Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Solar Lighting-OT Slightly

Options
Do any of you use a solar powered flood light of some kind?  With the evenings getting dark and about to get darker with day light savings time coming to an end, my area for cooking has no lights and I am not good at nor do I want to spend the expense of wiring in power for a flood light. I have been poking around Home Depot and lowes, but have not come across anything that I think would work. 

Any ideas would be appreciated. 
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Most of the  solar ones do not put out much light. What about running a cord when you cook? If your outlets do not have a gfi you can get one that plugs in to the outlet, then you plug the cord in to it. Would not want the lamp or cord getting rained on. And I assume it will eventually rain again in California.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    How much lighting do you need?  A few LEDs are really bright in the dark.
    Are you locked in on solar? What about a cheap 12V transformer and you can run low voltage line anywhere by yourself to a few or a lot of LED lights. In PA at least, there are next to no electrical code for running LV wire - I could walk you through it all.

If you want to stay away from a 12V transformer, you can do a solar charger to a 6V Battery and run the LEDs off that.

let me know your thoughts. If you tell me the max amount of light and for how much area, and how long they would be on, I would give you my wholly unqualified opinion and advise.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    20x20 area. Maybe even a little smaller. Really looking for easy and it does need to be weather resistant as there is no protection from the brutal conditions here in Northern California.  ;)

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    @Sea2Ski. Do you just tie the transformer into an external outlet?  I struggle with a junction box that can handle the existing outlet as well as run conduit out the bottom.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A cheap solution- light wherever you are looking.  Chicks dig em too. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tikigriller
    Options
    I actually thought about that!! 

Livermore, California
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Prior to my getting a table, I used low voltage lighting and a bird feeder post to make this. Worked great.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you have a power outlet near your eggdom, these patio lights have worked great for me. $40 on sale at Costco when I bought them a year or two ago. Strung them between 3 trees, and powered with an outdoor extension cord. I plugged the cord in to an outdoor timer with a remote, so they are easy to switch on and off. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Those are cool but I don't have a way to hang them. 

Livermore, California
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @Sea2Ski. Do you just tie the transformer into an external outlet?  I struggle with a junction box that can handle the existing outlet as well as run conduit out the bottom.
    Mine is a heavier duty transformer.  I hung it in a utility garage under my sunroom.  I passed 5 wires through one hole and sealed it up really well. From there I ran to switchs that I drilled and installed in stone. (Only 2 switches/lines have been hooked up one more is being installed soon and 2 are "just in case"). From there I ran to lights. I have 42 small lights hooked up and 2 for moonscape lighting. Cost is <10 cents for 4 hours as the most powerful is 3 watts.  According to calculations, if I used 2 watt lights from here on out, I could run an insane amount of LEDs - something like 380 more. 

To the OP, you can do that, or if you do not want it to be really bright for a long time, you can run a $25 6v solar charger to a $10 rechargeable 6v battery. (This is what I did for my chicken coop). Then, run the LEDs from that battery. Depending on the amount of lights hooked up, you could probably run for 3-4 hours if you want it as bright as 2 60w floods.  Much longer if not as bright.  The next day the battery will recharge. But it sounds like you do not have anywhere to hang them.  That might be the trickiest part for you. 
    Large and MiniMax

• GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I'm curious as to how to put together the solar 6v lighting. I could use this in my chicken coupe as well
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @GlennM  I used the wildgame innovations 6V solar charger and their rechargeable battery. $35 ish for both parts. Then I hooked up what I wanted to it, which is an automatic chicken door to the run along with LED indicator lights.  I am also probably going to get another setup like this to run some other LEDs which would cost more in wire to run that the $35 combo.  
    Large and MiniMax

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Stand-alone solar panel/battery/light combos are, in general, junk.  Weak, expensive, batteries die, bluh.

Run a circuit - you can buy UF romex and bury it, or run it on a line.

If you want solar, great, put the panels on your roof and get a net meter.
    Options
    I seriously think I am actually going to go with one of those lights you strap on your head. I might look like a total goof doing it, but it is going to really solve my darkness issue as I already have the lights on the grills and they do not get the job done. Unfortunately with my schedule, I did most of my cooking in the night hours, so light is a challenge and with the head thing, shadows will not be an issue any more either. 

Add one one of these to the mix and I will be absolutely set.........

Livermore, California
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It should be dark when you wear it, so not many will see how ridiculous you look.  In theory.
    Options
    It should be dark when you wear it, so not many will see how ridiculous you look.  In theory.
    If I ever did wear one of those, my wife would find every Chance to snap pictures for every social media page she belongs to. 

I drink beer to fast to have time to get it into the hat anyways. 

Livermore, California
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cue @RRP for his hardhat...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Here you go- I have seen these installed in a Parking Lot in Greensville NC
    http://cdn.hubbelloutdoor.com/content/products/literature/literature_files/solar_lighting_flyer_hol0030.pdf

I have sold similar systems for use where people wanted some flood lighting but the power source was so far away the cost of the wire was prohibitive.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bizlander-10W108LED-Solar-Powered-Flood-Light-for-Home-Sign-Camping-Landscape-/182008680290?hash=item2a60900f62:g:SikAAOSwKtlWphrh

put one of these up behind the camp and it goes all night on a days charge. dusk to dawn but there is a switch to manually shut off as well. It lasted 2 years, not bad for a little over $100. It was the winter that killed it here as well.

The other option is to buy a small panel/charge controller/battery/ and 12V bulbs for whatever fixture you like, then you can go as simple or as fancy as you want.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You could always go old school:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've got a small 12volt transformer for outdoor lighting that I've got attached to an outlet by the back door.  I do not have the timer running because I only want it lit when I am out there.  I can easily throw the switch and light the night with some LED's.  My egg is still in the nest, but I've put some 4x4 posts on the deck and hung two LED flood lights on them to light the egg space.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Harbor Freight has a pretty decent solar powered, motion detection, light.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use a propane lantern. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Our problem with solar was batteries having a low charge cycle life and lasting only a year or so before having to be replaced. Really annoying. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• tikigriller
    Options
    $12. We shall see tonight if it works!!!!!!

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    And the headlight thing works great!!!!

Livermore, California