Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crunch time... MM or KJ

Options
2»

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I would have had a MM as well for a steal of a price, NIB ( it was a weeding gift and the couple didn't want it, so they put it on Kijiji) but Big Bad Bruce wouldn't honor the warranty.

Did I need it? Nope I have a large and a mini, but ill buy anything for a good price that I know I can use. If I liked it I could have sold the mini or vice versa.

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i was in your exact same boat about a year ago.  went with the kj jr and never looked back.  bought it at the costco roadshow and as was said with the accessories it comes with its closer to $2-300 cheaper than the minimax.  since 99% of the time its just the wife and i, it has replaced my large as my work horse

here is a spatched bird on the joe jr

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have the KJ Jr.  Here's my comparison with the MM.  No matter which way you go, I strongly suggest a Kick-Ash basket or an after-market fire grate to improve air flow.  Makes a big difference with this size cooker.

Hope this helps!

Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input.... I am kind of leaning towards a Mini now.... SO question for those mini owners.  The woo recommended? Is there really much benefit to having the woo on a mini?  As stated previously, I will do an occasional 4-6lb pork butt while camping. (That is if the mini can pull that off)

I assume get an 8.5" stone from amazon to fit inside of the woo vs going with the egg plate setter?

**edit** would the 3" smokeware thermometer fit on this egg? Not sure if its face is too big?

Thanks

@Mickey  @SGH

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    For camping? Neither.

Akorn Jr FTW

Gittin' there...
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    bhedges1987 said:
    **edit** would the 3" smokeware thermometer fit on this egg? Not sure if its face is too big?

Thanks

@Mickey  @SGH
    The 3" face has nothing to do with fitting on the Egg. The stem sizes are all universal. So they will fit in the mini.
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    For camping? Neither.

Akorn Jr FTW

Agreed @fearlesstheeggnoob , but I think we're in the minority.  Plenty of guys want to transport their eggs.  Where I go camping, bouncing a ceramic egg would stress me out.  

A Weber kettle with a slow and seer insert would be my choice.  
    Phoenix 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thanks for all of the input.... I am kind of leaning towards a Mini now.... SO question for those mini owners.  The woo recommended? Is there really much benefit to having the woo on a mini?  As stated previously, I will do an occasional 4-6lb pork butt while camping. (That is if the mini can pull that off)

I assume get an 8.5" stone from amazon to fit inside of the woo vs going with the egg plate setter?

Thanks

@Mickey  @SGH
    Very much so. Also a 9" CI Lodge griddle. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Reltserw
    Options
    I have a large egg and wanted to get something a little more compact for daily cooks - two steaks, chicken breast, pork chops, etc. I scoured Craigslist for a MM or a KJ Jr. to try and find one on the cheap. Soon enough I came across a Jr. that was new in the box for an outstanding deal and couldn't pass it up. 

Anyways, the Jr. has been amazing so far and I probably use it a little more than my Large. Heats up quickly, uses minimal lump and shuts down quickly as well. Also had a crack in the firebox last week - one email to their warranty deptartment and within 30 mins I received an email stating that the replacement part was on the way. 

I would highly recommend the KJ (although biased as I have never used the MM) 
  • Chillin@5
    Options
    I have a MM and bought my brother a KJjr for xmas last year because of the red color. I have used them side by side several times and I prefer MM. it is easier to get to high temps and control.  kJ works fine but there is a difference in the density of the ceramic and quality. 
    1 XL , 1 LBGE , 1MM a very tolerant hubby and 2 hungry teenage boys with a lot of friends. I Love playin' with charcoal and sippin' Bourbon in Fenton, MI. Live Large!