Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KJ Lump

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    Never have had a bad experience with KJ lump. It's second only to rockwood IMO and not by much. I frequently mix the two brands together. 
    I've never had any problems or concerns with KJ, Rockwood, or Royal Oak.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I'll have to look for some. I get rockwood easy as can be locally but I'm down to save some money!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My two cents: I rank the Kamado Joe somewhere in the middle, to upper middle. Not as good as Rockwood and Ozark Oak (RIP) and slightly below Fogo, but better than BGE and Royal Oak (both red and green bags). If price is right, I would buy again but can't see myself using it exclusively.
    Stillwater, MN
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    looking good Ron.

Never tried the KJ.  I'm almost through a bag of Primo.  I like it a lot - seems very similar to RW.
    Phoenix 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    VB_egger said:
    Never have had a bad experience with KJ lump. It's second only to rockwood IMO and not by much. I frequently mix the two brands together. 
    Performance was very good thus far, this was only a couple hours cook, from lighting to pulling the salmon. Tomorrow I will be doing sausages, wings, pineapple and bacon. We will see how it goes. I got My Beautiful Wife some Alaskan King Crab Legs (4 pounds worth) for the game tomorrow, too. I will see of I can cook an extra couple days with the same lump. This is kind of fun.
    As of now, I am still solid in the Rockwood corner, but this is a really good product.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    VB_egger said:
    I've never had any problems or concerns with KJ, Rockwood, or Royal Oak.
    The only one I have bought on multiple occasions and not been happy with a single bag, for different reasons each time is BGE by Royal Oak. I have had 12 bags, and each time they were 50 percent unusable, nasty taste of the cook, took forever to get to good smoke, etc,. I just quit buying and started looking elsewhere for lump.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    I'll have to look for some. I get rockwood easy as can be locally but I'm down to save some money!
    Rockwood has the one thing I really like, consistency. It is also a solid product. I have not had the goofy stuff I typically get elsewhere. If KJ can do that, in the red bag, I might get that because, here in Louisville, we have nobody selling Rockwood. If I want Rockwood, it is either on line, or pick it up while I am on the road. Not a fan of either.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    @YukonRon -  I presume by Rockwood consistency you mean the burn performance as I have run the spectrum with regard to bag piece size.  It all burns just fine but I prefer a few pieces larger than a silver dollar diameter in each bag and with some they are not there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blasting said:
    looking good Ron.

Never tried the KJ.  I'm almost through a bag of Primo.  I like it a lot - seems very similar to RW.k
    Thanks brother. Let me know about the Primo. That is certainly high praise.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon -  I presume by Rockwood consistency you mean the burn performance as I have run the spectrum with regard to bag piece size.  It all burns just fine but I prefer a few pieces larger than a silver dollar diameter in each bag and with some they are not there.
    You know, that is a very good point. Lately I have been getting mostly medium, very few large pieces, at all, certainly nothing on the scale of what I have seen in this Red Bag from KJ. However, the burn rate, as you had mentioned previously with Rockwood, is extremely consistent, from cook to cook, and there is no acrid smoke taste, as Rockwood has not had with any bag I have ever used, it has been as close to neutral in smoke profile, better than anything I have tried thus far, excluding KJ. KJ seems to be very close, but one thing I did notice, KJ popped and cracked frequently as well as loudly, at temps above 375F. I do not recall the same issue with Rockwood. Don't know if I would like grilling direct with that going on, may cause me to spill a Southern Rhone, Red Blend, and that would certainly be followed with a very tersly worded email to KJ. =)
    Overall, thus far, for non center cut lump, at less than $15.00 per 20 pound bag, not a bad deal.
    The Salmon tonight was very good, I used it because it is a smoke sponge, and I wanted to see how KJ would do. I was impressed.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I snagged 4 bags at Costco. I'm currently on bag 3 and my only complaint is the amount of time it takes to stabilize. It's really stinky too while coming to temp and clearing for cooking. Otherwise, good size chunks.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Thanks @YukonRon.  You should send your review to Naked Whiz for his data base.  I'm on it (KJ)  this coming week at the east end store.  As an aside, hope their packer inventory has been self-upgraded since the last trip-passed on the lot.  Inventory here is still fine as I have a high low-level alarm set-point but always looking to avoid the trip-wire.
    Have a great remainder of the weekend and enjoy the game day commercials-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Just checking as I think the Buffalo has surfaced and is now applying that sinking feeling.
    Edit:  Buffalo is back on scene.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I snagged 4 bags at Costco. I'm currently on bag 3 and my only complaint is the amount of time it takes to stabilize. It's really stinky too while coming to temp and clearing for cooking. Otherwise, good size chunks.
    I am in just my first bag of KJ, and I had no issues with a bad smell, or trouble stabilizing temp. I ran 370F without the cap vent and the lower vent about an 1/4" on the XL. I will be doing a lot of different cooks tomorrow, and will give it further evaluation. Still a lot to define for me. As mentioned previously, still solid with Rockwood. 
    Thank you for your insight. Appreciate it very much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @YukonRon.  You should send your review to Naked Whiz for his data base.  I'm on it (KJ)  this coming week at the east end store.  As an aside, hope their packer inventory has been self-upgraded since the last trip-passed on the lot.  Inventory here is still fine as I have a high low-level alarm set-point but always looking to avoid the trip-wire.
    Have a great remainder of the weekend and enjoy the game day commercials-
    There were only 4 prime packers at Btown Costco today when I got there early this morning. I have more than they do in my freezer right now. Let me know if you hit bingo, and I will get you one of mine to hold you over.
    Can't be without the most fun and delicious cook on the BGE.
    Enjoy the game, and LEO is obtainable.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @YukonRon -  thanks for the offer but I'm a brisket whoremaster.  3 SRF's (black grade) and one Costco prime in the freezer with a SRF thawing for next weekend.  The Costco primes are my "go-to" so hoping to snag a couple this coming week.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    This was my experience too, but took a long time. My wife and niece noticed the smell before I said anything when they stepped on the deck. 

Not sure if it's different or not, but the bags I have look different than the bag Ron posted. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The red bag KJ lump is excellent.  Matt has a hypersensitive nose.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon -  thanks for the offer but I'm a brisket whoremaster.  3 SRF's (black grade) and one Costco prime in the freezer with a SRF thawing for next weekend.  The Costco primes are my "go-to" so hoping to snag a couple this coming week.  
    My apologies for the momentary hijack, but how are the points on the prime packers at your Costco? The few that I have bought in the past had very small points. Consistently. So i stopped buying them at Costco. My local HEB (TX grocery chain) sells prime packers and the points have always been bigger compared to Costco. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    lousubcap said:
    My apologies for the momentary hijack, but how are the points on the prime packers at your Costco? The few that I have bought in the past had very small points. Consistently. So i stopped buying them at Costco. My local HEB (TX grocery chain) sells prime packers and the points have always been bigger compared to Costco. 
    Well, first, we do not have a HEB, so I can't compare. All I have is a Restaurant Supply, which in my opinion, is not as good as Costco for Prime Brisket.
    I half jokingly stated earlier, that I had more in my freezer than they had on display at Costco, and it is true. The reason for that, is each time I visit, I look for that packer that has a pretty healthy sized point, like I learned from @lousubcap
    When I find them, I buy them. It is not to say Costco only has them occasionally, it is just my selection process has yielded quality purchases.
    I would be better at a comparison for you if we had a HEB, but perhaps 'Cap can give his opinion too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    This was my experience too, but took a long time. My wife and niece noticed the smell before I said anything when they stepped on the deck. 

Not sure if it's different or not, but the bags I have look different than the bag Ron posted. 
    Find this bag if you can, Matt, I think you will enjoy it. So far it has been very good. There was no smoke flavor, other than the very light sugar maple which I added for the cook, on salmon, a real smoke sponge. Today's cook might be different, because I will be doing several different style cooks, low and slow, raised indirect, direct yesterday was just a standard short indirect.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I have to agree with your statement, Brent, KJ lump, in the red bag, has been excellent, thus far. It is as smoke neutral as it gets in my experience with various brands. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    These are the bags I have. @johnmitchell did you get some of this when I text you about it? 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Okay, great. So you want one of these bags of awesome lump to repay my debt? I would gladly give you one bag of this lump than Rockwood. :glasses:
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @caliking -  as mentioned by @YukonRon, no comparison data.  However, given HEB's reputation here and the fact that you are in Texas I am not surprised that HEB briskets stand-out as a cut above.  
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    Even though Matt and Ron's bags look different, it's the exact same charcoal from the exact same source in Argentina. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I am thinking from the exact same source, is highly possible if not fact, but given @tarheelmatt and @Eggcelsior experiences with it, I am doubtful of the exactness of lump. I very much trust their opinions, and I respect @alynd with his insight, but the bag I used yesterday is vastly different than what has been mentiond as the experienced and perhaps, the expected performance as well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Costco has the KJ road show in town. Bad news for the XL BGE owners; their XL rotisserie will not fit the XL BGE. 
    On a side note, their lump is selling at about $15.00/bag, with two bags wrapped together.
    I opened a bag and was impressed.

Did they have a big jotisserie available for sale?
    Gittin' there...
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    @tarheelmatt I remember you giving me a heads up about it at COSTCO but I got sidetracked and never did get there... I will look out for it next time they come to town as it was a great price.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Costco has the KJ road show in town. Bad news for the XL BGE owners; their XL rotisserie will not fit the XL BGE. 
    On a side note, their lump is selling at about $15.00/bag, with two bags wrapped together.
    I opened a bag and was impressed.

Did they have a big jotisserie available for sale?
    Not at the roadshow.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky