Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RTIC v YETI law suit settlement

Options

Comments

• Beachbum28
    Options
    65 are gone in all colors form RTIC and Amazon 
  • Golfguy77
    Options
    My 65 was delivered yesterday.  Glad I bought it when I did!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited February 2017
    Options
    A little morning haiku. 

Cooler war over 
    Copycat took beat down - yuge
    Scottie needs new song 
  • Beachbum28
    Options
    Wish I ordered the 65 I was waiting for my card to close out so I would not have to pay for it right away, I guess I'm going with Ozark made in USA! 
  • Beachbum28
    Options
    I meant ORCA lol 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, "We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."

what intellectual property. They didn't invent this type of cooler.  Maybe you guys will disagree with me but they are nothing more than a marketing company.  The coolers were created and used in the medical industry long before yeti started to sell them.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    ryantt said:
    YETI CEO Matt Reintjes stated, "We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved. We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."

what intellectual property. They didn't invent this type of cooler.  Maybe you guys will disagree with me but they are nothing more than a marketing company.  The coolers were created and used in the medical industry long before yeti started to sell them.  
    I'm not sure of your occupation/legal background  but a judge thinks otherwise. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Well that explains the fire sale prices and the change in the warranty.

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    ryantt said:

You mean yeti didn't invent the rectangular plastic box with insulation to keep things cold? I am sorry but sueing over a cooler just seems stupid to me. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    ryantt said:

You mean yeti didn't invent the rectangular plastic box with insulation to keep things cold? I am sorry but sueing over a cooler just seems stupid to me. 
    I heard the Yeti IPO/sale would be over a billion dollars. Don't be naive enough to think it's just a cooler... 

I'm no expect in cooler manufacturing but there could be patents/intellectual property surrounding the chemical/physical properties of the insulation and/or rotomolding process. 

One thing is certain. The person who saw all the facts in the case ruled overwhelmingly in Yeti's favor. That's got to tell you something. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    ryantt said:

Intellectual property can be, and not limited to, manufacturing processes, packaging, product identification, etc., which can and have been patented. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    I wonder how much longer they will be able to make the 45 and the 20?  It's kind of interesting that only the 65 has been pulled.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Edit: Yeti's valuation is $5B for the IPO. It might increase after this lawsuit settlement. 
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    Options

At the risk of upsetting all the yeti heads out there but didn't pelican use these for years to transport organs?

Apollo Beach, FL
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Wardster said:

At the risk of upsetting all the yeti heads out there but didn't pelican use these for years to transport organs?

You are correct.  Maybe they should sue yeti 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bigbadben
    Options
    Maybe that is fake news to bump up the company's value??

;)
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    ryantt said:

Intellectual property can be, and not limited to, manufacturing processes, packaging, product identification, etc., which can and have been patented. 
    True, but does Yeti have any of the patents?  Other than the latch, what patents does Yeti actually have?  RTIC clearly cloned the look of a YETI. I wonder if the basis of the lawsuit was actually dealing with copyright.  Patents need to be filed to get protection, copyright does not.  I think copying of a look/design falls more under copyright law (or so I am lead to believe by my artist in the family who is concerned about others stealing intellectual ideas).
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    No word yet on confiscation and destruction of infringing RTIC product fraudulently sold to unsuspecting consumers?  

Send lawyers guns and money, the sh*t has hit the fan!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I wonder how much longer they will be able to make the 45 and the 20?  It's kind of interesting that only the 65 has been pulled.  

I was just on the website - looks like everything is still available.
    Phoenix 
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I would hope rtic can come up with an alternate design, you know, just different enough so that it doesnt infringe on yeti design....

Or file an appeal.  Take it all the way to SCOTUS

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Wish I ordered the 65 I was waiting for my card to close out so I would not have to pay for it right away, I guess I'm going with Ozark made in USA! 
    I have the Ozark Tumbler. Works great and it keeps my drinks cold for 24 hour or more with ice still in the tumbler the next day.

Have never and will never pay the prices that Yeti asks for their stuff.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Copying the look of a product? You mean like theseits Friday and I am just stirring the pot. Don't take me to serious!!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

I have the Ozark Tumbler. Works great and it keeps my drinks cold for 24 hour or more with ice still in the tumbler the next day.

Yeti also filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart last year for the same thing against Ozark Cups. Only thing is Wal-Mart definitely has better lawyers than RTIC I'm sure.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

Yeti also filed a lawsuit against Wal-Mart last year for the same thing against Ozark Cups. Only thing is Wal-Mart definitely has better lawyers than RTIC I'm sure.

If I was CEO of Pelican I think I would go after Yeti.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    In the long run, could be totally worth it to RTIC, they infringed something, but they've created a name based on a copycat and now they can change to a different design and they leapfrogged all of the other also-rans and created demand for a cheaper than yeti alternative.  It's all publicity for them.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    In the words of my daughter. Ouchie. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So it seems they settled the issues. And will be back with new products.

From the Houston Chronicle web page:

RTIC has agreed to redesign its drinkware and other items in a settlement of lawsuits by Yeti alleging various forms of infringement and unfair competition.

Texas cooler rivals Yeti and RTIC announced Thursday evening that they've reached a settlement on their litigation, and RTIC will have to redesign its hard-side coolers, soft-side coolers and drinkware.

Cypress-based RTIC burst onto the cooler scene in 2015 with slogans like "half the price of a Yeti cooler and holds more ice." Yeti's response was to file several lawsuits.

The allegations included patent infringement, trade dress infringement, trademark infringement and unfair competition.

RTIC co-founder John Jacobsen said his company entered the settlement to avoid the additional cost and uncertainty of litigation. Separate from the agreement, he said, RTIC had previously announced changes to its product lines and expects to roll out new products and update existing products in the spring.

MORE: Cypress-based Rtic jumps into Texas cooler competition

"This dispute has been amicably resolved," Jacobsen said in a text message. "And as part of the agreement, RTIC has agreed to redesign its products."

In a news release, Yeti said that RTIC and its co-founders will have to make a financial payment and cease sales of the products subject to its lawsuits.

"We are extremely pleased with the results we have achieved," Yeti CEO Matt Reintjes said in a news release. "We will continue to defend our innovation and intellectual property. This is a true win."

RTIC, however, said in a Facebook post that it will continue to operate as normal "selling all the RTIC brand of products as provided on the www.RTICcoolers.com website."
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

If I was CEO of Pelican I think I would go after Yeti.
    How?  Does Pelican have any patents that Yeti has infringed on? Doubtful.  Does a Yeti cooler look like a Pelican cooler? Not enough to be considered a clone.  Insulated rectangular boxes with hinged lids and carrying handles with drain plugs have been around a looong time.  Long before any of these companies existed. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Was on Amazon for a 45, said 3 left.  Went to order, bam, none.  

Went to RTIC site and said they had stock, may get an email after the fact stating otherwise.  Sorry, I'm not paying stupid money for one of these.  $122 is enough.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site