Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet smokers. Yay or nay?

Options

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have been a pellet smoker for the last 10 years or so. About a month ago I won a BGE. Cannot be happier with my egg, and I honestly have only used my pellet grill once since, but I am not ready to give it up. The one time I used it was to cook steaks and then I finished them on the BGE with a reverse sear. Turned out really well and I didn't have to change configurations on the egg or pull the steaks to bump up the heat. I am finding the BGE is more versatile but there are still a lot of things I like about the pellet grill. Never used a stick burner so I have no comparison.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    its not about outages as it is convenience for me.  i just dont like the thought of dragging an electrical cord to my grills.  i dont use electric starters or a controller for the same reason.  i guess im just old fashioned lol
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    The main things I didn't like about either of my pellet poopers was 1: Anything above 225 and your not getting really any smoke.  My traeger I needed to be around 200-215 to get a thin blue sweet smoke.  At 250 your cooking in an oven.

My yoder I could get smoke up to 235.  Anything above that and your cooking in an oven with no added flavor.

The cleaning was the worst part honestly for me.  The augers have problems if you don't clean them before every other cook ( been like this on both my grills, so wasn't just a fluke for one of them)  

I had to bring my grates in before every cook and clean them in the sink.  It's almost impossible to do a hot burn and scrape them with a brush as they don't get hot enough, or if you remove the diffusor plate, the hot flames only hit a small portion of your grates.

Removing both of the diffusor plates, and vaccuming it constantly was what I hated most.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• dogfoot
    dogfoot Posts: 62
    Options
    I have a Traeger I use it for quick cooks, I am single cooking fo one  I like it
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Nay
    New Albany, Ohio 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Every cooker has its pros/cons. I was thinking about getting a Yoder pooper a year and a half ago but decided I didn't want a cooker that required electricity.

So a few months ago I bought a Karubecue that requires...electricity. Guess I changed my mind on the one variable.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    @HeavyG  doesn't your rig use real "sticks" vs the pellets??  I think you are at least the third forum participant that runs the Karubeque-no one has complained yet.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    @hondabbq any updates on your impressions for comparison to the egg
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @hondabbq, how do you cold smoke on the egg?  I have a mini egg knock off and was thinking of doing this sometime on Naked Whiz.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmokingcan/coldsmokingcan.htm

I found this on YouTube for Rec Tec on a cold smoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrGopp9irY
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just as any new piece in the arsenal you have to learn its ins and outs. I recently did a 6 butt cook. Only my second cook overall on the new grill. 
    Aside from a small fire, yes fire, that was the result of too much fat drippings that I found out after the fact that I should have foiled the dual grates to channel it away to the drip pail. If too much grease gets between it spills over and into the lower "barrel" and starts a fire. I was 2 hours from being done when I caught it so I just finished them in the oven. 
    They came out great. Just as good as the egg. 
    This past Sunday I did a 10 lb batch of pepperoni snack sticks. Can't do that on the egg. My friends said they were my best ones yet. Excellent smoke flavor. There was lots of it as I only  took the temp up to 175f. Anything under 250 produces an abundance of smoke. I did ribs 2 weeks ago and they came out great too. I just did the same procedure as the egg, I know that works, and it came out just as good.

Mainly working on the placement of the firebox as I did have some side to side temp swings but to me that comes with the territory of learning the unit. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    @hondabbq, how do you cold smoke on the egg?  I have a mini egg knock off and was thinking of doing this sometime on Naked Whiz.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmokingcan/coldsmokingcan.htm

I found this on YouTube for Rec Tec on a cold smoker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlrGopp9irY

I don't.

I outgrew the egg for anything smoked about 2 years ago. I have a couple other smokers/chambers that I use for smoking anything that needs smoke. Of course I still do ribs and other things on it.

Any cold smoking that I do is done with the AMNPS

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Ladeback69

With a AMNPS, you can cold smoke effectively in just about any cooker with upper and lower vents.  I've used a simple weber kettle, egg, uds, and a stickburner.  
    Phoenix 
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited October 2022
    Options
    And I know nothing about them.
    Anyone has one for this visit, please? Any ideas on what is the best pellet smoker grill?
    I do not need a big one, space can be an issue. I would cook ribs and roasts in it but not turkeys.
    Your thoughts, please.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited October 2022
    Options
    I mentioned in a previous post in this thread that I was considering purchasing a Cookshack FEC pellet smoker, I eventually purchased a FEC 120. This size smoker is perhaps too big for average home use. It can easily handle 15 or so 10 pound pork butts. Other than cost, there is no disadvantage in having the FEC 120. I have found the secret to having a good smoke flavor with the pellet smoker is cooking with 100% Hickory pellets- I like the Lumber Jack brand.

I love the set it and don't worry about it, cooking experience the FEC provides. It will cook 1 pork but as easily as 15. 

The FEC is probably a little more smoker than most people need, but it really is a purchase that will last for a long time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Just as any new piece in the arsenal you have to learn its ins and outs. I recently did a 6 butt cook. Only my second cook overall on the new grill. 
    Aside from a small fire, yes fire, that was the result of too much fat drippings that I found out after the fact that I should have foiled the dual grates to channel it away to the drip pail. If too much grease gets between it spills over and into the lower "barrel" and starts a fire. I was 2 hours from being done when I caught it so I just finished them in the oven. 
    They came out great. Just as good as the egg. 
    This past Sunday I did a 10 lb batch of pepperoni snack sticks. Can't do that on the egg. My friends said they were my best ones yet. Excellent smoke flavor. There was lots of it as I only  took the temp up to 175f. Anything under 250 produces an abundance of smoke. I did ribs 2 weeks ago and they came out great too. I just did the same procedure as the egg, I know that works, and it came out just as good.

Mainly working on the placement of the firebox as I did have some side to side temp swings but to me that comes with the territory of learning the unit. 
    Everybody I know that has a pallet say the same things. Lack of smoke and auger problems. 

I know about the auger problems from years ago, a neighbor had one, and in the humidity of our weather, the system of dispensing properly was impacted by the absorption of water in the pellets, eventually clogging the auger. I repaired it twice in 3 years. The 4th time it just stayed in my garage, until I gave it away.

I usually cook anytime he wants something off the grill, another neighbor that has moved away, also had a pellet cooker, and occasionally brings me something to cook for him. Just a reason to visit, I suppose, just to raid my wine rack or my modest bourbon/whiskey bar.

they call them EZ Bake ovens, and in a sense that is an applicable label. It is easy and simple to roast anything you want. Certainly easier than the BGE, to most people.

Just like anything else they all have their positives and negatives. Convenience and ease are the big reasons for a pellet, and most people like never having to check on anything.

I think I have my BGEs dialed in, to where I am confident in their performances. I like my eggs better than a pellet, but that is just me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,400
    Options
    @YukonRon - Great that you have once again surfaced here.  Your perspective across the spectrum is always valuable.
    Hope all is well as you have a few major life style considerations on the burner.  
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Cap
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I have both. A GMG and two Eggs Large and mini.  Each has it's sweet spot.   Don't regret getting the GMG
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    I have tried nearly every type of smoker design.  I currently own 2 large eggs, 1 extra large, a KBQ and a big Rockin W gravity fed unit.  This bench meets all of my grilling/smoking needs.

My experience with a Traeger pellet grill follows:  Very easy to operate, repeatable results, an excellent app and recipe database.  Makes a juicy perfectly cooked product however, there is little to no smoke profile.  I tried to produce a better smoke profile including a smoke tube, chips in foil, etc. and nothing got me desired results so my $1,500 experiment ended after 3 months and I sold it finally realizing that the pellet moisture content is so low it is impossible to develop my desired smoke profile.  
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Saw the Traeger guy yesterday at Costco.  I guess they are doing another road show.  Prices are usually pretty good, if you are in the market for one.

Here's a link for where they will be
    https://www.costco.com/traeger-schedule.html
    Raleigh, NC
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have an XL. Bought the Recteq 590 earlier this year when I had to wait 3 months for a new base replacement. I was originally on the fence about a pellet smoker and considered a Traeger as my Stepson was offering me a 40% discount code for any Traeger I wanted. I decided to go with the Recteq after hearing about other eggers that were giving it great reviews. I find that I am using the RT 590 90% of the time for my cooks. Spare Ribs, Beef Ribs, Brisket and Pork Butt cooks with great results. If I am grilling a steak I use my egg. When I reverse sear a Tri-tip I use the RT to smoke and the Egg to sear.  

The ReqTeq is a great mid priced pellet smoker that is well built and their customer service is great.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I was gifted a camp chef about six months ago.  It’s not the best pellet grill out there by a long shot, but I’ve been playing with it and like it better than I expected.  Like @dstearn mentions with tri tip, I use it in combo with the egg, but I do this with most things I cook - ribs, pork butts, etc.  I typically use the pellet on a lower heat/higher smoke setting to get something going at a lower heat for a few hours, then transition to the egg for the longer run and escalating temps.  I like the combo this way, but what I don’t like on mine is running it for a really long time or at high heat, it just chews through pellets which aren’t cheap. As the temp drops outside, the math is going to continue to skew toward the egg for me.
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I love my kamado Joe and have cooked hundreds of meals on it. But nothing beats the convenience of my rec teq. I turn it on with the app when I leave the office and load it up when I get home. The kamado Joe just gets weekend use now and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Smoke profile isn’t as good by no means but convenience out weighs that right now as busy as we are. 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    My Eggs were destroyed in the Derecho two years ago. Bought a Memphis Wood Fired Pellet grill and am quite pleased with the convenience and capability. If you prefer a smokier flavor it is best to go at a lower temperature. Using single wood pellets is also much better than the normal oak plus flavor pellets which tend to be very mild. However, the blended pellets are great for fish and poultry which can be overpowered by too much smoke. Pure Hickory works well for beef and pork as do other 100% flavor woods. If you cook at higher temps you can always add a smoke tube to increase flavor. BTW, I did replace my XL this last summer. There are just some things a kamado does better. For me this is a perfect combo. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I’ve been using 100% mesquite cabelas brand pellets lately and have been happier with the smoke flavor. Still not as good as the kamado but not bad for a pellet cooker. 
  • Mr_D
    Mr_D Posts: 18
    Options
    In my opinion which is worth a beer around a campfire the pellet grill provides convenience and that's about where the discussion ends. From my research the pellet grill doesn't provide any better BBQ than a Green Egg or offset smoker.

While I don't own a pellet I have owned just about everything else. The best offset was my 36" Patio Lang that was a smoking machine and built like a tank. Should never have sold that .

If doing this all over (offset) my #1 choice would be a Lang, #2 Oklahoma Joe w/mods. 

The offset needs a fire tender to monitor the fire and will need some fuel every 45 mins to 1 hr. With my Lang I would start out with a bed of chunk charcoal and add in the wood, once up to temp I added a softball size chunk of wood every 45 min or so. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Mr_D said:
    In my opinion which is worth a beer around a campfire the pellet grill provides convenience and that's about where the discussion ends. From my research the pellet grill doesn't provide any better BBQ than a Green Egg or offset smoker.

While I don't own a pellet I have owned just about everything else. The best offset was my 36" Patio Lang that was a smoking machine and built like a tank. Should never have sold that .

If doing this all over (offset) my #1 choice would be a Lang, #2 Oklahoma Joe w/mods. 

The offset needs a fire tender to monitor the fire and will need some fuel every 45 mins to 1 hr. With my Lang I would start out with a bed of chunk charcoal and add in the wood, once up to temp I added a softball size chunk of wood every 45 min or so. 
    So if a pellet grill is convenient, but not any better than green egg or offset, that would mean it’s still a pretty good cooker but less work? Another factor is there is a big difference in different brands of pellet grills and in pellets. I have a few green eggs and an offset. Nice to use a pellet grill when I have other things around the house to work on and don’t want to feed sticks every 45 minutes.

Good grief... those ABT's look fabulous!I think you've mentioned it before, but do you par cook/smoke the bacon beforehand? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My Eggs were destroyed in the Derecho two years ago. Bought a Memphis Wood Fired Pellet grill and am quite pleased with the convenience and capability. If you prefer a smokier flavor it is best to go at a lower temperature. Using single wood pellets is also much better than the normal oak plus flavor pellets which tend to be very mild. However, the blended pellets are great for fish and poultry which can be overpowered by too much smoke. Pure Hickory works well for beef and pork as do other 100% flavor woods. If you cook at higher temps you can always add a smoke tube to increase flavor. BTW, I did replace my XL this last summer. There are just some things a kamado does better. For me this is a perfect combo. 
    I have nothing really to add re: pellet smokers, but just wanted to say that its good to see you post. (And, not just because I lived in North Liberty for a spell :) ).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Kind of been out of it for a while. Had property repairs to wrap up after the storm, then fell and got strep infection in my artificial knee joints. After having those removed, spacers put in and 18 weeks of IV antibiotics, new prosthesis were installed, after being in immobilizing braces for months had to learn to walk again.  In strength therapy now.  It pretty much sucked to be me for the last 18 months.  Oh yeah, just got over C19 for the second time also.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn, that a lot to carry.  Glad you’re on the other side of it.