Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT light bulbs question

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
anyone know what this type of led bulb would be called? It's flat and round and I can go up to 7.5 watts.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Awfully heavy cooling fins for an LED.    :o

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    Botch said:
    Actually, LED's and their drivers generate a lot of heat once you get into higher output LED's.

AS to what type of "bulb" that is  - dunno. What kind of socket does it have?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    Actually, LED's and their drivers generate a lot of heat once you get into higher output LED's.

You think there are pins in the back? I was worried it was direct wired.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    Lit said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

What does the back of the "bulb" look like? It appears you are holding it in your hand so I don't see how it could be hard wired unless you took it out of a ceiling canister light. Are there just a couple of bare wires coming out the back? 

I've dealt with these folks before - perhaps looking around there you can find something to substitute - https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/can-light-retrofit/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Sorry not quite what you're asking but sort of OT related so I'd share...
    I replaced the double circular fluorescent tubes for the kitchen ceiling fixtures with cheapo LED circular strips from aliexpress.

old:

new:  under C$10, free shipping, comes with low voltage transformer, connectors and magnets to attach strip to existing housing.  Has 30 tiny rectangular LEDs similar to yours(?), rated at 15w so it's .5w per LED.

quite happy with them but recently one of them quit working, made in China what do you expect  =)

no worry ... it was easy to fix ... the LEDs are soldered on the circuit board.  all LEDs went extremely dim, except one of them was unlit at all. my educated guess was that must be the culprit, so I bypassed it with a 'clumsy' soldering job  :) and voila!

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Also got tired of replacing the halogen bulbs for the kitchen exhaust, replaced with LED and new low power transformer.

canuckland
  • Lit
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

What does the back of the "bulb" look like? It appears you are holding it in your hand so I don't see how it could be hard wired unless you took it out of a ceiling canister light. Are there just a couple of bare wires coming out the back? 

I've dealt with these folks before - perhaps looking around there you can find something to substitute - https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/can-light-retrofit/
    I haven't had time to take it apart yet I just hung em and moved on to trim and putting the vanity and toilet back in. Probably won't get to it tonight 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Even if the 'bypass' works for you, you'll lose 33% output.  For me losing 1/30 is no big deal.
    canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Lit said:
    anyone know what this type of led bulb would be called? It's flat and round and I can go up to 7.5 watts.
    Umm, probably "broken."  LEDs typically have some sort of diffuser over the emitters, because those are point sources. Can't tell from the pic, but at least small dome of plastic is common for single diodes, so there is something of a beam.

The radiators on the back side are to dissipate the heat from the control circuits. While the emitters themselves can be good for 10s of thousands of hours, the electronics that drive the pulses are likely to burn out well before that.

LEDs on the whole are extremely efficient. Low power, long life, and on the whole, less toxic than fluorescents. There are still problems with color. The phosphors that re-transmit the  basic blue light can fail after 5 - 6 years. resulting in peculiar pink or green colors. And the manufacturers are starting to skimp on the driving circuits, so they will fail earlier, and require a lamp replacement before 10 - 20 years.

I still have a small 15 year old 10 W array that works. 20 leds. Sickly yellow, and the flicker is obvious up close. Been using it in a corner of my basement for the past few years.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Has 30 tiny rectangular LEDs similar to yours(?), rated at 15w so it's .5w per LED.
    Hmm, I've got some things to learn.  I've only worked with the "Edison bulb" replacements, didn't know this was what LEDs looked like "naked"; apologies to the OP.  :blush:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Lit
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Lit said:
    Umm, probably "broken."  LEDs typically have some sort of diffuser over the emitters, because those are point sources. Can't tell from the pic, but at least small dome of plastic is common for single diodes, so there is something of a beam.

The radiators on the back side are to dissipate the heat from the control circuits. While the emitters themselves can be good for 10s of thousands of hours, the electronics that drive the pulses are likely to burn out well before that.

LEDs on the whole are extremely efficient. Low power, long life, and on the whole, less toxic than fluorescents. There are still problems with color. The phosphors that re-transmit the  basic blue light can fail after 5 - 6 years. resulting in peculiar pink or green colors. And the manufacturers are starting to skimp on the driving circuits, so they will fail earlier, and require a lamp replacement before 10 - 20 years.

I still have a small 15 year old 10 W array that works. 20 leds. Sickly yellow, and the flicker is obvious up close. Been using it in a corner of my basement for the past few years.

No they work fine they are brand new but they are 3000 k and only 3w and it says on the little box it's dimmable and can go to 7.5 w. I had seen them before and found what I'm guessing they are but need to take them apart. I'm looking for a 5000 k and 7.5 w dimmable probably gonna be on the slow boat from China. https://www.amazon.com/HERO-LED-BG4EX-5T-WW-Extended-Replacement-Dimmable/dp/B00QE2TXB0/ref=sr_1_34?ie=UTF8&qid=1479687046&sr=8-34-spons&keywords=g4+led+bulb&psc=1
  • gdenby
    Options
    Prologue: I'm getting ready to lay down, one of my knees is killing me. Time for a couple of naproxen sodiums. Here's what I can offer just now.

You show a pic with 2 lamps w. diffusers. I'm supposing these are the original fixtures and you want to change out the LEDs.  ??

The Amazon reference shows replacement LEDs. But it seems you want something with a higher color temp? 5K instead of 3K? 5K is fairly harsh for small interior settings. Very blue-white. If the LEDs can be dimmed, the effect will most likely not be desirable. Human eyes do not respond well to dim "cool" lights. Everything looks ghostly, and colors desaturate.

Among the LEDs I worked with, there were ones that had various screws to change color temp and watts. Are you able to get into the driving circuits and up the wattage? 3K are kind of yellow, but boosted in a small space they might work well for 4 - 5 years before the circuits get toasted.

Bye. Fluorescent tubes needed ballasts and maybe fuses. LEDs usually have more complex electronics.
  • Lit
    Options
    @gdenby we can't stand the yellow light it doesn't seem natural. Our whole house is 5k and it's a white light not blue yet. Between 6k and 6500 is where I start seeing the blue.
  • gdenby
    Options
    Lit said:
    @gdenby we can't stand the yellow light it doesn't seem natural. Our whole house is 5k and it's a white light not blue yet. Between 6k and 6500 is where I start seeing the blue.
    Good morning! 

6 - 6.5 is way too blue for me...

Yes, 3K is quite yellow. I have an adjustable desk lamp, and usually have it set between 3800 and 4300.

Let me suggest that you look up a site called candlepowerforums. When I started using LEDs, I spent lots of time looking over reviews, and recall there were a fair number of people putting their own fixtures together. You might find more specific info about what can and can not be swapped into the circuitry. Altho' the cost of LEDs is way lower than what it was 10 years ago, ones that are overdriven discolor and fail fairly quickly.

Also, note that the manufacturers are starting to put out lower quality lamps because they realized that being able to sell a bulb once every generation was probably not good for business.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    First look I would immediately think of a motor's cooling disbursement fins.  Does it get hot enough to need this?  I can't imagine a LED would.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Options
    First look I would immediately think of a motor's cooling disbursement fins.  Does it get hot enough to need this?  I can't imagine a LED would.
    It does actually get pretty hot. I am gonna call the company today and see if they know if it's something I can easily change or if I need to find someone smarter than me. Their website says it's a LG ceramic backed LED but not a pin type or anything. Hoping it's just plug and play.