Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is the BGE worth it

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I own a Weber gas grill, 2 Weber kettle grills, Brinkman water smoker, and a Brinkman wood box smoker. I am looking hard at a large BGE. Question is are they worth it?

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    EZ, Weber kettle, Smokey Mtn smoker, Large and medium BGE, YES!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    EZ,
    i liked my kettle so much that i still have it, but havent used it for the last 4 years when i got the first egg. as for the water smoker, the egg does a better job with a lot less work. its much better

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Hi EZ,
    In a word, you betcha.
    I have 2 large eggs.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• EZ,
    Throw out the gasser and that’s my line up. You would not have a line up like that if you didn’t truly enjoy the whole Q’n experience. The Egg will allow you to expand that experience and tune it to a level that your not currently used to. The Egg ain’t for everyone. It’s for people who enjoy the experience of Q,n from start to finish. Is that you?

• BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    EZ,
    ...not if you want to use it as a floaty toy in the pool. No, if you plan on using it as fetch toy for your dog. And No, if you are the type that does not want to make their neighbors jealous.[p]But if you want total control over temps and the ability to cook low and slow for 20+ hours and then fire her to 800+ for a little sear and to have some of the best food you ever tasted then I say ya, give it a shot.[p]Plus chicks dig it.

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Sundown,[p] I concur with everyone else. So much so I am about to buy a SECOND Eggtra Large Egg.[p] I know before long I will be looking at a third one or maybe two Large Eggs..
  • EZ,[p]Another point is the darned thing's longevity. My large is going on 6 years old now. I've only replaced the little ceramic do-hickey at the bottom of the fire box (since replaced with a cast iron piece) and that was free of charge under warranty.[p]My water smoker rusted out after three years. The old gassers required major burner overhauling every couple or so. And yet the Egg just sits there, year after year, cranking out great food consistently while requiring very little up keep or expense.[p]Best money I've ever spent on a 'grill'.[p]Now, the downside is that once you own one you're strangely compelled to buy a few different sizes but that can't be helped...[p]RE
  • Celtic Wolf
    BurntRaw,[p] All the chicks in my front yard ran and hid when they saw it.. Ticked the Rooster off...[p] .o0( you know the squirrels are gone too)
  • Celtic Wolf
    randomegger,[p] It's a sub-liminal audio message that gets paid each time you open the dome. The more you cook on it the more you want to buy another one.[p] .o0(now where is my aluminum hat?)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    EZ,
    absolutely!!! Keep in mind the BGE is a lifetime product - not some rust bucket that you'll be kicking to the curb in 3 years. Many of us are multiple egg owners - it gets in your blood.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • At her last yard sale, my wife sold my webber, my brinkman and a big barrel texas smoker with wood box. I had to agree with her about getting rid of them since I had not used anything other than my large BGE for over two years. Everything from the pizza that Iremember from Germany to fresh gulf caught Grouper to ribs that fall off the bone to a 12 hour lo-n-slo pork shoulder to even the best 8 minute porterhouse anyone had ever tasted have all been done on my egg. Yes the BGE is worth it.
    Fowlmouth
    PS forgot about the roast lamb, biscuits, tomatoe pie, chicken, chicken, chicken, veggies .......
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    EZ,
    Funny, I had very nearly that same array at one time (last gas grill was a Thermos, even). When I moved, I tried to sell them. I did manage to sell the stickburner - bought a burger with the proceeds. The lawn guy was willing to take the gasser, but only when I sweetend the deal with the propane tank. And the kettles??? Somebody took one when I put them out at the curb.[p]And the BGE just keeps on cookin'. Yeah, it's wqrth it.[p]Ken

• Celtic Wolf,[p]It'll do you no good. I've been wearing the same chain mail hat made of pull tabs ever since I got the first one and now I have three.[p]RE
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 147
    EZ,[p]If you don't mind a little bit of ribbin', you actually have a great start on your big green egg experience right now. Look at all the tool storage capacity you have been accumulating all these years. Why, you might have to get a few accessories, just to make sure you keep dem other boxes occupied.[p]My wife bought my BGE for Christmas 3 or 4 years back and I thought she was crazy, until I started cookin on the thing. Then it has been fired up for one reason or another almost every weekend. The flavor experience with the BGE is hard to believe but not too hard to get used to.[p]I (we) think that once you get into eggin', you'll not really require a lot of further use from the other cookers you mentioned. However, you will have a range of equipment that will definitely get any Q'in job done that you can imagine.[p]Good Luck to ya![p]Cajun
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    EZ,
    I bought the BGE over the objections of my wife, I had a nice table made, and have bought many other new toys
    (accessories) to go with it. In less than two weeks, even my wife was bragging on the BGE. She is not convinced that I need another one yet, but I'll give her a little more time.[p]As to value -- I will say it is sort of a toss-up between the BGE and this Forum, because the biggest single change in my cooking is the range of things I am fixing, based on what I have learned here.[p]Pizza, grilled fruit, ginger lime chicken kabobs, salt crusted fish, fatties, Mr Toad's pork loin, ABT's, baksed sweet potatoes, roast prime, and more that I had never event thought of cooking before.

• Rumrunner
    Rumrunner Posts: 563
    EZ, in a nutshell......YES.......small, short learning curve; less time spent on fire and temp control; plus ditto to what everyone else said.

• bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    EZ,
    You may have asked the wrong crowd......we are all passionate about our BGE. [p]One thing I can tell you that might express how good a BGE is.......I have owned all of those smokers and grills that you have listed. I have one now the BGE.....and no I won't trade it you for all of yours.

• Whitetail,
    You bet I love outdoor cooking. Fell in with some guys at a sportsmen's club and they do some serious cooking. Am looking to improve my cooking. Thought BGE may be what I have been looking for. thanks for repy

• Celtic Wolf, [p]I am glad I asked and the the replies that I have received have sold me. Now only question is wether to buy locally or on the net.

• BobS, Thanks for your repy. I am sold and will get a large BGE. I greatly enjoy outdoor cooking and realized some time ago that woman think the meat is much better when cooked by a man, Gofigure!

• fishlessman,
    I'm sold. May pick one up tomorrow.

• EZ, I would rather give up my house than my EGGS. Best thing I ever spent $$$$ on !!! We never use the oven. Everything gets Egged, desserts, fruit, vegies, meat, pizza....

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    EZ,[p]I am a big advocate of buying locally because I like being able to grab someone's throat if it's called for. MY local deale in Mansfield, MA has bee great! For the past 7 years if I had a problem he took care of it on the spot. He stocks extra parts and thinga-ma-bobs as well. He usually has a couple of different kinds of charcoal in stock. For the most part his proces are competitive once you figure in shipping form an on line house. So, look around and see if you have any dealers in the area and talk to them and see what they can do. One of the quickest test I've found is if they cook on one you can count on what he has to say. Good luck.
  • Celtic Wolf
    EZ,

Ask questions. If you get the run around try another place.. Ask questions here if you aren't sure of the answers you are getting.[p] Buy Local!!

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    EZ,
    You might start a new post of what to buy with it since it sounds like you are buying one. You will need a thermal barrier for indirect. The platesetter is convenient, but cost $30 (?). Firebricks will work, but you chould go to a brick supply store, not a fireplace store. You will have to decide about a table, nest etc. Go to the Naked Whiz's site and check out tables, firebricks, pizzastines, lump reviews.

[ul][li]whiz[/ul]
  • jwirlwind
    jwirlwind Posts: 319
    EZ,
    When you purchase an Egg, you are now above any other chef and his cooker. It takes awhile for some people to get to the top, but those of us here are already there. Go for the gusto my friend. [p]Chef Jerry

• Edintx, Is a pizzastine what you drink beer from while making pizza on the egg? Thought so. My favorite pizza stein is not ceramic or green, but that would be a nice accessory for the BGE. [p]Bill