Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multi level on mini-max

Options
Any good ideas for multi-level cooking on a minimax? I will be taking it North again to our cabin and the boys have requested wings. With 6 of us eating I would like to be able to put on more than the single grate will hold.
EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    A "good" idea for Multi-level on the MM. No
    Trying to fight the short space on the MM and cooking on 2 levels, for me, would not be worth the effort.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    find a basket, its an easy cook. this was 20 wings in a mini size
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159852/who-needs-an-xl

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Buy a MM Woo from Tom at the Ceramic grill store and flip it up side down. Then add a small grid on top. Someone on the forum has done this already and posted pics of it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    Options
    This:

Achieved with a BGE mini SS grid and some stainless steel nuts, bolts and washers. Full blog article:

https://thecooksdigest.co.uk/2016/10/29/two-level-raised-cooking-in-a-big-green-egg/

Enjoy maxxing the minimax. I cook most days using it with two and raised level cooking.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    Do you think it would be possible to use another MM grid if not raised as high as your setup? @Stormbringer
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder.  Been intending to buy a mini grate to put on top of my inverted woo to achieve multi level cooking in my MM. 
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    kjs said:
    Do you think it would be possible to use another MM grid if not raised as high as your setup? @Stormbringer
    No. Unless you're talking about only lifting about 1.5"-2" above the felt line.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL yeah I am not really looking for "multi-level cooking" but just would prefer my direct cooks on the MM not be so close to the coals. So looking for a way to go raised direct on the MM.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,084
    Options
    kjs said:
    @NPHuskerFL yeah I am not really looking for "multi-level cooking" but just would prefer my direct cooks on the MM not be so close to the coals. So looking for a way to go raised direct on the MM.
    Agree with @NPHuskerFL on the spacing. Have you tried not putting so much lump in? This would move the top of the coals away from the SS grid. If you do want to raise it up a bit, you could put bolts at the edge of the SS grid so it rests on the fire ring.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I looked at the CGS site and the Woo seems like a decent option. It adds some versatility, including pizza and raised direct. Appreciate everyone's thoughts, now to make a decision...
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    kjs said:
    This is what a lot of us use on the MM for raise direct. Also works for indirect.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/woo-ring-for-minimax-big-green-egg/products/150-mini-max-woo-bge

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The inverted woo with 8" charcoal grate from bottom of smoky joe weber worked really well on a recent mexico trip... We roasted chiles up top, shrimp down below and achieved mesquite flavored perfection.   Then we roasted garlic and onions with mushrooms up top and cooked filet mignons down below which were all awesome.   In between, we used woo, bge mm platesetter, legs up and drip pan to 14 hour slow smoke a. Pork butt.  I went this route absolutely convinced that id have to add fuel.   Well, the temp was rock steady at 220 for 14 hrs and when i pulled the shoulder off the fuel was maybe 60% spent.  Amazing lesson in efficiency.
  • NewbeeMinimax
    Options
    I use woo from ceramicgrill store, place custom made 13.5 inch steel grid on the woo, place custom made steel "inverted woo" (pictures attached) and then place 10 inch steel grid on top. This gives me two levels of cooking--about 13 inches--raised on lower grid and 10 inches--raised on top level.
    dimensions of "inverted woo"--12.25 larger diameter, 2.25 height, 8 inch smaller diameter. So the lower grid is about an inch higher from felt line and upper grid is about 3.5 inches from felt line.

All custom work made by michaelcustomgrill works. Michael is a great guy --he knows how to keep customers happy.

Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox