Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gumbo Recipes

Options
Post your favorite gumbo recipe here. 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SloppyJoe said:
    Do you like possum? I have a possum gumbo recipe that is killer. However it's quite long and i don't won't to spend the time typing it up if you don't like possum.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited October 2016
    Options

Ingredients:
    3 average size onions
    1 bell pepper
    Green Onions
    Chicken I use one package of chicken thighs
    Smoke Sausage / Andouille I use one package 
    All purpose flour for the roux
    Vegetable oil
    Salt Pepper
    Cajun Seasoning (Tony Chachere's, etc…)
    Water

I start with the roux; I use a cast iron skillet. I use a wooden spoon with a straight bottom edge, or you can use a metal spatula (Plastic will melt). I use the spoon for the flour measurement, 3 spoons of flour into the pan (about 4 table spoons). Pour vegetable oil in the pan till it’s a slurry. A little on the oil side will not hurt. 
    Turn the fire high to get started then when you see it getting hot turn the fire down to medium / medium high. Have patience, again like slide fitting! It should take a while to cook. You need to stir slow but continuously, use the flat edge of the spoon to scrape the bottom of the pan. Don’t be afraid to let it sit for a second or two. 
    You will start to see it getting brown. Pull it off fire. It will continue to cook till the pan cools a little.

Don’t splash as it will burn you bad, I have scars!!!

Once the roux is finished I place a little vegetable oil in the bottom of my gumbo pot. I use both, a big stock pot and a cast iron pot depending on how big I am making it. Also you can add more chicken if you like. 
    Once the oil is hot I brown the chicken. Once the chicken is brown I take it out the pot. I add the onions (They need to be diced). I start sweating the onions, the onions will start to turn color from the bottom of the pot. I use a little water to deglaze the bottom of the pot. Pour a little water then stir the onions picking up the color and flavor from the pot. I do this a couple of times. Not much water at all just wet the bottom of the pot. 
    Once the water is cooked down I add the chicken and bell peppers (diced). I then start adding water. I don’t have a measurement you will have to use your judgment for your pot. I start bringing this to a boil then start adding the roux. Don’t add it all at once, go slow. Stir it in and you will watch it thicken up. Continue to add more till it reaches the consistency you like. I like my gumbo on the thicker side, I don’t like colored water. This is your taste here. 
    I bring it to a boil then turn down the heat and simmer for about 1 ½ hours. You need to stir it occasionally while simmering; you can judge the chicken for yourself. The chicken should be getting tender and breaking apart. I then add my smoked sausage and green onions (Diced). I simmer for about another 30 minutes. During the simmering time I add my seasoning (Salt, Pepper, and Cajun Seasoning) to taste. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    SGH said:

Do you like possum?
    Who would KNOW that? :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    The only possum I care for.Image result for george possum images
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, there is nothing quite like possum gumbo except maybe possum stew with sweet potatoes. 
    On that note, I'm making a shrimp, crab and oyster gumbo either tonight or tomorrow morning. I will gladly post it if you like seafood. However I have found that if someone doesn't like possum they usually shy away from seafood as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    SGH said:
    SloppyJoe said:
    Do you like possum? I have a possum gumbo recipe that is killer. However it's quite long and i don't won't to spend the time typing it up if you don't like possum.  
    Thanks Scottie,  but I think I'll pass on the possum.  I prefer chicken and sausage.  
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    SGH said:
    Sorry to hear that, there is nothing quite like possum gumbo except maybe possum stew with sweet potatoes. 
    On that note, I'm making a shrimp, crab and oyster gumbo either tonight or tomorrow morning. I will gladly post it if you like seafood. However I have found that if someone doesn't like possum they usually shy away from seafood as well. 
    Actually, I was just joking. I have never tried possum. And hey, if it was good enough for Granny Clampett, I am sure it is good enough for me. But I do like me some George Jones. I was serious about that.