Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fried Chicken Sammich with Hatch Chiles... Mini BGE

Options
2»

Comments

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Heck yeah! Eat more pickles. That looks fantastic. Of course, you could make your own pickle brine and use that if you can't eat that many pickles. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Dyal_SC
    Brother Dyal, I missed this when it was originally posted. Looking at the date it was posted when I was offshore working night shift on BP Thunder Horse South Deep Water Project. But I have seen it now my friend. 
    Simply awesome from take off to touchdown. As such:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You go girl! That is outstanding. 
    I fry on the Mini all the time (never the Larges). 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Holy Shiths. I must try this. They look unbelievable. Thank you again for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    dang that is outstanding.  i'm so hungry now.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I officially hate you.  Looks and sounds absolutely delicious.  Look out for @northGAcock, he's got a dog for you.  Thanks for documenting!
    I hate him too!  ;)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    That looks so good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Bravo!!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Dyal_SC said: The mini is a perfect little fry daddy IMO.

Dang those look good!  For frying like this, or any other cook with the lid up, do you have any control over the temperature?  With the lid up, does the air vent at the bottom still have any affect?  How do you keep the oil from getting too hot?  Thanks!
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    herbu said:

Dang those look good!  For frying like this, or any other cook with the lid up, do you have any control over the temperature?  With the lid up, does the air vent at the bottom still have any affect?  How do you keep the oil from getting too hot?  Thanks!
    I was wondering the exact same thing. My large egg turns into a raging inferno if I leave the lid open for too long.

But I'm definitely saving pickle juice from now on! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Not sure how I missed this thread :glasses:
    Excellent!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    herbu said:

I keep an eye on the oil temp with the thermapen. After adding the meat, the temp drops pretty fast.  It takes it a little while for the temp to creep back up on the mini. If it looks like the temp is getting too hot, the CI pan has a handle, so I just take it off the mini for little bit. It's all about getting a feel for it I guess. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    herbu said:

I keep an eye on the oil temp with the thermapen. After adding the meat, the temp drops pretty fast.  It takes it a little while for the temp to creep back up on the mini. If it looks like the temp is getting too hot, the CI pan has a handle, so I just take it off the mini for little bit. It's all about getting a feel for it I guess. 
    @Dyal_SC Just curios on how much lump you light up to start with?
               And what you let the fire/lump get to?
    Thanks for sharing this. I bumped this one up on my Egging bucket list!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Outstanding. I have to try this. Five stars....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Thx guys!  @Hotch, I load the mini like I normally would to the top of the fire bowl. I light it up and then place the pan on top without getting to any target temp. The lid stays open the whole time. The oil has never gotten nuclear in me. There isn't really too much airflow getting to the coals to allow for it, plus the meat cools the oil down. If it does get too hot, you can just take it off. 
  • EggDat
    Options
    That looks incredible...Definitely going to have to try that