Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hack job on trimming brisket

Options
So I was trying to watch the Masters while trimming and may have ruined this thing.  I'll admit I'm usually not good at trimming briskets, but this one I feel like I did everything wrong.  

Anyone in Atlanta - next time you do a brisket let me sit and and learn how to trim these things!

Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    I've watch Franklin's trim video 100 times and I still struggle with the technique. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It be fine. Cook away!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's all good. Egg on. 
    I recommend watching this fella if you wanna really be the talk of the forum :rofl:
    https://youtu.be/hGAP1DG_Vs8
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,220
    Options
    It's all good. Egg on. 
    I recommend watching this fella if you wanna really be the talk of the forum :rofl:
    Hold My Beer...
    https://youtu.be/DpjHCRF8rAo

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Hahahaha @NPHuskerFL that is incredible. @SGH posted an unbelievable carving video a while back. 
  • EggDan
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Whoops already posted!
  • DoubleEgger
    edited April 2017
    Options
    EggDan said: @SGH posted an unbelievable carving video a while back. 
    That's the one I posted. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm gonna cry myself to sleep in the fetal position after being subjected to that clip @DoubleEgger :cry:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • EggDan
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    You can't untrim. I have a friend that just pulls them from cryo, hits them with salt and pepper and tosses them on.  They're fantastic.
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    I cook a lot of things that turn out really well on the egg, brisket is not one of them. Trimmed one up today, looks like a hatch job but hoping for the best.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Legume said:
    You can't untrim. I have a friend that just pulls them from cryo, hits them with salt and pepper and tosses them on.  They're fantastic.
    Until the last few SRFs I've had, that's all I did. Never needed trimming. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I always think I have butchered it but they turn out fine.  What you have there looks good to me. Just my $.02 but the intramuscular fat is what adds goodness to a brisket. You could trim off all the fat and cooked on an egg it would still be good. I still target around 1/4 inch of the fat cap but I err on the side of "too much" trimming. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• GoooDawgs
    Options
    Anyone have a good video other than Franklins that you'd recommend?  I'm thinking of callin the local butchers to see if I can watch them a few times to learn.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    doesnt look like you trimmed much. Carry on 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Anyone have a good video other than Franklins that you'd recommend?  I'm thinking of callin the local butchers to see if I can watch them a few times to learn.

Honestly @GoooDawgs , don't sweat it.  Just watch a few more online - Franklin has a few, as do others.  Enjoy the ride my friend.  

Even if you ever completely screw one up, amazing brisket chili is your lemonade.

Phoenix 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    It's all good. Egg on. 
    Watching this hack never gets old.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,462
    edited April 2017
    Options
    As above-every brisket has its own makeup and profile based on the cow and the butcher who prepped it.  Just google "how to trim a packer brisket" and you will get many options.  Franklin's video keeps it pretty straight-forward.  A sharp knife is your best frined.  FWIW-
    Edit: your brisket will not suffer for your trim job.  Looks fine to me.  Just make sure none of the cow is exposed to direct heat that bypasses your heat deflector.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Is it just me or is the point here bigger than the flat? Right where the white starts in the middle is the point, correct?   

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Your description is right and the flat is running above the point with the cap down.  The fat cap you are seeing forms the boundary between the flat and point and runs across the entire cut.  The key is to get a good rendering.  Also-you may want to cut a notch across the end of flat perpendicular to the grain so you know the direction to slice once the meteorite is formed.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap.  Always appreciate it! First prime brisket here, looking forward to it!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @GoooDawgs - the process for all briskets is the same independent of the grade of beef.  So just go with what you have learned from prior cooks and enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Those videos above, dear god stop the Carnage.....
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• GoooDawgs
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Smelling good over here. We're about 8 hrs in, grid temp 235, dome 275 (need to collaborate those today)  Flat is about 170, some of the skinnier pieces are higher. 

When the flat is pretty thin the whole way up,  it makes finding the right place to stick the temp probe difficult.  As you can see in the pics above, the point starts fairly early so I have to be careful not to take the temp of the point.

It's wrapped in BP and back on for a few more hours.

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Definitely got the meteorite look.  Just go with the feel -as long as you get it you are there.  And if some of the flat is not playing, declare victory with the great majority and give it the cooling rack treatment for around 15-20 minutes then FTC.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and eats.
  • GoooDawgs
    Options

Pulled this about 192 internal temp.  Probed nicely and was very jiggly.  So far seems to be much juicier than my past briskets.

Rested on the counter for 20 minutes,  then wrapped the butcher paper with foil and letting her sleep in the warming drawer  (first time using the warming drawer, we'll see how it compares to the cooler.  No towel around it now)

Going to slice in about 3-4 hours.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. Looks good to me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lots of awesome brisket threads happening lately! The hack job brisket turned out to be my best one yet.  Overall very happy with how moist this one was.  The point was exceptional and I feel like I finally got the right amount of rendered fat.

The flat had a little too much fat due to me not trimming it down (it was almost 1/2" of fat cap) but still delicious.

I did pull it at about 192, and I think that made a huge difference as in the past I was closer to 200 or 203.  The 4 hour rest in the warming drawer (about 150 degrees) was excellent.

I still need to work on trimming these packers (this one took me about 45 minutes!) and I need to get better on slicing.  I saw a video of Franklin putting his hand on the point and moving it in a circle to find the line, I'll give that a try next time.  I assume he's trimming fat cap up, right?  So I may need to flip it over next time.

Overall it was fantastic and I'm looking forward to my next one next week.

Thanks guys, 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Way to bring it home.  Congrats on the cook and result.  
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Looks amazing! Very nice cook for sure. Nothing better than buttah brisket. I have a feeling this will be the summer of brisket thanks to Costco's full prime packers.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie