Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Recent adventures in baking bread...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum

I got into bread baking recently, sort of my thing to do in 2017. Many folks here really helped out with tips, etc. so I thought I would post a few recent bakes (done in the big kitchen clock).  Still working on getting the sourdough to my liking, but I think I'm pretty close.

First shot at hamburger buns. Slightly overproofed, and should have baked them 5mins less. But still pretty good. And way better than store buns.

First shot at challah. Spinkled kosher salt, cumin, and nigella seeds on top. Need to work on my braiding technique.

I think this was a Honey Wheat and Oatmeal loaf

Two loaves I baked up for the hog butchering in @20stone 's garage some time ago. The one on the left had some sourdough levain in it, but I cheated with a little yeast since I was short on time. Flavor was good though. The one on the right was sort of a kitchen sink loaf - whole wheat, flax, spelt, honey, rye, and some other stuff too probably.   

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It would appear you've embraced and nailed the bread baking on the egg.  Really strong stuff brother!  Beautiful baked bread.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I say outstanding...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Dude, that looks great. But don't you need to be working on a French baguette for the ham in @20stone's garage?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It would appear you've embraced and nailed the bread baking on the egg.  Really strong stuff brother!  Beautiful baked bread.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that these were done indoors. The title and post have been edited.

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Dude, that looks great. But don't you need to be working on a French baguette for the ham in @20stone's garage?
    on the list. Problem is that list keeps growing!! 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    caliking said:
    bgebrent said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that these were done indoors. The title and post have been edited.
    Somebody needs, Needs, NEEDS a wood fired bread oven
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The Challah looks outstanding. That's next on my baking to-do list. I'm finally getting consistent results that I like with sourdough and want to expand into enriched breads next. It looks like your results were excellent. The buns look really nice as well. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Excellent!! Every last one of 'em!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    on the list. Problem is that list keeps growing!! 
    Priorities, dude. Priorities. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Excellent!! Every last one of 'em!!
    Thanks. Your bread thread(s) in the past few months were very helpful. Lot of good info in them.

SciAggie said:
    The Challah looks outstanding. That's next on my baking to-do list. I'm finally getting consistent results that I like with sourdough and want to expand into enriched breads next. It looks like your results were excellent. The buns look really nice as well. 
    Thanks, Gary. I've been trying recipes from the Hamelman book, and have liked almost all of them so far. 

• caliking
    Options
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    bgebrent said:

Somebody needs, Needs, NEEDS a wood fired bread oven
    somebody who lives in the Heights? :smiley:

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Those look mediocre-at-best :) you better stick to making naan. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    They look fantastic!

Options
    Strong work cali, all of it looks wonderful. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Looks good. I'd like to find a good sour dough and hamburger bun recipe.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Your game is strong.  
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Nice, you need a dedicated meatless bake only egg!  I've been having fun experimenting with 3-day cold fermented pizza dough, even tried naan but it puffed like a balloon in my uuni 2s and burned the top  :)
    Also thinking getting sourdough starter from here.
    canuckland