Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OH NO the Egg won't open

Options
 So for the first time in three winters the dog gone egg won't open it appears as though the seal is frozen I never had that before I always keep it covered.  How many other cold-weather eggheads have had this experience and any suggestions on how to thaw it out besides waiting until the temperature goes up?
BGE XL
Indianapolis

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    If you can  get the bottom vent open, put in some newspaper or light a wax fire starter and see if that will warm it up enough to open the egg.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Heat the inside from the bottom vent
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You can open the lower vent and put a small piece of lump in and light it. It will slowly heat leftover coals and release the frozen seal. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Either of the above will work.  Don't try to pry it open too hard - you'll take the gasket off.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Light it thru the lower vent. Use newspaper or a torch. Assuming you left lump in it from last time. 

I suggest this base on reading here, not personal experience. I live in CT and don't cover my egg. Hasn't frozen in 7 years. I think it's the Rutland, but don't know.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Just don't use a briquette or mesquite lump.
    Thanks, I am trying my electric lighter in the bottom vent. I guess the meat Loaf will go in the oven darn it
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • Boileregger
    Options
    I have had success wiggling a butter knife under the dome.  If you can do that in 2 or 3 places it should.unstick enough to open.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    its not too difficult. egg loaf is so much better. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • KeithEGG
    Options
    Success we will have meat loaf on the Egg she "cracked" open. No damage to the gasket either.
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the many challenges of the journey.  When you shut it down you can layer some aluminum foil around the gasket surface to preclude another episode.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KeithEGG
    Options
    Great Idea
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,173
    Options
    Roll your egg inside till it warms up.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    A couple of old golf tees in the seam will stop that. Or foil.  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It is officially winter....no waiting till the 21st. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,217
    edited December 2016
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Or a quarter 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Or a quarter 

Or wood skewers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,458
    edited December 2016
    Options
    All spacers work but if you want to kill the fire and don't want to perform that function once the BGE is shut-down then I default to the foil.  Your call.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.