Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Alaska - the last frontier - a legit question: OT

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
I realize Discovery stretches situations a lot to make the show seem interesting and realistic, but I do have a legit question about Alaskan residents. If the summer for growing, hunting, fishing, building and working outofdoors before Winter sets in is only 4 months long, what the hell do they do the other 8 months? Cabin fever must drive residents nuts! 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Alaska has some great beers...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Trapping and hunting, and lots of snow sports if away from the coast.  Snowmobile is as common as a car here. Friend of mine moved there 2 years ago, and loves it.  Misses the  convenience we have to get supplies, but he says all is good, just need to plan more...
    No idea about those who do not like the outdoors.  Maybe they move south? 

He also said once down below -15F, it does not make that much of a difference, only if visibility is low - that means the wind is blowing too.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years. The "getting stuff done" season is a lot longer than 4 months. 

The cold begins to become relative. I once shot a round of skeet at 52 below zero. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Sex?
    Last I'd read, the male/female ratio in Alaska was 6:1.   :o

I had a job offer from Baudette, MN with about the same M/F ratio, I passed although it was a beautiful area.  I lived in Grand Forks ND for 3 years during my last Active Duty assignment, long-assed, cold winters but I managed to get outside year-round; @Sea2Ski 's friend is right, once you get to -10/-15 below zero, it doesn't really matter (although at -25 below, you need both hands/arms to shift a transmission until it warms up).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Ever heard of D i c k Proenneke?  He lived there - alone - for about 35 years as I recall. 

http://cineview.me/msh.php?url=2ed9dd9c57c07

Besides, Peoria ain't much warmer! 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sex?
    That former gov wasn't too hard on the eyes.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sex?
    But dumb as a frigging stump. Looks only last so long. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Sex?
    But dumb as a frigging stump. Looks only last so long. 
    I had a colleague in business who was smart and hard working. His goal in life which he did achieve was to be admitted as a partner in Price Waterhouse & Co. Along the way he decided he deserved a trophy wife. While she remained faithful to him she was dumb as a box of rocks! He told me years later "youth and beauty fade, but stupid is forever"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    I lived in Fairbanks for 4 years. The "getting stuff done" season is a lot longer than 4 months. 

The cold begins to become relative. I once shot a round of skeet at 52 below zero. 

Ain't that the truth! Here in South Florida, once it drops below 70, they are wearing jackets and turtlenecks. Below 60, gloves and hats and shivering when they walk outside. Simply unreal.

I haven't worn long sleeves other than with a suit since I moved here 19 years ago.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Ain't that the truth! Here in South Florida, once it drops below 70, they are wearing jackets and turtlenecks. Below 60, gloves and hats and shivering when they walk outside. Simply unreal.

I haven't worn long sleeves other than with a suit since I moved here 19 years ago.
    Funniest thing I've seen recently was when I was in Asheville/Boone back in October. Almost everyone was in parkas, hats, and gloves. My wife and I were in t-shirts. It was 68. Interesting how that stuff works based on where you live and when you experience cold.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The ladies like to breakout the UGGS here in the ATX when it gets below 70. UGGS and shorts are hot. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sex?
    But very hard on the ears. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sex?
    But very hard on the ears. 
    Doncha know?(smacks gum)

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Ever heard of D i c k Proenneke?  He lived there - alone - for about 35 years as I recall. 

http://cineview.me/msh.php?url=2ed9dd9c57c07

Besides, Peoria ain't much warmer! 

I just watched Alone in the Wilderness last week, enjoyed every minute of it.  D i c k is an Iowa bada$$, who built a small fortress in Alaska.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    UGGS and shorts are hot. 

• smokeybreeze
    Options
    Years ago Fairbanks could see a nearly 160*F difference in temperatures in a single year. With global warming they aren't getting as cold as they used to when I lived there.

Fred Meyer, the "Super Target" of the north had duplex outlets in their parking lot in fron of every parking stall, so you could plug your car in (engine block heater, battery blanket, oil pan heater, ...) when you shopped.

And best of all...When I worked at the UAF campus, as the temperatures warmed up from the January/February deep-freeze (2-3 weeks when the high was ~-40 and we spent 8+ weeks with the high less than 0*F) and the temps got above freezing, the students would start wearing shorts and T-shirts like this. After all, +35*F and sunny is darn right warm comparatively speaking:

When I was a kid I bought the book by Richard Proenneke (RIP), "One Man's Wilderness" and that inspired me to spend a decade and a half adventuring/working/living in Alaska.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Years ago Fairbanks could see a nearly 160*F difference in temperatures in a single year. With global warming they aren't getting as cold as they used to when I lived there.

Fred Meyer, the "Super Target" of the north had duplex outlets in their parking lot in fron of every parking stall, so you could plug your car in (engine block heater, battery blanket, oil pan heater, ...) when you shopped.

And best of all...When I worked at the UAF campus, as the temperatures warmed up from the January/February deep-freeze (2-3 weeks when the high was ~-40 and we spent 8+ weeks with the high less than 0*F) and the temps got above freezing, the students would start wearing shorts and T-shirts like this. After all, +35*F and sunny is darn right warm comparatively speaking:

When I was a kid I bought the book by Richard Proenneke (RIP), "One Man's Wilderness" and that inspired me to spend a decade and a half adventuring/working/living in Alaska.
    This is so awesome smokey, great post.

I could see myself on a type of "mission" sabbatical trip up there after my crib is payed off when I'm 50, and my boy is off doing his thang.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."