Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone tried injecting Boston Butt

Options
Doing pulled pork Saturday for Party on Sunday, wondering if injecting would make a more moist pulled pork since not eating until Sunday. Plan on pulling and put into Ziploc bags and reheating in crock pot on Sunday with a little Carolina vinegar sauce I am making. Any input greatly appreciated especially about injecting since I never have before. Only done 1 pulled pork so far which was awesome, however ate the same day it was smoked.
Boynton Beach, Fl

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I inject sometimes and not other times. I think it helps a little. 

Just get get some apple juice and inject away. Not specific amount. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    have not found it gets any more moist. i do sometimes inject with a vinegar sauce though for flavor, inject it during the cook when its over 160 internal, i inject it IN the egg. add some real coke to the crock with the pull along with the vinegar sauce.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    have not found it gets any more moist. i do sometimes inject with a vinegar sauce though for flavor, inject it during the cook when its over 160 internal, i inject it IN the egg. add some real coke to the crock with the pull along with the vinegar sauce.
    Agreed. In my experience, the difference has not been discernible. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never injected anything. Don't even have an injector. =) 

@Grilltastic, if you have a vacuum sealer, seal the meat up as soon as you pull it, then refrigerate. At the party, leave the bags sealed and place them into a pot (or pots) of water at about 160°F for 30 minutes or so. Open the bag(s) and serve. Best way I've found for pulled pork. I still don't think it's as good as when it first comes off the cooker, but it's the best I've been able to do.

If you don't have a vac sealer, zip bags (freezer bags are preferable) will work if you get as much air out of the bag as possible. Air will insulate and reduce the effectiveness or the warmed water. Also, be careful not to let water get into the bag. Lastly, don't boil the water! Zip bags can melt! Don't ask how I know this. 160ish is fine. Enjoy!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    edited January 2017
    Options

@Grilltastic, if you have a vacuum sealer, seal the meat up as soon as you pull it, then refrigerate. At the party, leave the bags sealed and place them into a pot (or pots) of water at about 160°F for 30 minutes or so. Open the bag(s) and serve. Best way I've found for pulled pork. I still don't think it's as good as when it first comes off the cooker, but it's the best I've been able to do.

If you don't have a vac sealer, zip bags (freezer bags are preferable) will work if you get as much air out of the bag as possible. Air will insulate and reduce the effectiveness or the warmed water. Also, be careful not to let water get into the bag. Lastly, don't boil the water! Zip bags can melt! Don't ask how I know this. 160ish is fine. Enjoy!
    youre missing out on bbq pulled turkey sandwiches without an injector ;)

fukahwee maine

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options

youre missing out on bbq pulled chicken sandwiches without an injector ;)

Dude that looks incredible 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    8 out of 10 times I inject butts with the following

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup table salt
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh, dat chick look nice!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    8 out of 10 times I inject butts with the following

Chris Lilly's Six-Time World Championship Pork Shoulder Injection
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup table salt
    2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
    Combine all ingredients and stir until sugar and salt are dissolved.
    Awesome recipe indeed.  Word of caution though - this recipe is for 16 pounds / 2 butts.  Adding that much salt into one butt does not turn out good.  I made that mistake several months ago...

Now I usually just stick with injecting apple juice.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @fishlessman what temp do you have to take the turkey to in order to pull it?  That looks great!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    I just injected my first pork butt over the weekend. I used Chris Lilly recipe posted above. Not sure if it was the rub and the cook but it was the best butt I done.  Used Texas grand champion for the rub. Also I spritzed with some of the injection. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I must be doing it wrong....i don't inject wrap or spritz.   =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I've done it but I don't notice much difference. I seem to get better results when spritzing with apple juice mixed with apple cider or water.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It makes a difference for a turbo butt, big time.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I havent done turbo, but in low n slows I don't notice a difference between times I do Inject and times I don't. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options

This!

I pull and out any left overs hot into vac bags. Seal. Allow to cool and into freezer. 

When needed- boil pot of water. Then remove. Toss
    in frozen it half thawed bag of pork. It'll heat thru nicely. Remove and toss. It's ready to go and very juicy. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Budaman5000
    Options
    Tried two butts one with and the other without injection for a event... Injection went 2x faster than without... I inject butter and some kind of seasoning that has been like at a simmer state to mix it and the slightly cool then inject the greatness... I would highly recommend it ...
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    To add- injection is not worth the trouble and mess to me. 

If your pork is dry- work on cooking it better or buy better cuts. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Just don't try the angry orchard. Nope. Doesn't work. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @Fishlessman is that the turkey from a couple years back you cooked then injected and cooked again? Always meant to try that ....

If you are going to pull it and dress it, I can't come up with a reason to inject. If you are going to let people pull it for themselves like a pig pickin then inject it for flavor. Take Fish's picture for example. The aha moment in that meal is plucking the meat right from the bone when it would appear to need carving. 

• Hans61
    Options
    @Carolina Q I was talking about injecting, the comment above mine by @JohnInCarolina stated that injecting helps on turbos, so I wanted to distinguish my input from that comment. Don't see how that's off topic for this thread...
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    @Carolina Q I was talking about injecting, the comment above mine by @JohnInCarolina stated that injecting helps on turbos, so I wanted to distinguish my input from that comment. Don't see how that's off topic for this thread...
    sorry. fat fingers. fixed.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Options
    @Carolina Q no worries :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    If you want a much deeper apple flavor, contact Woods Cider Mill in VT and order some of their Boiled Cider.  It has the color of dark vanilla and very nice and deep apple flavor and mixed in with your injection in place of apple cider would give it a real nice flavor.  You can also get it from King Arthur Flour. 

The family that makes it has been doing it for generations (200+yrs).  In the spring, they make maple syrup and using the same equipment in the fall they make the boiled cider.  It is a GREAT addition when making apple pie or any apple dish. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I've done injected and not. I've done low and slow and turbo. Every way comes out great. I love doing turbo now and it's done so quick it doesn't need any injection. 

The suggestion to bag it and reheat in water (or Sous vide) is the way I would do it. Less moisture loss. Add any liquid you want when you bag it. Works when frozen too. I use half apple juice, half apple cider vinegar. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    I inject every pork shoulder I cook.

I use a large Tervis Tumbler cup and fill it 1/2 full with apple juice, 1/4 white vinegar, and 1/4 with Honey and ~ 3 or 4 teaspoons of Kosher salt..

Mix that well and inject. I try to let it sit for 24 hours, when I have the time.

IMO...

as the Donald or POTUS says...

"It makes a YOUGE difference in the product."

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    @fishlessman what temp do you have to take the turkey to in order to pull it?  That looks great!

it was cooked low and slow, it was probably upper 180's when done, heres the link
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142418/low-and-slow-turkey

fukahwee maine