Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to make hash browns on a Blackstone

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
At RD the other day I found a 10# box of shredded hash browns for $3 (expiring in a week). Figured I would give them a shot.

Tried cooking them by just throwing them on the Blackstone with a little oil and tossing them around, but they cooked very unevenly.

Any suggestions?

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Haven't tried that brand, but a par cook in the microwave or drying overnight helped my hash brown game with fresh grated and frozen as well. Gotta get em dryer to get browned. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Put them in clean kitchen towel and squeeze all the moisture out. 

Oil your pan, but in your instance the griddle. Lay them out thin mash them together and let sit. Once they set together flip and cook. I ususlly season and cover them to cook the other side up and have the great crust that hash browns just need to be good !

i have had the thought to use some corn starch and let them sit in fridge to dry up though. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Don't you know you'll die from eating hash browns? There was a post on it yesterday! 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Following. My black stone hashbrowns suck.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

This is my method.

Get the griddle nice and hot.  Once you put down the hash browns, use your squirt bottle with oil to apply an even amount of oil.  Cover.  Once browned / crispy to your liking, flip, apply more oil, and then cook the rest of the way uncovered.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fresh potatoes - shred, squeeze out excess water, par cook in microwave for a few minutes, oil griddle, flatten and cook until brown, flip the whole thing without tearing it up, cook other side until crispy and brown.

Options
    I think the covering is what I'm missing. In the frying pan I do this, but not on the blackstone.  I'll have to figure out some sort of cover...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    They make covers for griddles. Or use a as bowl even.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ask @hapster and @CTMike They cooked the hell outta some at the Nola's Brisket Camp last year!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I think the covering is what I'm missing. In the frying pan I do this, but not on the blackstone.  I'll have to figure out some sort of cover...
    Big wok cover might do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/Winco-WKCS-14-Stainless-Steel-4-Inch/dp/B003HEV05U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485396755&sr=8-3&keywords=griddle+dome
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Jeremiah  I've got a couple melting domes that work ok.  Even better is a large pot lid.  If I'm cooking for the masses, a 14" kettle lid works great.

Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas fellas. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Steamer trays of various sizes. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    I use an old fry pan lid.  

You're a metal man, make something cool for a lid!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Half a '57 fin. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I don't have a Blackstone, but I really think the crucial thing is leaving them alone until they've browned, then flipping them over and, again, leaving them alone until they've browned.  Never flip them if they're not browned on the bottom.  You just keep growing and flipping, browning again and flipping, until there's enough browned stuff scattered through the potatoes to your taste.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    There was a diner nearby that made the best hashbrowns, they were loose, not formed into a cake, but deliciously browned and wonderful.  I've never been able to replicate, and they're out of business now.  
    Will be watching this thread; thanks.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I don't have a Blackstone, but I really think the crucial thing is leaving them alone until they've browned, then flipping them over and, again, leaving them alone until they've browned.  Never flip them if they're not browned on the bottom.  You just keep growing and flipping, browning again and flipping, until there's enough browned stuff scattered through the potatoes to your taste.
    A griddle is a very large skillet.  No difference other than size.
    Options

All this hashbrown talk was making me hungry - thought a visual was in order.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Theophan said:
    A griddle is a very large skillet.  No difference other than size.
    No it is not.  They are different.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2017
    Options
    skillet is a North American term for a frying pan (UK: frypan). It's usually round in shape and made in a variety of metals (usually iron, steel, aluminium or copper). Often in the North American context, it's usually made of cast or wrought iron (see pic below).

A campfire skillet

griddle is a heavy cast-iron or wrought-iron plate (usually square in shape) that's heated in a variety of ways for cooking food. A griddle historically used to be a miner's sieve with a wire bottom, and sometimes this is still the meaning for some people.

A cast-iron black square griddle pan

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Boy I stand corrected. 
    I haven't tried covering them, maybe that's what's been missing in mine.  I'd say that mine are pretty good, just not perfect.  They are a lot better if I've just cooked some bacon and cook them in the bacon grease. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Boy I stand corrected. 
    You should not stand, but bow to your intellectual superiors.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Boy I stand corrected. 
    I really thought they were functionally synonymous.  I was totally wrong.  You are super intillektuallie superior!

Tools of the Trade 11
    griddle

Image result for rectangular frying pan

frying pan
    Options
    Sinonimous implies funktunally similiar.  Don't knead both wurds.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Boy I stand corrected. 
    I really thought they were functionally synonymous.  I was totally wrong.  You are super intillektuallie superior!

Tools of the Trade 11
    griddle

frying pan
    The bottom pan is not a frying pan, it is a tamagoyaki pan.

I guess you could fry in it tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Boy I stand corrected. 

Tools of the Trade 11
    griddle

frying pan
    The bottom pan is not a frying pan, it is a tamagoyaki pan.

I guess you could fry in it tho.
    Next thing you know, he will be calling a pot and kettle the same thing.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    pots and kettles are both black
    Options
    pots and kettles are both black

did you just assume their ethnicity?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA