Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL or Large for two people (plus some entertaining)?

Options

Comments

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,367
    Options
    2 people here. We have a large and a joe jr. we use the joe most of the time and we have dinner guests frequently. I can't think of a single time I needed more space then the large provides. I wouldn't want to be firing up an xl to quickly sear a sv chop
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • HCOJ
    HCOJ Posts: 14
    Options
    Bigger is always better if the XL is in your budget.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    hows the lump prices and availability in the UK.  every time you size up it burns more. my first couple years i was burning about 400 pounds plus minus. with the large you can grill for a crowd of 8 to 12 depending what your grilling or smoke enough pulled pork for 60 plus. a mini will easily cook for two.
    There is a supplier that will do 100 kg (220 lbs) pallet deliveries for about £110, but that was recently on sale at £76, which I think is good.  BGE Lump is £20 for 20 lbs.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Large
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Eoin said:
    hows the lump prices and availability in the UK.  every time you size up it burns more. my first couple years i was burning about 400 pounds plus minus. with the large you can grill for a crowd of 8 to 12 depending what your grilling or smoke enough pulled pork for 60 plus. a mini will easily cook for two.
    There is a supplier that will do 100 kg (220 lbs) pallet deliveries for about £110, but that was recently on sale at £76, which I think is good.  BGE Lump is £20 for 20 lbs.
    thats good pricing on the pallets
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I won't try to speak to your situation or how/if things might change, but will just add to everyone else's thoughts that since I've owned my large BGE I have never once felt I needed an extra large. Like you, we are two with some entertaining a handful of times per year. You'll have to weigh whether the once in however many cooks the XL size would be helpful is worth all the other times you're heating up more area than you need for the majority of your cooks. Either way, good luck. I'm sure you'll be pleased regardless.
    Stillwater, MN
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Large is perfect for me and SWMBO, and I've cooked for up to six (two other couples) many times without needing more space. At least in my experience, there is more room on the Large than I thought there was when I looked at it in the store.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • aggieljh
    Options
    I think the large is the perfect size.  
    Cameron, TX   Large BGE, 36" Blackstone, Yoder 640 w/Comp Cart
  • fishlessman
    Options
    to get an idea on the large for grilling, this is 7 whole chicken breasts, enough to feed 14

fukahwee maine

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I have a large and can't say I would need anything bigger. Crammed 34 pounds of rib roasts on it once and it handled it just fine.
  • HellrodKC
    Options
    Large.

I'm in the same situation (cooking for 2, plus more when entertaining) and have not needed any more grill space. If you find find yourself wanting more down the road, get an adjustable rig like other people have mentioned. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Large plus a Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig does the trick for us. I have a KJ Jr that we use for sides every now and then. 

We're a family of 4, entertain fairly often.
    This is my approach for larger cooks. Works great for us most of the time but there are times when I wish I had a mini for a quick small cook for just me and the wife. Since I don't have a mini I just fire up the gasser for those quick burgers and dogs type cooks.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Eoin
    Options
    to get an idea on the large for grilling, this is 7 whole chicken breasts, enough to feed 14

My 4 boys would eat them in one sitting.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Eoin you need to introduce your boys to wild foraging or paying jobs!
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin you need to introduce your boys to wild foraging or paying jobs!
    Eldest boy has a job, eats more than his rent money though. Next has a Saturday job at a supermarket, but we get staff discount because of it (including off our Egg). Next 2 at school. We have a daughter too, but she's (mostly) gone.
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Large would probably suffice however, if an XL is within the budget I would go XL. There's no replacement for displacement. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:

those are about 3 pounds each, but this might work out better for you, this is in a large as well =)

chicken_002jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

those are about 3 pounds each, but this might work out better for you, this is in a large as well =)

chicken_002jpg
    Those must be big chickens at 3 lbs, more like turkeys!
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    Family of 2, plus 2 kids which sometimes eat grilled food.

For a while I was sulking that I was a cheapskate and only got the Large. Then for a little while I considered trading it in and getting an XL. Or just buying a 2nd small. Then, finally, I discovered the Ceramic Grill Store. And got myself an adjustable rig, essentially doubling my cooking area.

I've cooked for just the 2 of us, 4 of us, or parties as big as 18. Always more than enough food.

No regrets with the Large IF you get the adjustable rig. Without it, the cooking area is small if you're entertaining.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Eoin said:

chicken_002jpg
    Those must be big chickens at 3 lbs, more like turkeys!
    that bottom cook was from a poster way back, thats about 35 pounds of chicken
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options

If you want to cook indirect chicken, then take out three of those pieces out otherwise they'll overcook because they're not over the plate setter. That's the point I was making earlier. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

If you want to cook indirect chicken, then take out three of those pieces out otherwise they'll overcook because they're not over the plate setter. That's the point I was making earlier. 
    why would one cook chicken indirect =) i do do the cazzy wings indirect ;)

Image result for whole chicken breasts fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Options
    Indirect chicken works brilliantly on the XL at 500+ on the thermometer. Cooks evenly, no dryness, crispy skin.
  • Nogbaduk
    Options
    Eoin said:
    What do get with those prices mentioned?  If it comes with a nest, side tables, tools and what of lump they are about the same price as they are in the states.  How much do you entertain and for how many?  If only once and a while the large would be fine, but if on a regular basis say once a month or so I would get the XL.  We are two adults and one eight year old boy who doesn't eat a tone.   I got the XL for doing big cooks which I am glad I did.
    That's just the base price here.  It does include the 20% VAT (sales tax).

As a bundle the XL with nest, handler, place setter, side tables, ash tool, grid lifter and 1 bag of lump is £1,750 (USD 2,200 ish) from John Lewis.
    Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig can be imported but huge cost! Maybe think more about an XL...
  • Eoin
    Options
    Nogbaduk said:
    Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig can be imported but huge cost! Maybe think more about an XL...
    Where are you?  We are Lincolnshire.  Not sure if the other UK Eggers have XL Eggs, but maybe come and see one cooking actual food?
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    What do you cook when you entertain?  Is it more directly cooked things - burgers/hot dogs/etc?  If that is the case a Large egg and then a kettle to bring out when you entertain might save you some money over the XL, and provide a little extra versatility by having 2 cookers.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    two adults and small child here.... I have a large and a small, I have an AR with the large so I can expand my space. When I bought the large, I new I wanted the AR for the added space and versatility. I find with grilling I have lots of room, smoking  - ribs I can easily do four racks, one large brisket, several butts and multiple chickens.

If the price difference isn't huge I would probably opt for a XL just for the added room. For my the price difference was substantial so I opted for a large and AR, it was still cheaper and I could buy another egg sooner. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Options

I rotate the pieces when cooking large amounts, my egg runs hotter toward the hinge.  

Between this moot point, and not being able to maintain lower temps....I believe you don't have a Focking clue, how to operate a charcoal grill.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    Focker said:

I rotate the pieces when cooking large amounts, my egg runs hotter toward the hinge.  

Between this moot point, and not being able to maintain lower temps....I believe you don't have a Focking clue, how to operate a charcoal grill.  =)
    I have an XL, I don't have to rotate food.  ;)
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Large with sdj rig snd extender setup plus a minimax with woo...