Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Question Concerning Setup

Options
I'm planning to do pizza on the LBGE this weekend. I have the basics down as far as ingredients as my wife has made homemade pizza in the oven for years now.

My questions are about the egg setup. How do setup for pizza? Do you use the plate setter in addition to using a pizza stone or do you go direct with the stone over the coals?

I'm considering using a 13" stone sitting on a spider  then putting my 15" stone on top of the AR to cook the pizza up in the Dome.

I would love to see picks of your setup.
Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
MiniMax 04/17
Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It's an indirect cook with a heat deflector and a stone raised into the dome.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198226/steak-and-potatoes-pizza/p1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • volminimax
    Options
    I use my woo, stone, grid and an additional pizza stone. 425 and cook just above the felt line. I am new to this too. But the two pizza's I made on Tuesday night where the best yet. Indirect works best for me.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This is how I used to do mine...

Done 'em in the oven for the past 3+ years though. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    If I can get my egg lid unfrozen I am planning pizzas this weekend also!!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Light a small fire through the bottom vent on the floor of your egg.  Then you're good to go.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It's an indirect cook with a heat deflector and a stone raised into the dome.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198226/steak-and-potatoes-pizza/p1
    Sounds like my original plan was spot on.

Never would have thought of hash browns on a pizza though. Sound like good breakfast material.
    MiniMax 04/17

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    As you can see from @Carolina Q above, he has the setter with legs down. I always use legs up, dome temp about 550º-600º with the stone about 2" above the felt line (have an old grill dome rack that does this very well). Make sure the stone is small enough there is at least 1" to 1-1/2" of space between the stone and the dome. You need the airflow. Let the egg come to temp and stabilize for at least 1/2 hour. The radiant dome heat and the convection is what will cook and melt your toppings. 
    Took a number of pies before I got what I liked, combination of temp, dough moisture and toppings to get consistent results.
    Parchment is your friend to get the pie on and off the stone, just make sure you trim the paper to be 1/2" less than the stone, avoids charring the hangover....Good Luck. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Your plan will work - likely very well.

The challenge with pizza is finding the sweet spot for the pies you make and the setup you use.

Some really thin pizzas get cooked at 900+ degrees for 90 seconds.

Chicago deep dish gets cooked at around 300-350 or so for 30+ minutes. 

I've found that on my XL BGE with a platesetter and a pizza stone, using the storebought dough I use and the thickness of how I like my toppings, I can cook at 450-500 for 8-10 minutes and get a really good result.  But it took several pizza nights cooking at different temperatures to sort this out. 

So, have fun and enjoy the journey.  And prep your wife with "on this first try, this may not be a good as what we are used to when we cook in the oven - but I've been assured that eventually we'll figure out exactly how we want to cook pizzas on the egg - and we'll have fun doing it."

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    I did pizza this weekend. Raised indirect way up in the dome. The first pie was spot on. Dome temp 600. The egg got away from me on the second pie and pegged the thermometer out....needless to say the crust burned before the cheese melted on the second pie. 
    Pratt, KS
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I cook pizzas with the plate setter legs up, then the pizza stone on top of the food grid. When the plate setter is in legs down the heat gets directed towards the gasket. Used to be a big problem in the old days with the felt gaskets, at least with some eggs. I am guessing ones that had a gap. Still do it that way just because. I have eaten pizza that was done with the setter legs down and stone on the setter. I think the extra ceramic mass, and more importantly, the direct heat, gets the stone hotter and the crust seemed a little crispier.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Store a sheet of aluminum foil in between the dome and base in cold temps to prevent this. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I didn't read all the previous post but in my experience (which is limited) the higher in the dome you can go the better.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Store a sheet of aluminum foil in between the dome and base in cold temps to prevent this. 
    Thanks will do. Usually I roll the table back in the garage. But I was sick for a week and it got snowed on and been in the teens. I'll magyver the sob  open tomorrow. Made 2 batches of dough today that will be ready then:) .
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I didn't read all the previous post but in my experience (which is limited) the higher in the dome you can go the better.
    To a certain point.  Its all a balance of getting enough heat from above to heat/cook the toppings in the same time it takes to get enough heat from below to cook the dough.  It is possible to get the pizza too close to the dome - all depends on temp and timing relative to the type of pizza being cooked.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Always use indirect setup with pizza stone as high as possible in the dome.  On L and XL, its the spider, stone adj rig anf rig xtender on L with pizza stone on top.

On minimax, its conveggtor, or woo with small stone. Then the grid and pizza stone on top of that, i think...gotta double check as i havent made pizza for a few months...

Have fun with it though.  Pizza on bge is incredible
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You need to heat soak the pizza stone and indirect piece for a looong time.  If you don't, the first pizza turns out like the first pancake you cook and nobody wants that one.  I usually setup and stabilize temp a little below where I'm going to cook (like 400 if I'm going to cook 550) and let it all sit for an hour or so.  Then bumping the temp before cooking a pizza is easy and quick.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Great tip, will be using that.

@SaintJohnsEgger there are many permutations on the setup to do this, try a few things and see what works for you. That's one of the fun things about the Egg.

This is mine:

Feel free to check out the blog article I wrote about this. http://wp.me/p7qSlA-2vj

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Always use indirect setup with pizza stone as high as possible in the dome.  On L and XL, its the spider, stone adj rig anf rig xtender on L with pizza stone on top.

On minimax, its conveggtor, or woo with small stone. Then the grid and pizza stone on top of that, i think...gotta double check as i havent made pizza for a few months...

Have fun with it though.  Pizza on bge is incredible
    That's the setup I did a dry run with yesterday to see if it would fit. 

@Legume need to make sure the stones heat up well. Gotcha.

I will take lots of pictures when I do this

Thanks everyone for the information.
    MiniMax 04/17