Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen Steaks Redux

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited December 2016 in EggHead Forum
Trying to cook steaks from frozen again. First attempt documented here.

Cooking a 34 oz. Flannery dry-aged porterhouse and a 10 oz. Flannery dry aged rib cap medallion.

Hopefully this turns out better than the first time.

They are on the large BGE on the CI grid on the CI woo with the PS in it and a drip tray at 300.

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Wow, you are much braver than me. I would not even try it with such nice cuts of meat. I would wait a day then do a nice reverse sear, even if I had to eat sardines and crackers tonight.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Why from frozen again on that purdy beef.  Necessity or experimentation?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HofstraJet
    Options
    Necessity. I forgot to defrost. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I'm not risking it.  Got two SRF New York Strips thawing out in the fridge.  They'll get cooked when they're ready.
    Hope yours turn out well.  Cheers!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I really think they should turn out fine.  Just treat it like a reverse sear and the only factor should be extra time to reach your target temp.  I mentioned this in the other thread but cooks illustrated did some tests and preferred the steaks cooked from frozen. 

I would personally cook at a lower temp just because it will give you a more edge to edge medium rare.  I would drop down to 250-275 if you don't mind waiting a little longer until dinner. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Get an SV unit man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HofstraJet
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Get an SV unit man.
    That would require me to remember even earlier! LOL

PS - I have an Anova - yet to use it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Get an SV unit man.

I think you ought to be able to do a frozen steak in 2 hrs via SV, maybe less. Sure you have to wait longer, but it'll be worth it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Get an SV unit man.

I think you ought to be able to do a frozen steak in 2 hrs via SV, maybe less. Sure you have to wait longer, but it'll be worth it.
    Less. Takes an hour at 130, maybe less. I just happened to check at 1 hour.
  • HofstraJet
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Steak came out great! Finished with a quick hot sear.

Took about 90 minutes start to finish (including rest and sear) at 300 (it was a thick 34 oz steak).

Worked in a pinch. Will try SV next time with a frozen steak and see what happens.

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    you can always do a hurry up thaw, not quite sous vide.  just toss them in a ziploc bag, suck out the air, and submerge in a couple changes of hot tapwater.  that will thaw them and raise their core temp so you can sear to your liking.  you don't *need* a sous vide machine for that.  if you want to really control things and dial in long term, then SV is always a further option.

i too would not cook dry aged from frozen, but glad it worked out.

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    you can always do a hurry up thaw, not quite sous vide.  just toss them in a ziploc bag, suck out the air, and submerge in a couple changes of hot tapwater.  that will thaw them and raise their core temp so you can sear to your liking.  you don't *need* a sous vide machine for that.  if you want to really control things and dial in long term, then SV is always a further option.

i too would not cook dry aged from frozen, but glad it worked out.

As you know, I'm doing a 45 day dry age  on NY Strip, how will be the best way to cook these?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    'Best'? No idea 

i would warm them up in ziplocs submerged in hot water. Pat dry, salt/pepper

Then sear to your liking to finish

or, salt, let sit out an hour or more. Then sear. They cook faster than fast. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Get an SV unit man.
    I agree, SV is the boss for defrosting meat.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Did a couple frozen steaks in the SV tonight. Stooopid simple. SV + small green egg is an awesome combo for steak. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You can always cook a frozen steak with the standard sear first and finish in lower temp indirect cook.  No need to defrost.  If you have a SV, then use it. But if not, direct from the freezer to a hot direct sear until crust is how you want it (it will take longer than if thawed). Remove and setup for indirect cook and reset the vents to a lower temp and replace the steak until interior is at the desired doneness.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Piney....I believe I could demo much better than splainin on da net. Feel free to make a run down to Columbia....I'll fire up the egg. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow