Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any thoughts on a food truck?

Options
dopey
dopey Posts: 201
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
I have 2 little maggots that are 6&7 who cook with me every day (girls).  I've got some excellent sandwiches down with home made bread / pickles / smoked meats... etc.  I'm thinking about the teenage years when they can do some prep work on Sunday, work lunch during the week, and have the weekend to actually be with their friends instead of working a retail job.

Yeah, It's 10 years away, but not too early to come up with a business plan.  Does anyone have experience with this that can give some pitfalls to look out for?  It might never amount to anything, but I see what my wife's degree got her ( she doesn't work ) and I want to give them the option to be self sufficient without spending 400K of my money.
What I do when I'm black out drunk is none of my business...

John Central CT

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The investment/work/return/regulations ratio is not that favorable.  That's why there aren't that many food trucks.  That said, your kids would be perfect - teach them something about business.  It's tough work unless you're just dishing out mundane food.  

Do it.
    Options
    I figure if it's something that'll teach them, and I can live vicariously through them it could be a great learning experience for all of us.  I don't mind investing in their future, even if it's just a learning curve for some other venture they might be interested in.

John Central CT
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Someone on here tried that two or three years ago. Not sure what the final outcome was.  I think his screen name was "badinfluence" but am not sure of that. Someone here will remember for sure. Once we have the name maybe you can PM them and get in touch them and pick their brain.  A search would probably turn up a result, but I am on a phone and already a little late for work.

Best of luck!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited January 2017
    Options

Maggots(?) running a food truck is sure to fail.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Someone on here tried that two or three years ago. Not sure what the final outcome was.  I think his screen name was "badinfluence" but am not sure of that. Someone here will remember for sure. Once we have the name maybe you can PM them and get in touch them and pick their brain.  A search would probably turn up a result, but I am on a phone and already a little late for work.

Best of luck!! 
    Larry (bad influence) passed away this last summer. Told me they enjoyed the experience, but as stated prior, it was A LOT of work. 

Good luck. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Larry (bad influence) passed away this last summer. Told me they enjoyed the experience, but as stated prior, it was A LOT of work. 

Good luck. 
    Oh wow, not that I knew him, but I admire anyone that takes a risk like that and follows their dream.  
    He did that, so good for him. 

@dopey  if that is what you want to do, go for it. You get one life here, so do what you want with yours.  If you do your due diligence and make the best informed decision, not matter what happens, it is/was the right decision at the time. Hindsight is 20/20. What fun would life be if life was always hindsight?

Live your dreams and follow your heart, and you will not find yourself saying "I wish I...... but didn't" at the end.
    Well, that is the way I am living mine at least. To each their own.
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    do they have the fancy homemade food type trucks in ct, up here its all cafeteria generic type trucks and assume all the food comes from the same sources. the only exception is freds franks in wakefield ma with the eggs on his.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @dopey where are you located? (I'm on my phone...not sure if it's on your tag line)

in the food business it's location location location.  Having wheels under it doesn't change that too much. I have family members in Oregon that have a few and are doing very well. My sister and I have contemplated doing one here in Nashville due to their popularity, low overhead, current demand, and our ability to buy in to a currently thriving business model.

Restaurant business isn't easy though.  My family and I have done it for years since I was just a kid. It doesn't always bring everyone closer together. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A few years back we carefully considered this. Son is 22 and me a few years older. I'm in the HVAC/R industry and can also repair hot side equipment. Son almost has his BA and has been a cook for over 3 years. 
    That said our area is saturated with roach coaches. They range from BBQ, Sammy style, ice cream & specialty galore. Key turn startup ranged from 45K-180K depending on how elaborate and equipment quality. Permits are required for each county, event and some areas require the rolling restaurant to be in a Corral of other food trucks on particular days at particular times.  Lots of gubmit regs and socialite areas tend to be even heavier on regulation. If you're going to do it you need to do a serious Market study if you want to be successful. Good luck.

https://youtu.be/oytywCDU9S4
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dopey
    Options
    I'm in CT and there are a few decent ones around a couple colleges and Hartford and New Haven, but beside major cities, there's not much.  I work outside, and I'd love to have a good lunch spot without having to find parking.  There's hot dog carts all over the place, but very generic all for profit ones, the kind you never go back to if you remember.

As far as the hard work goes, that's the part that makes me excited.  I was given an opportunity by my dad with the expectation that I wouldn't fvck it up.  15 years later, he works for me.  I want my girls to have the same sense of responsibility with said given opportunity.

John Central CT
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Here is a thought: start small maybe, like a large cart or so? I agree with a lot of the comments above about research in the area, etc. In the Cincy area Food Trucks were real popular for a while, but they pretty much reached their nadir-and many have gotten out of the business. The ones still going are limited for the most part to the downtown area for lunch and at our Craft Breweries-there is a real need for that as these guys do not serve food.

Just my thoughts-as stated above it depends on the demographics and needs of your area.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • dopey
    Options
    do they have the fancy homemade food type trucks in ct, up here its all cafeteria generic type trucks and assume all the food comes from the same sources. the only exception is freds franks in wakefield ma with the eggs on his.
    It's mostly the same garbage that rolls around construction sites.  Finding a good one is tough anywhere but the shore and cities.

John Central CT
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,191
    Options
    dopey said:
    It's mostly the same garbage that rolls around construction sites.  
    The good ol' Roach Coach. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Have you watched this? 

Chef https://g.co/kgs/dOIVNd 

It will want to get you motivated for a food truck. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Have you watched this? 

That movie will also get you motivated to buy a panini press!  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Have you watched this? 

Yes it will. Realistic expectations?  They travel City to City and serve food in every single area they stop with not one permit drawn. I guess I shouldn't expect anything less from Hollywood though. Don't get it twisted the movie is good. And I've watched it countless times.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Extremely long hours, lot of work...and you are working while others aren't. If you have a family, and you value your time with them, I don't think it is a good career choice. I get your thinking that you could spend some time with them in the business....but be prepared to miss out on a lot of their sporting events, plays, or other school activities. I have worked in the food industry for many years. If you don't have a serious passion for this....your chances of financial success are minimal. I don't mean to be a downer...but hopefully a realist. 

If it is for you....I wish you all the best. Go for Greatness. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • @dopey I was looking on Craigslist the other day for a griddle and this popped up.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/tro/5967053289.html

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dopey said:
    It's mostly the same garbage that rolls around construction sites.  Finding a good one is tough anywhere but the shore and cities.
    the crowds move up here, winter everyone stays in the cities, summer the beach bars are packed and the local bars are empty.  you would need two locations and change the food by the seasons probably. freds franks is a captured audience on a lake, lots of walkers, town has a parking area behind it. lots of problems from the town and neighbors complaining, but the location is pretty good, rain and snow wipes the business out, closed til early spring now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Best of luck!! 

Good luck. 
    I didn't know that. RIP Larry

Seriously???
    That's the first time hearing about this. 
    RIP Larry @badinfluence
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/lawrence-grant-obituary?pid=1000000181877235

I'm sorry, it was October when he passed. Here is the local obituary.

He loved his Meat Monster!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/lawrence-grant-obituary?pid=1000000181877235

I'm sorry, it was October when he passed. Here is the local obituary.

He loved his Meat Monster!
    Damn, he was young.  RIP.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • EggPerfection
    Options
    Here in the extended city of Atlanta there's a truck called Happy Belly that makes great stuff and noticeably cooks with a BGE inside.  It's been going for years so it must be working profitably. 
    Best - Jack
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I had no idea about Larry @badinfluence.  Thanks for sharing @pgprescott.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Didn't know that about @badinfluence, either. He hooked me up in the rub/sauce exchange last summer. RIP. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I didn't know either. Very sad. Looks like he had young kids too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I had him in the rub exchange once.  Sent me some good stuff
    Options
    The problem with food trucks (and craft beer) is that we may be at or near the peak of those bubbles.

Ten years from now I wouldn't be surprised if numbers for both are much smaller.

Or...maybe much higher. The future can be mysterious.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk