Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Mom Van

Options
My wife recently got hit at an intersection. Her car was subsequently a total loss. After dealing with the insurance for a couple of weeks, we were finally in a position to get a new vehicle. SWMBO went searching this weekend for something she liked. We looked at newer models of her previous car (Hyundai Sonata) and several other comparable models from different makes. 
Out of nowhere yesterday afternoon I got a call. "How about a van?" Never in a million years would I think that I would own a van at 32 years of age. Never. 

Meet Blanche, our new Kia Sedona. 

Pros:
- a ton of room for our growing crowd of miniature human leeches. 
- drives surprisingly well. 
- warranty on it is awesome. 
- has room to travel with the BGE of needed. 

Cons:
- it's a van. 
- gas mileage is well below the last car

Lessons Learned:
- if the wife wants a van, your getting a van. 
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited October 2016
    Options
    as long as she is happy with it! screw anyone else

there are people who will make fun of whatever you drive. 

had a friend tell me about ten years ago that I needed to buy a newer/better car, because "your friends judge you based on the kind of car you drive". 

i said, "actually, the way i look at it, my car weeds out the kind of *assh*les who judge you based on the kind of car I drive".

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited October 2016
    Options
    We had 2 mini-vans and then my wife wanted a Yukon once the kids got older. I honestly miss the van! The Yukon is much bigger, heavier vehicle but has less passenger and cargo space. We didn't get the XL and the space behind the 3rd row is a joke.  

She keeps telling me if I miss it so much I can sell my Jeep and get a minivan :).

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    We have all been mini-van man when chillin are involved. We owned the very first Nissan Quest. (Model year not the first off assembly) Suck it up Nancy....it only hurlers for a few years.....and they will be gone....and the convertible (jeep in my case) will follow.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I don't care what car or truck anyone drives....as long as they aren't clogging up the passing lane (the left ones, in case you are an idiot).  If there was ever a subject worthy of a PSA campaign....
    They should pilot this PSA program in Florida where, in my experience, it is the worst!  I guess you could first check if the drivers have their shoes (or crocs) on the correct feet.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I don't care what car or truck anyone drives....as long as they aren't clogging up the passing lane (the left ones, in case you are an idiot).  If there was ever a subject worthy of a PSA campaign....
    They should pilot this PSA program in Florida where, in my experience, it is the worst!  I guess you could first check if the drivers have their shoes (or crocs) on the correct feet.
    Or the obligatory socks under the crocs...
    Options
    as long as she is happy with it! screw anyone else

there are people who will make fun of whatever you drive. 

had a friend tell me about ten years ago that I needed to buy a newer/better car, because "your friends judge you based on the kind of car you drive". 

i said, "actually, the way i look at it, my car weeds out the kind of *assh*les who judge you based on the kind of car I drive".

This. 

We bought a nearly new (used only for a car show) minivan in 2001.  It now has over 180,000 miles on it.  My mother-in-law drives it 4 months a year when she is down from Cape Cod.  It was one of the 3 vehicles soccer teams used nearly every weekend for team transportation all over Texas.  It's been to Florida numerous times and weathered the summer heat of Big Bend.  It has been on over a dozen camping trips.  Two teenagers learned to drive in it. 

It has been in 2 minor wrecks so it has some dents that we chose not to repair.  It doesn't have the Toyota emblem on the hood any more. 

I drove it to a medical meeting in Dallas 3 weeks ago and everybody made good-natured fun of it - but when it was time to go to dinner, all those surgeons were happy to ride in it instead of paying for a cab or Uber. 

My daughter currently has it at College while her car is in the shop.

So, embrace the minivan.  And in order to prolong it's life and put off your dread of it getting older - get it fully detailed once a year.  It will cost you $150-$250 depending on exactly what you get done and where you take it, but it's like getting a new car once a year. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,362
    Options
    @nolaegghead ^^^this. When we lived in Houston, this drove me crazy. 

We had 2 mini-vans and then my wife wanted a Yukon once the kids got older. I honestly miss the van! The Yukon is much bigger, heavier vehicle but has less passenger and cargo space. We didn't get the XL and the space behind the 3rd row is a joke.  

She keeps telling me if I miss it so much I can sell my Jeep and get a minivan :).
    @SmokeyPitt I actually like the way the van drives and has a ton of room. We got a pretty awesome deal on this one, so I can't complain. 

We have all been mini-van man when chillin are involved. We owned the very first Nissan Quest. (Model year not the first off assembly) Suck it up Nancy....it only hurlers for a few years.....and they will be gone....and the convertible (jeep in my case) will follow.
    @northGAcockMy wife is good for totaling out a vehicle every7 years or so. Luckily, none have ever been her fault. So by the time this one inevitably gets wrecked, we will be down two of the kids with one left. The funny thing is that my wife is having a harder time coming to grips with driving a van. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I learned to drive in an extended 1973 Ford Econoline that we bought in Germany. 

One thing I learned, vicariously, is a water bed is terrible for handling (at least while the van is moving) and especially braking.
    Options
    no crocs here but i like to go 80 in the fast lane and watch the faster drivers merge int the 45 mph middle lane with the cell phone texters, then switch to the faster slow lane, cross back over where i cut them off in the fast lane again =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Or the obligatory socks under the crocs...
    If they put socks on under the crocs, how will the shame leak out?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Hi.  My name is Fred.  I drive a van.  I used to drive a pick-up and I was happy.  Then we had a baby (I already had a daughter with the first Mrs. Flintstone) and Wilma wanted a van.  Fine.  You can have a van.  I ended up driving a more family friendly Malibu after my truck died.  Fast forward.  Wilma drives our daughter to a private school and puts on many more miles than me.  Malibus get better mileage than vans.  So I drive a van & Wilma drives the Malibu.  (insert whipping noise here)
    Flint, Michigan
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    no crocs here but i like to go 80 in the fast lane and watch the faster drivers merge int the 45 mph middle lane with the cell phone texters, then switch to the faster slow lane, cross back over where i cut them off in the fast lane again =)
    Oh, so you're one of those people that justifies squatting in the passing lane because you're above the speed limit....  ;)
    Options
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be that 90% of as*holes driving a Honda Prius are the ones always blocking the FAST Lanes!! Or slowing down all of the other lanes as well!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Those durn Honda Priuses!!!
    Options
    Hi.  My name is Fred.  I drive a van.  I used to drive a pick-up and I was happy.  Then we had a baby (I already had a daughter with the first Mrs. Flintstone) and Wilma wanted a van.  Fine.  You can have a van.  I ended up driving a more family friendly Malibu after my truck died.  Fast forward.  Wilma drives our daughter to a private school and puts on many more miles than me.  Malibus get better mileage than vans.  So I drive a van & Wilma drives the Malibu.  (insert whipping noise here)
    You're not whipped Fred, Wilma told me you weren't. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems to be that 90% of as*holes driving a Honda Prius are the ones always blocking the FAST Lanes!! Or slowing down all of the other lanes as well!
    If your car is travelling at it's top speed then it deserves to be in the fast lane.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hotch said:
    If your car is travelling at it's top speed then it deserves to be in the fast lane.
    The term "fast lane" is not relative to how fast your car goes. But I believe that you are joking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Oh, so you're one of those people that justifies squatting in the passing lane because you're above the speed limit....  ;)
    Road Hog by darcat1530

would you rather have me slow down to 45 in front of you in the fast lane to merge back into the middle lane of idiots =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Road Hog by darcat1530

would you rather have me slow down to 45 in front of you in the fast lane to merge back into the middle lane of idiots =)
    Mr Magoo.....classic....just classic. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Hotch said:
    The term "fast lane" is not relative to how fast your car goes. But I believe that you are joking.

I was definitely joking. 

San Antonio, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have only had mini vans for work and they are ok, but I prefer my crew cab F150.  My wife drives a KIA Sorento that I can't stand, but is bigger then her last car and I have to drive it once a week, because she likes taking my F150 when she has to go the Ford plant for work every week.  My nice and her husband got a Honda Odyssey which I have been told is supposed to be the best mini van out there.  Don't care and I will never own one, but if the wife wants one and would be happy with it, I would have to change my ways.  It's not going to happen, because she doesn't care for them either.  They are good for what they are, but not cool by any means.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Image result for 1980s custom vans
    Options
    Hotch said:

Prius has two speeds.  23 MPH on city streets, 53 MPH on the highway.  And they only drive in the left lane. 

Minivans are awesome.  We beat the heck out of ours and it just keeps asking for more :) 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think it would be better if we could refer to it as the "passing lane".  As in...if you ain't passing somebody then get the !@#$% over to the right. 

nolaegghead said:
    That is cool by every means. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options

nolaegghead said:
    That is cool by every means. 
    yeeeeeaaaaahhhh no. no it isn't.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    You do what you have to do. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There is only one cool van that I know of.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h96lrdR3EmI

Maybe two.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    CTMike said:no
    You're not whipped Fred, Wilma told me you weren't. 
    I'm certainly glad to hear that!  Hey, wait a minute...
    Flint, Michigan