Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cook do YOU have the most trouble with?

Options
bucky925
bucky925 Posts: 2,029
As the title says, what do you have the most trouble nailing?  I see a bunch of "how to rib" posts, and brisket (which I have not yet tried).  The ribs to me are easy, maybe my taste are numbed by the bourbon after a L&S  =)  In any case mine are buffalo wings.  Tried direct, burnt, indirect, chewy, I will continue to try but that's my trouble spot.  How about yours?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    In my humble opinion, it's harder to cook a "perfect" whole beef clod than just about anything. Why? Three very different large muscles in one mass that all finish at a different temp. 
    On that same note, whole clod is my favorite overnight cook. I enjoy the challenge. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    I had been having trouble with pulled pork.  Never could get the temperature right or something.  New thermometers are getting closer.  Ribs, I can do blindfolded now.  Yum. 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Marshmallows on a campfire. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• eightyfive
    eightyfive Posts: 125
    Options
    Pizza
    I am incapable of not burning​ the bottom. Incapable. 
    BGE L, Minimax, iGrill 2, Kick Ash Basket, CGS AR,  various and sundry overpriced accessories...
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    My brisket is lacking 

This is my goal for the summer months. Make better brisket. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Steak. Any kind of steak. I don't know if there simply ARE no good steaks here, or if I simply don't know how to select a good one, or I just can't cook one. The last really good one I cooked was right after I bought my egg. For years before that, my steaks sucked. My first one on the egg and I thought my troubles were over. It was a fluke as I haven't had a good one since. I'm sick of failing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Steak. Any kind of steak. I don't know if there simply ARE no good steaks here, or if I simply don't know how to select a good one, or I just can't cook one. The last really good one I cooked was right after I bought my egg. For years before that, my steaks sucked. My first one on the egg and I thought my troubles were over. It was a fluke as I haven't had a good one since. I'm sick of failing.
    Michael, I'm not being a smart*ss but it might be the source of your meat. I'm not saying you need to buy prime and I sure don't myself, but when I want steak I avoid grocery store beef. I'm also into buying sub-primals and aging them myself. Dry aged steaks rock, cheap cuts are a waste of time and money. One last thought - are you over cooking your steaks? Personally there is nothing worst than over cooked dried out beef! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Ribs. I admit it. I've done a few good ones, but most suck ass. I dunno.  :s
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Any where I fail to adequately monitor the cook or realize I am not monitoring due to becoming overcome by the adult supervisory beverages.  All that said, I likely hose up the hot and fast shrimp cooks more than most.  Window of success is quite narrow and as above, I can easily miss it.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Ribs. I admit it. I've done a few good ones, but most suck ass. I dunno.  :s
    I echo that! I have more failed rib cooks than I'd like to admit! When I do have a great cook I fool myself thinking I finally nailed it. But next time, no dice! Can't tell you how many sure fire methods I've tried only to be disappointed. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I've messed up a couple of briskets, and have made a couple of good briskets but feel like I've never nailed one. Ribs, butts, pulled chicken, turkeys all good on. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I'm in the rib camp...never are amazing.  I won't cook them anymore because they never render right I can't get good pull back (last rack cooled at 275 for almost 6 hrs).  They are usually tender but not that great. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    Whole chicken. I've done one, beer can, the first on the EGG, that was just shy of amazing. The next 3 were half cooked on one side or just dry and chewy.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    RRP said:
    Michael, I'm not being a smart*ss but it might be the source of your meat. I'm not saying you need to buy prime and I sure don't myself, but when I want steak I avoid grocery store beef. I'm also into buying sub-primals and aging them myself. Dry aged steaks rock, cheap cuts are a waste of time and money. One last thought - are you over cooking your steaks? Personally there is nothing worst than over cooked dried out beef! 
    Thanks, Ron. I have purchased steaks from everywhere near me. Grocery stores as well as the only so-called butcher shop in town. Also Sam's some years ago. Some suck less than others, but that's the best I can say about any of them. 

There is only one store that sells prime steaks, but I have never tried one. Frankly, they don't LOOK like prime. Hardly any marbling. I guess I should at least try one. 

I have about decided to join Costco, but it chafes my butt to have to join a place like that just for the privilege of buying a steak! For my buying habits, likely a losing proposition. And I have to drive 20 miles in a direction I never go to do it. 

Ok, I'll stop whining now. And have yet another chicken breast.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,406
    Options
    Last I checked, if you have reasonable access ( your definition) it costs around $1.10 per week for a membership.  You can easily recoup that in the meat department and if you enjoy pistachios then the ROI is even quicker.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Brisket. Always good but not great. Guest always love it but still not quite there. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    @PoppasGrill you should try a spatchcock chicken if you haven't done so 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    My grilled veggies suck the most. Amongst many other things I cook that suck. About the only thing I can cook well is a butt. Yippie
    Snellville, GA

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    Everything else, I'm not scared of.

Ribs, hit or miss.  Every time.   :s

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks, Ron. I have purchased steaks from everywhere near me. Grocery stores as well as the only so-called butcher shop in town. Also Sam's some years ago. Some suck less than others, but that's the best I can say about any of them. 

There is only one store that sells prime steaks, but I have never tried one. Frankly, they don't LOOK like prime. Hardly any marbling. I guess I should at least try one. 

I have about decided to join Costco, but it chafes my butt to have to join a place like that just for the privilege of buying a steak! For my buying habits, likely a losing proposition. And I have to drive 20 miles in a direction I never go to do it. 

Ok, I'll stop whining now. And have yet another chicken breast.
    This is no lie...just today my wife and I decided we are going to cancel our COSTCO membership where we just joined the first of this year. Hopefully we can get some of our membership fee back, but if not at least we won't lose more money in the future! We have evaluated what we buy, what we like and don't like from both Sam's and Costco and hands down the winner was Sam's. While some people have Costcos that carry prime ours carries very little what they seem to call prime and what they have is way overpriced! Calling it marbling is a hoot! It's nothing but fat, crappy beef! 
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    Competition style chicken thighs... 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • AVEngineer
    AVEngineer Posts: 120
    Options
    Whole chicken and whole turkey. I have tried it whole and spatchcock with baring results. It is usually undercooked in parts and dry and over cooked in others, and I always blow the finish time and dinner is served late. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    My chicken in the egg is lacking more often than not. 
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Ribs, no doubt about it. The first time they were fantastic, thought they were easy. Been hit or miss since, mostly miss. Still good, but not out of this world good like the first couple racks I did.

I have more consistent results with briskets, once I started buying prime.
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Fried chicken.  I can't properly fry a chicken to save my life. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    I've got plenty of things that I need to get better on. There's a few things that I have down well, my niece's husband has been raving for a week over the pork loin that I did. The marinade spatchcock turkey and different pork loin have my relatives talking about buying an Egg. I can't cook a steak and I don't do low and slows.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hub said:
    Fried chicken.  I can't properly fry a chicken to save my life. 
    @Hub
     Brother Hub, this is something that I excel at. Not trying to brag but I have been frying for over 40 years. Down here we do more frying than anything. If you are open to it, give me a call sometime during the week and I promise you I will have you frying chicken better than the Colonel himself. If need be, I will gladly post my number if you don't have it from previous posts.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @hub I was with you on that one. I recently tried the ChefSteps "can't f it up" fried chicken. Problem solved - incredible fried chicken!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Beef ribs still give me a bit of grief. I'll nail them one time and then the next they are not as tender as I want. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon