Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to spend a rainy day with a WFO

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I had a good day cooking. Today was rainy so I couldn't do other yard work. I just spent the day getting to know my oven. 
I started with some sourdough bread. These are not the finest loaves I've ever cooked, but they were my first from the oven. The oven spring was impressive. 

I decided on spatchcock chicken for dinner. I wanted to do some live fire roasting. 

Thyme, oregano, and rosemary from the yard. 

Herbs, S&P, and EVOO on the bird. Stupid simple. 

New potatoes, S&P, olive oil, and oregano. 

Potatoes into the oven. 

All the goodies into the oven. Corn is wrapped in foil. 

This is one of the better chickens I've ever eaten. 

The sides.

Plated. I need a diamond plate...

A crisp with some home grown blackberries a coworker gave me. 

Finished. 

Thanks for looking y'all. Life is good my friends. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    That puts the A in awesome 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @DoubleEgger Today was a good day. Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Dude. Wow. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker Thanks my friend. Today didn't suck. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Dammit!

thats all i got

Little Rock, AR

• SciAggie
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist That's enough. Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Epic!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina Thanks. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I may need to stop reading your posts.  I can't express how jealous I am of that oven and your skills.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Legume Thanks my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    You're learning curve is taking off.  This is great!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Your food looks fantastic. That oven has got to be more fun than a person can stand. :)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Simply awesome! We all know the hard work you put into this oven, enjoy. Looks like you got that part covered though. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    There's a place throughout Fl and up the East Coast called Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza.  They have many dishes just about all done in their coal ovens and everything is great!  Their wings are some of the best!   
    I can't wait to see what you do next.  
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Dredger @pgprescott I won't lie; I really enjoyed playing with that thing. @thetrim There is a learning curve for sure but it's not as bad as I feared. It is easy to get the oven too hot but I think that's just me wanting to see fire :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Just WAY too cool!  Completely filled with awe and envy!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    @SciAggie thing sounds like cooking on the egg. Keep the post coming. Love it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Great cooks right there.  Nailed it.  BTW-magazine quality pics as well.  As mentioned above, you quickly climbed the learning curve.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @thetrim There is a restaurant in Oakland called Camino that cooks everything on a big hearth or in a wood oven. http://caminorestaurant.com/
    I had the chance to eat there and the food as well as the experience was spectacular. Cooking food beyond pizzas is definitely how I intend to use the oven.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Very cool! I think most people think it's only used for pizza/hoagies. It will be fun seeing your cooks with this thing!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @WeberWho Thanks.  
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    edited June 2017
    Options
    thetrim said:
    There's a place throughout Fl and up the East Coast called Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza.  They have many dishes just about all done in their coal ovens and everything is great!  Their wings are some of the best!   
    Then the one near me needs major help. I have been a few times, and while it was ok, it is nowhere near as good as you described. 

This WFO look incredible!  I have watched the build on Instagram. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That there is a well deserved meal and impressive cook. Looks fantastic, and I would love some of that bread right now. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Sea2Ski Thanks. The bread was pretty good. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Oh...WFO is wood fired oven. I had to click because I had no idea. 
    Looks awesome and I'm jealous. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Frikkin awesome. You have mastered the curve on the WFO already. Congrats!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• thetrim
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    thetrim said:
    Then the one near me needs major help. I have been a few times, and while it was ok, it is nowhere near as good as you described. 

This WFO look incredible!  I have watched the build on Instagram. 
    Where are you?   I've been to several and feel like they have very consistent results.   I like the pizza, wings, and meatballs.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Nicely done sir!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    WFO in "moto lingo" has a completely different meaning! BUT... an excellent exhibit of your and your oven's talents.  FABULOUS!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM