Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damn you Costco!!!!!!

Options
I didn't have the guts to pull the trigger on this one....

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    Wimp...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    I just want to say that Costco needs to bring that prime brisket to Florida.
    also buy the whole ribeye and cut your own steaks. The flank is great for fajitas, enjoy. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    See this is where I am stupid still. I looked at that as something I cooked whole, not cutting it into steaks. That would have been cheaper than buying them cut!!!

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    I buy that whole prime ribeye at Costco and cut in steaks and vacuum seal.  Often split with another family member with an egg.  One impt note--the cryovac ones at costco are NOT blade tenderized, the other sliced ones are.  You want non-blade tenderized.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Costco sells the Foodsaver vacuum sealers also.....
    Jacksonville FL
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Costco sells the Foodsaver vacuum sealers also.....
    I went looking for one because I think the one I have it home is going out. Takes forever to vacuum out the bag. They didn't have any this time though. 

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    Luvnlife Posts: 219
    Options
    Not sure what brand of sealer you have @tikigriller but I had the same prob with mine. I just had to take out the foam/rubber strip and soak it in warm water for a few mins. Put it back in and it worked great. I wasn't using it very much for a while so it dried out a bit. Worth a shot.... Now if it sits for a while I just do that right at the start and it's still going. 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    What do you think about my selections?  From looking at the pictures, can you make any recommendations of improvement or did I do good?

Livermore, California
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options

Here's three of them. Two aged 100 days. 

• tikigriller
    Options

Luvnlife said:
    Not sure what brand of sealer you have @tikigriller but I had the same prob with mine. I just had to take out the foam/rubber strip and soak it in warm water for a few mins. Put it back in and it worked great. I wasn't using it very much for a while so it dried out a bit. Worth a shot.... Now if it sits for a while I just do that right at the start and it's still going. 
    Thanks!  Trying that right now. 

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options

Here's three of them. Two aged 100 days. 

Oh God am I happy that I look at a picture like that now and get extremely hungry! !

Livermore, California
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    You did well and made the meat gods happy.  Be proud and eat well.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Looks great, you'll have some great eats there!  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • tikigriller
    Options
    So is it just me, or did you all go through a transformation when you were buying meat, that it went from just buying meat, to "shopping" for meat?  And when you realized you were "shopping" and not just buying, you were all jazzed up?

Livermore, California
  • RedSkip
    Options
    Yes, and my wife hates it.  I actually enjoy grocery shopping.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Luvnlife
    Options
    Yes, I totally enjoy it way more now. Spend most of the time in the meat section and love it. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You win wallet genocide. It would seem, by my calculations, that while you have been a member only for a brief while, you have already spent a rather tidy sum. Congrats, or my condolences - whichever is more appropriate.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Soaked seals worked like a champ!!!  Sealed in less than 15 seconds

Livermore, California
  • Luvnlife
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Soaked seals worked like a champ!!!  Sealed in less than 15 seconds

Awesome, so glad it worked! Now with the $$ you saved on a sealer, you can get that 16# ribeye! 
  • tikigriller
    Options
    You win wallet genocide. It would seem, by my calculations, that while you have been a member only for a brief while, you have already spent a rather tidy sum. Congrats, or my condolences - whichever is more appropriate.
    You ain't kidding!  However, I don't count the meat. One has to eat and all!!!!

Livermore, California
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    This thread epitomizes everything both beautiful and dangerous with this hobby.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You ain't kidding!  However, I don't count the meat. One has to eat and all!!!!
    I like your thinking brother!
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    So the ultimate goal is to buy the whole cut and then slice and dice it yourself into steaks and vacuum seal them  until you are ready for a cook?

Man, I have a lot to learn about meat.  :)

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    So the ultimate goal is to buy the whole cut and then slice and dice it yourself into steaks and vacuum seal them  until you are ready for a cook? 

Yes. Without a doubt.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I buy prime ribeyes at HEB cut to any thickness I desire for less than 10 bucks a pound on sale. They do this every couple months in Austin.  No need to buy primals and cut my own. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    If I could get briskets at that price I wouldn't buy ground beef.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    At least you have a Costco in your state. We have to make do with Sam's Club.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Damn you people that get prime briskets from Costco.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Lit said:
    Damn you people that get prime briskets from Costco.
    Yeah...I also wish those folks would quit rubbing it in. Makes me sad.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Luvnlife said:
    Great tip...
    New foam and heating element can be found fairly cheap as well for most sealers.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas