Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib for Thanksgiving

Options
2»

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

CodyA88 said:
    Looks delicious.  Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Thank you for the kindness, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your friends, as well as family.
    Our best,
    S&R
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

I'll never come close to this greatness. That meat is top notch and I know less than zero about wine. Must not allow spouse onto forum...
    You are too kind. But I will take it and boast.
    You are the best my brother. Thank you for the kindness.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Nothing better than cooking for a group and coming through with a home run. Looks great. I'm sure it was appreciated by all, though they have probably come to expect nothing less.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Dayum Ron!!   That's all.  
    I have seen your cooks bro, and from them, I have moved up my cooking game, from idiot, to not bad.
    You sir inspire me with your dedication, and skills. Thank  You For the kind WORDDs.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Don't sell yourself short!   Your cookS are awesome and todays cook reinforces that thought that much more. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bravo, sir! I was getting tired of all of these turkey cooks :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    This cook is certainly akin to the proverbial hippy in a windstorm. Awesome job ole buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    Options
    Nothing better than cooking for a group and coming through with a home run. Looks great. I'm sure it was appreciated by all, though they have probably come to expect nothing less.
    It is kind of funny in a way. Almost all that I cook for, have never experienced food off a komodo style cooker. Unless, of course they have had it here, so there might be an expectation of sorts.
    However, my skill level, consists entirely of building a fire, getting it to temperature, select type of smoking wood chunks, placing food on the BGE, waiting while using a food thermometer, then pulling, when the temp is where it needs to be.
    The BGE and the Rockwood do the cooking. I just assist.
    It has been my experience, mediocre off the BGE, typically bests any dining out experience, I have had. So as long as I can keep it at least at that level, I think my family and friends will be happy with the results.
    I am not a great cook like yourself, and others on this sight, I just own a couple of Big Green Eggs, and I use them.
    Thank you for the kind words.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Don't sell yourself short!   Your cookS are awesome and todays cook reinforces that thought that much more. 
    Thank you brother, I give all the credit to SRF, Rockwood, and the BGE. All I did was drink wine and wait, after getting the BGE to the correct temp. If that makes me a good cook, I'll take it. You rock dude.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

caliking said:
    Bravo, sir! I was getting tired of all of these turkey cooks :)
    My Beautiful Wife actually called this cook. She only likes turkey deep fried, because it is gone same day. 
    She did all the real cooking today, baking potato biscuits, mashed potatoes, gravy,  pies, everything was great because of her.
    I just got out of the kitchen, sat by the grill, and drank wine, which she brought me when she took a break, to check on me.
    It turned out pretty well, great meal, and it was fun.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SGH said:
    This cook is certainly akin to the proverbial hippy in a windstorm. Awesome job ole buddy.  
    Thank you Scottie, I hope your day went well. It was going to be awesome, because I learned from you. Everything I cook, is done from what you and the other BGE Gods, we're kind enough to teach me. 
    I speak of you all, when the compliments start flying around the table, because of the food. 
    Bottom line, I look like a rock star, to these folks, but in reality, I am just doing cover tunes, to the real hits.
    It was windy up here though.
    BTW, have you heard from Carey lately? If you have contact with him, tell him I said hello, and get his butt back in here.
    Thanks again Scottie, means much to me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Awesome job that looks fantastic! Nice finish!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bclarksicle
    Options
    That is outstanding!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Brother Ron that was some cook.... Just awesome!!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • YukonRon
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Awesome job that looks fantastic! Nice finish!
    The folks gathered at the table gave it a nice finish, we were indeed blessed. They left asking for some to take home. We obliged, of course

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

That is outstanding!
    Thank you my friend, it did turn out better than I had previously anticipated.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

Brother Ron that was some cook.... Just awesome!!!  
    Johnny, thank you so very much. It was the first time I had done two "bone in" Prime Ribs on the XL, hopefully the last.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stevez
    stevez Posts: 123
    Options
    Man that's beautiful and looks delicious.  That is on my list to try and you have set the bar.  How long was it on the Egg in total at that temp?  Thanks!
    Steve

X/L BGE

Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    5.5 hours total time, but I did two of them. Should take about the same time. I had some wind to deal with, but it came through pretty well. It was cold here in the 40s and damp. I let them sit for an hour prior to cook, and when pulled, I tented them with foil, and let rest for about 15 to 20 minutes before carving. I carved 1 to 1.5 inches. I used the fat to make gravy for My Beautiful Wife's potatoes.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Wow - that is beautiful!  Especially love the wine pairing. Incredibly well done. Thank you to you and all the experienced Eggers for continuing to post and share. I learn every time I come on this form in and happily try to copy meals like this!  Happy Thanksgiving!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • YukonRon
    Options
    I think a Chateauneuf Du Pape would make anything better. The wine was outstanding.
    Thank you for the kind words. If I can help anytime let me know.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife's Yorks hire pudding, AKA gravy mop.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    And My Beautiful Wife's rolls made with mashed potatoes as the dough.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Most excellent looking cook. Nice work.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YukonRon
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Most excellent looking cook. Nice work.
    Thank you brother, we had a full table of friends and family, as well as food. Leftovers the rest of the day, then whatever is left goes into soup.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky