Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on ditching social media...

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Millenial here. I do Facebook and instagram. I got into it late and only kinda care about it. I've debated getting off of them several times for the security/ liability/ whatever reasons. But haven't yet. I keep remembering what my late father said years ago, you don't have to like technology, but you need to keep up with it. So I keep posting random stupid crap, and try to keep up, some goes here. Like @stlcharcoal  said, my real friends are in real life. Kinda funny thought, as I've made some real friends on this here social media site. Cheaters though, and you know who you are.  
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Wife calls it "my fake friends" followers.  Some are old school buddies, USN and coworkers or old coworkers and of course eggheads. I use IG more than FB. Lots of family on FB so I keep it open. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Have a FB account but quickly learned it's not for me.  I don't want to have to prove every day that my kids are smarter, better looking, my vacations better and generally I'm just a better and more interesting person than everyone else.  I keep it, but I don't ever post or comment.  Just for family updates and I know how to find a few old college buds.  That's about it for me, plus this of course.  I think 75% of my posts are from the shjtter.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I'm really surprised with the amount of people here that don't have facebook. I'm not alone after all. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options

Somewhere, it's Friday.

The correct response.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I don't twitter, facebook, etc.  I'll go long periods without posting on this forum.  I initially used it to learn things.  Then, later, to teach things I learned, I like to help people.  I'm a bit bored with it now, but it's therapeutic to post stuff here and then.  Keep it under control. 

Talk and interact with real people.  I make a point of having friends over for dinner and meeting up with forum people, and there are many of them I have good personal relationships with.  (some, I like to troll).  Rock on.
    Options
    I participate in a couple forums, where I can learn and help.
    I knew how these Internet offerings could impact lives of myself and others, and chose not to participate.
    My Beautiful Wife, had an unfavorable experience with a certain form of social media, and has become extremely hesitant, and rightfully so, to provide any personal information, images, etc., of herself, friends or family, since.
    There are some sick, twisted and dangerous folks out there, trying to wreck people's lives, and social media is a very fertile ground to which they play, anonymously.
    I hope, if you participate, you find it worthy of the time invested, and the risk it may offer.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm an AWANA director at my church.  AWANA is a Christian child ed program.  It's been suggested to me to have a Facebook account.  I've rejected that.  If anyone I know wants to get in touch with me, they have to email or call my cell.  My email & cell number are widely known at church and not a secret.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I don't have a FB page.....never will.    
    Great post sir. I agree your response. Thanks for your insight.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• NewBerlinEggprentice
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Check out this amazing psychic.

I've seen that video. Should be eye opening to the naive.

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

New Berlin, WI

• Legume said:
      I think 75% of my posts are from the shjtter.
    Multitasking....it's science, Bro!

New Berlin, WI

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I believe that social media is the responsibility and decision of each individual. Social Media can be tremendously beneficial, if utilized in a healthy way. On the other hand, and like anything else, there are risk like addiction, overuse or miss-use.

The technology is not at fault.....the users needs to use what is available that can best benefit them. I ain't got no Facebook account...and prob never will. Happy to be here on the forum....and enjoy it for what it is....information and recreation.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Some interestings posts above. Here is a shorter follow up than the OP...

First of all, social media has yet to destroy my life, it has not interfered with my real life commitments. I still function as pretty high level father, and a husband who is constantly trying to be better.

My original point was that I felt as though I was searching for something mythical with my IG account. That's silliness and I think it will be going the way of my FB account.

This fourm has provided more to me about egging than I could have learned in years of trial and error. I think this forum is different than the other social media platforms. I will continue to read, learn and comment as before.

I hope you've enjoyed this discussion as much as I have.

New Berlin, WI

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    Options
    I don't mess around with our company accounts very much--not my forte--but on the occasion I do repost something to the company IG page, I'm usually sitting on the excise bike at the gym, or waiting on something where I can't really get to involved with something else.  So, we have about 1000 followers and I'll repost a pic.  Within 5-10 minutes, we have 50+ likes.  Blows my mind that that many people interact with the picture in that short of time.  I suppose out of 1000, that's only 5%, but it's still surprising how many are IMMEDIATELY interacting.  When I got my MBA, it was before social media became monetized, so it was targeting direct mail, email blasts, banner ads, etc and the rate of impressions was always well under 1%.  These response numbers are freakin' crazy.

I have a buddy that is a blogger with 200K+ followers.  I can't post what he makes for posting one picture on Instagram, but it's amazing.  He'll get tens of thousands of impressions/views, and always get 5-10K likes within 24 hrs.  Instagram = InstantResults for a company.  The stats and data they have for targeting are mind blowing.

You are being used.......

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have a FB, IG, Google+, AVS Forum and an account here.  Last year when all the election stuff started I stopped posting on FB and took the apps off all of my devices.  I now only go on once and a while and every time I do I ask myself why did I come back.  I used to post cooks all the time, but I have gotten away from that in the last few months or so.  I am mostly on the AVS Forum because I am building my home theater and we have a local group here in KC that get together and watch movies at one the members home theater.  Next weekend we are having a home theater crawl and will be visiting 10 or so different homes and one of the members I met last month a movie viewing is having all 50 of us over to his home the eat BBQ.  

So I my hobbie drive my online intrusts right now and I trying to spend more time with my wife and kid.  I don't get on Google+ or IG much that much.

@stlcharcoal, I did go on FB and like your page by the way and then got off.  Awesome product by the way. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like turtles.