Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So The Dog Ate The Turkey

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,030
edited November 2016 in EggHead Forum
The little bastard started chowing down on the turkey that was thawing downstairs. My wife grabbed it out of the spare fridge and forgot to set it up out of the way. Our fault. It was a spare turkey I was hoping to smoke for a family in need. Fortunately I didn't seek out any family before this happened. I still have a spare turkey in the freezer but it's frozen solid. I'd still like to help a family out somehow locally but this doesn't help any. Any way to thaw out a turkey in a day and a half? Thanks!

He wouldn't even look at me. He knew he was in trouble!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Put it in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water. Change water every 30-45 minutes. I would guess it will be thawed in 4-5 hrs
    Greensboro, NC
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    He's a good boy!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    My Last lab stole a whole chicken at a dinner party. I can relate. The current one is a thief and a liar. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Set the frozen turkey in a sink completely submerged (not hot....just room temp). Drain and fill with tap water about every hour....It can be done but you will need to work it to be successful. 

Great of you to want to help others. Wish I live nearby...would love to help cook and deliver a few with you Web. Good luck. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    As above but I have used cold water to get there.  No worries-and a great gesture.  At least Woofer has a case here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duck_Egg_82
    Options
    Lol. I can relate to this story. My lab Charli ate an entire carved turkey about 10 years ago. She got in pretty good trouble then, now we just laugh and talk about it every Thanksgiving. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Beautiful dog.  Can't get mad at that face!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Sous Vide.
    Set temp to room temp and let it run.
    Love your Dog. He may get away with a lot, if he was mine.  :)

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My dog won't do anything at home, but countersurfs like a mofo when my parents watch her. Always seems to get a loaf of bread.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Our Golden, Putter, wolfed a cooked pot roast and more than one stick of butter in his day. miss that boy. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    He doesn't look like one of the Bumpus hounds.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    Mine ate most of a tray of meatballs headed to the egg.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Put it in a 5 gallon bucket of warm water. Change water every 30-45 minutes. I would guess it will be thawed in 4-5 hrs
    not warm- room temp. warm water is bad for a big cut of meat. it will thaw in a few hours at room temp in water

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Mine ate a bowl of hamburger grease last Saturday. Bread has to go on top of the fridge.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Here he is after he got his tags stuck on the grid whilst sneaking a lick:

look how "sad" he is pretending to be.
    I haven't laughed this hard in awhile, thanks!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• EggHeadinFlorida
    Options
    Could be worse......

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    My dad after a few scotches often embodies Ralphie's dad from a Christmas Story, fitting post!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Aviator said:
    Sous Vide.
    Set temp to room temp and let it run.
    Love your Dog. He may get away with a lot, if he was mine.  :)
    My Anova has an "ice bath check". Circulates water. Alerts you by phone if it goes above 40 F. I always thought it would be perfect for thawing.  Never tried it. 
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    WeberWho said:I still have a spare turkey in the freezer but it's frozen solid... Any way to thaw out a turkey in a day and a half?

1. It doesn't look like he ate that much.  Cook and eat it yourself.  :)
    2. This site from Thermopen tells you how to cook a completely frozen turkey!  http://blog2.thermoworks.com/2016/11/turkey-911-cook-frozen-turkey/?utm_source=Nl-2016Nov21&utm_medium=email&utm_term=ClassicLtdEd&utm_content=inbox&utm_campaign=Nov2016-Last-Day-To-Ship-cs-a
    Didn't know you could do it, but it makes sense.
    3. Put it in a large sink or cooler and fill w/ water.  They always say change the water, but I never do.  Some say keep adding ice, but I never do.  In fact, thawed 3 turkey breasts in the sink yesterday.  Checked water temp a few times and it hovered around 39deg.  It is within the temp range the food police say you should stay.

Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    be glad it was your bird, caught my dog and another dog playing tag football in the mud with the neighbors just cooked peking duck last year. it was the main meal for their chinese moon festival =) that did not go over good with the wife
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ChuckR
    ChuckR Posts: 248
    Options
    Two weeks ago my lab Gus ate a pro tendterloin. I thought it was out of his reach but apparently he is smarter than I thought.
    Suwanee, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have heard about the cold water thaw but it sounds like kind of a PITA since you have to change the water every 30 min.  I think I would cook from frozen as suggested above in the thermoworks article.  Either that, or just go buy another non-frozen turkey and cook the frozen one another time.  

Your pup is a handsome devil.  My 3rd is 9 months now and I can't even tell you the damage toll he has racked up.  He can get to anything on the counter or in the kitchen sink. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I would still cook it as well.   Rinse it well, and cook it. Once cooked, trim the gnawed off end and slice up the rest. That bird is 98% whole and what remains is 100% good in my book. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @WeberWho - a couple of months after I got my egg, I went to the Poolside Eggfest. The BGE rep was there and he cooked one from frozen. 350 degrees for 5 hrs. It was amazing.

I've done it once or twice too and it turns out great. If I remember correctly, when I did it, I did a 12 lb bird and it took about 5 1/2 hours for me. The toughest part is getting the giblet bag out when it's thawed enough. Give it a try - I think you'll be pleased with the results.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Mmm.  Turkey Tartare. ;)
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

OK but did the poor doggy get sick?

Last year I had some cube steaks thawing on the counter. We have Corgis, so they can't counter surf. Thought we were good. Came home found steaks gone, nothing but butcher paper littered on the floor. It appears the cat knocked it off of the counter, on to the floor where the dog took over.

Cats and dogs, working together for evil. Who would have known? We still laugh about that one.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Here he is after he got his tags stuck on the grid whilst sneaking a lick:

look how "sad" he is pretending to be.
    I haven't laughed this hard in awhile, thanks!  
    I laughed my ass off when I saw this. The pasta was not funny. At all. He sh!t everywhere and it cost me a small fortune in cleaning and vet bills. Apparently eating what amounts 1/4 your body weight in 100% whole wheat pasta is more than the recommended amount of fiber. Damn dog. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX