Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Thermometer

Options

Hello Everyone,

I'm a BGE newbie here and would like to add a wireless thermometer, so I can be more consistent with cooks. I have been considering the flameboss 200, Thermaworks Smoke, or IGrill 2. What do you use and do you have any words of wisdom before I purchase? Is the Flameboss 200 worth 2-3 X more cash?

Thanks in advance.

Large BGE

Richmond, VA

Comments

• PSC
    PSC Posts: 148
    Options
    I use the Maverick and I'm happy with it
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options

I have Flame Boss 200 and I love it. I love the web interface - I don't have to worry about being out of range from the base unit.

Well spent money for my BGE.

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    You're sort of comparing apples and oranges. A flame boss is more than a thermometer - it's a controller, and it's accessible from the web. If you want to remotely monitor and control the egg, for long cooks, it's great. But certainly not needed. 

As far as remote thermometers the only one I have experience with is the maverick. A little hard to program but it works well.

my only concern about the thermoworks unit (which I don't have) is all the controls are on the unit which stays outside. Seems like a hassle. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    And welcome to the forum!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have a couple of the Maverick ET-733's and they have served me well. Someday I may get around to a pit controller.

Good luck with your decision.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,356
    Options
    The FlameBoss is more than just a remote thermometer. It is a "pit controller" that can use a fan to force air into your Egg  to help it hold a specific temp.

If all you are looking for is a remote reading thermometer and have no interest in using that fan you really don't need to spend the extra cash.

The other two you  listed are just remote reading thermos. They have no ability to run/control a fan.

If you just want a simpler remote read thermo with a portable display unit and not needing a fan or checking temps on your phone the Smoke would likely be a good choice. The Smokes are now shipping - some have already received theirs, mine will arrive Saturday. I'm sure it will be a good quality product.

The iGrill2 was recently bought by Weber and there have been numerous complaints that Weber has broken the phone/tablet app for that device. I'm sure they'll fix those issues in time (the app still works just not as well as it used to before they updated it).

The Smoke will be selling a WiFi gateway for the Smoke early next year if that is of interest. If you add that to it tho you're spending about as much as you would if you just went with something like the Flame Boss.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,117
    Options
    I have had the Maverick ET-7 for a good while and other than one of the probes getting wonky its worked great.  Currently using it to monitor the temp of my Freezer which is not cooling well- wont go below 14 degrees though.

I dont ever use the remote monitor- I just aim the base unit so I can see it out the window.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Greetings. I would recommend you go with Maverick or iGrill. Get your feet wet for a while before you consider a unit that can also control egg temp (e.g. fan/blower). --And before any of these, get yourself an instant read thermometer. Thermopop or Thermapen are most recommended. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Sethwvu
    Sethwvu Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will probably et the igrill/ thermaworks/maverick for now and maybe get the flamboss once I get more familiar with things if I feel like iI need the pit controller. I already have an instant read, but have been looking at the thermapop/thermapens for something that doesn't take forever to give me an accurate reading.
    Large BGE

Richmond, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Apples and oranges indeed. I have a Maverick and a DigiQ pit controller (no wifi). If I had it to do again, I would have neither.

At least I use the DigiQ occasionally (mainly because I already wasted, er spent, way too much money on it). However, my last turbo cook was so successful, I may never use the DigiQ again. As for the Maverick, I haven't used that in years.

Re pit controllers, conventional wisdom says, learn how to use the egg (i.e. how to control temps) first. Then decide whether or not to buy one. I did that, bought a controller and I still wish I hadn't.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you only want a remote thermometer then I would go with the Smoke. I have been through a couple of Mavericks and the probes fail. I have an iGrill2 and the range is not great.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    I've had my eye on a FB200 for months now. Would love to be able to put a butt on the egg on a weekend morning and then head out to kids sports and errands and be able to monitor the egg and meat remotely through my phone. 

Any ideas if they are going to release a new version any time soon? A "FB300"? Or should I just ask the wife for the FB200 for Christmas? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,433
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    I echo the above about learning the manual mode of operation and then figure out whether to go with a controller.
    Regarding remote-how remote do you want to be?  lf all you want is something that will let you know what's going on inside the BGE from the outside, then you can downscale to a cabled rig.  Thermoworks makes one and I have had good luck with a long-lasting Accurite unit (4+ years to date).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have a Maverick and love it, BUT it is pain in the butt to program. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Sethwvu
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    I echo the above about learning the manual mode of operation and then figure out whether to go with a controller.
    Regarding remote-how remote do you want to be?  lf all you want is something that will let you know what's going on inside the BGE from the outside, then you can downscale to a cabled rig.  Thermoworks makes one and I have had good luck with a long-lasting Accurite unit (4+ years to date).  FWIW-
    That's basically what I wanted the ability to do, but it would be nice to cut grass, or set an alarm if the temp drops while I'm sleeping (which will be rare that I cook overnight). I don't want to be opening the lid to check if a brisket or butt are close to finished.
    Large BGE

Richmond, VA
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Just do it once and get the Flameboss. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have a Maverick and love it, BUT it is pain in the butt to program. 
    I agree. I just use the probes on mine to monitor the meat temp and the pit temp. The remote sites next to me when I am working at the computer and I can check it as often as I want.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've been using the iGrill2. Works great for me and I like the fact that you can have four probes at once. I've used them all more then once. The main unit is also small and has a magnetic base so it can be stuck out of sight. The software on the app has a lot of preset temps and ranges plus you can customize them as well. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I have the igrill2. Enjoy it. 

I have the FB200. Enjoy it for same and different reasons. 

I have a thermapen. Enjoy it for completely different reasons. 

When i I bought the igrill2, smoke was not an option and I did not own a thermapen. After owning a thermapen, I would go with the smoke. Granted though, first year product could have bugs. 

In the end, I am glad I have all three. I have used them all in different ways already and will continue to do so. I admit, I like to cook with tech. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I would definitely go with the Thermoworks Smoke. I don't have one yet but their quality is second to none. I have owned several Mavericks and found them to be OK but the quality was not great. I went from those to the Thermoworks Chef Alarm. Those are great but are not wireless.
  • Sethwvu
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to go with the Smoke, since it has the features that I'm really looking for and save myself some cash compared to the flameboss.
    Large BGE

Richmond, VA