Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

#$%^ you BGE

Options
I have owned an XL for the past 15 or so months and a MM for the past year and a day.  I have enjoyed cooking LS and hot as can be.  My chicken, Pizza, Briskets, tenderloin, what ever I put in the egg is by far the best I have ever cooked. My older son comes home from college and consumes what ever comes off the grate.  My Super Bowl party last year was off the chart thanks to my new found love.  The neighbors pray for a snow day - cause they know - I will be cooking something. 

Christmas for me this year included 6 cook books, a WOK, 2 KABs (MM and XL), 2 bags of Rockwood (can't wait), 3 boxes of Center Cut, 2 Aprons, gloves and the best prime rib I have cooked ever.

The joy I have found and I can share with family and friends is beyond my dreams. BUT alone this all this joy has come one thing you can have back.  Over the past 15 or so months I have gained over 20 pounds (thats more than the biggest brisket I have ever cooked).  

I need help (my wife would say for many reasons).  I have to work on portion control but I need some good healthy meals to cook on TBGE.

Any help would be wonderful. Hope everyone has a blessed holiday filled with a little smoke...
Northern New Jersey
 XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

Comments

• chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Hahaha, join the club!
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @JMCXL Research Keto Diet, low carb and a bunch of protein.  An Eggers dream diet.  Eat until your full and eat when your hungry, minimal calorie restrictions.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Eat vegetables and less protein.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You ever heard of fish?  =)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Download the MyFitnessPal app, get a decent digital scale and eat all of the same stuff you have been eating, just have a "realistic" portion. I'm down 30 lbs over the year doing that. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    You ever heard of fish?  =)
    I have only done fish once, I need to do more FISH
    Northern New Jersey

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Follow me on Facebook 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    This egg I found in Norway was exclusively used for veggies. Just sayin' 

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    fat guys of the world unite!
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    Portion control and exercise. I lost over 60 pounds in the last 15 months with that. I'm also using my fitness pal. 
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Angela said:
    Portion control and exercise. I lost over 60 pounds in the last 15 months with that. I'm also using my fitness pal. 
    Congrats @Angela. That's awesome! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Only 20 Lbs? You must be doing something right.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I've lost weight since getting the egg, so apparently I was eating like **** beforehand!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    +1 for low carb high fat. I have lost over 120# since going LCHF in 2012 and it is a perfect lifestyle for the Egg.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    55Kevy said:
    +1 for low carb high fat. I have lost over 120# since going LCHF in 2012 and it is a perfect lifestyle for the Egg.
    120 lbs!?!?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    gmac said:
    Download the MyFitnessPal app, get a decent digital scale and eat all of the same stuff you have been eating, just have a "realistic" portion. I'm down 30 lbs over the year doing that. 
    Get a FitBit to monitor your activity. My Blaze even prompts me when I don't get my steps in each hour.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @55Kevy. Kudos!  I'm down 20 is 4 weeks.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Last week, after our office christmas luncheon, I sat down in my cubicle, coughed, and my 1" leather belt ripped from the buckle.

And that's the second belt in two months (the first ripped through at the other end, through the end hole).

I work out several times a week, eat healthy breakfasts and lunch, so the only thing left to change is the beer and pasta.  Gotta do it.  :bawling:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Carbs are the main issue along with salt intake. I kept the hell away from both and have lost close to 40# so far. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Fish!!!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Accept that 20 pounds as a trophy. How many skinny chefs do you see? The ones that are skinny can't be trusted! Keep on keeping on!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    gmac said:
    Portions are one of my biggest problems, everything tastes so good.
    Northern New Jersey

Follow me on Facebook 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I have heard Paleo is a LOT of protein and fresh veggies - little to no carbs, processed food (sugars), anything starchy = sugars = carbs, little to no dairy (ARGH!! There goes the cheeseburgers) etc... So, those caveman/tomahawks would work great :)
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd like to get my hands on the SOB who classified pasta, pizza crust, and bread as carbs - that guy is a real prick.

Phoenix 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Talk to Scottie about portion control!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    If you're already relatively active, try simply eating slower.  After rotator cuff surgery, I had to eat left handed.  Really awkward, and made me eat much more slowly.  Result is that you feel full w/ less food.

I read it takes your stomach 20 minutes to tell your brain it's full.

Also, at the first sign of feeling full/satisfied, stop eating.  Parents taught us to clean our plates.  It's a habit that lived on, and we hate to waste food.  But if your aware of it, you feel satisfied, (not hungry), long before you feel stuffed.  Quit eating as soon as you're not hungry, even if there's still food on your plate.

Of course all this from a guy w/ a 44" waist.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im doomed, i eat like a bird but drink like a fish =) low carb drinks are key for me and the atkins diet drops 30 every other year. low carb diets high in fat and protein just work, google the octoberfest diet, its a 6 pack and sausage three times a day and it works, atkins has more options but if you decide to go that way get the first book, the newer ones are marketing ploys

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    herbu said:
    I read it takes your stomach 20 minutes to tell your brain it's full.

This is VERY useful to know, but again (as someone above said) it all tastes so good!   :|

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    herbu said:
    Also, at the first sign of feeling full/satisfied, stop eating.  Parents taught us to clean our plates.  It's a habit that lived on, and we hate to waste food.  ...

Years ago, when I started consulting and travelling 5 days/wk, I had to get over that real fast - otherwise, I might be at +300lbs.  It was always a shame to see half of my plate with food on it as I let the server take it away. But there was no way I could eat that much - especially since I was eating out 12-15 meals/wk.

Luckily, I haven't had a travelling job in the last 14 yrs or so... and the last 7 have been great since that is when I acquired my XL BGE.