Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you have an Indian market nearby...

Options
2»

Comments

• fljoemon
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    @Little Steven haha, I got tired of measuring myriad of spices by the teaspoon, so much easier with a one tenth gram precision scale  ;)

Gary - the curry looks great! Where did you get the fresh curry leaves?
    @SkySaw .. the Indian Grocers keep the curry leaves by the checkout counter and will offer them for free if you ask them .. atleast here in FL. My in-laws live nearby and they have this humongous curry plant .. so free curry leaves for me.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    @SkySaw Thanks! as @fljoemon said most Indian grocers carry it. Got mine from the one at NE corner of Dufferin/Centre (north of Steeles), not free but very cheap, usually end up with lots of leftover for drying.

canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Speaking of Indian grocers and heat, look for black mustard seed. Many Indian dishes start w. the instruction, "toast mustard seed," similar to "saute´onion" in Western cooking. I read that the darker the mustard seed, the hotter it is. Seeing a bag of black mustard at the local place, and having read that ground mustard seed activated by water is far more pungent that that activated by vinegar, I gave it a try.

Pounded a Tbl in a mortar, add about an equal amount of water, and waited 10 min. It was wasabi hot. Completely opened the sinuses. The little bits lodged in my teeth kept appearing for maybe 45 min.

Within 3 days in the fridge, the heat had faded. So now, beside a pepper grinder, I have a black mustard grinder.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    @Carolina Q ... looks like you visited Patel Brothers. SWAD is their signature brand. Let me know if you need help with any Indian food that can be made on the BGE.

Good thing you got the normal chili powder .. got a little bit kick to it. Next time look for the Kashmir chili powder .. it is less potent and very colorful .. used for tandoori chicken without adding any additional food coloring.

If you like to spice it up .. look for this ...

The Kashmiri is used in butter chicken too (or the toned down version)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    About curry leaves...In San Diego, the Indian groceries get a few curry plants in pots every so often. Call them and ask when they expect to receive them.

I have five of them on my patio. Just move the leaves around a little bit and you get the most pungent, aromatic scent--unbelievable!
    Judy in San Diego
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    About the ghee: it's basically butter without the milk solids. Always use a clean spoon with it. Use when you want a butter flavor cooking at high heat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Little Steven
    Options
    jlsm said:
    About the ghee: it's basically butter without the milk solids. Always use a clean spoon with it. Use when you want a butter flavor cooking at high heat. 

Ghee is boiled for quite some time after the solids are removed so the nutty flavour develops. It  is quite different than clarified butter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    jlsm said:

Ghee is boiled for quite some time after the solids are removed so the nutty flavour develops. It  is quite different than clarified butter.
    I think I got the low budget ghee. There's a bunch of solid butter-looking stuff floating around in the jar I got. Never bought, made or even seen ghee before so who knows what I have. All I know is it says "ghee" on the label.                                                                                    

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options
    You will know the difference when you taste it. Some ghee is vegetable based.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    How? I have one jar. Nothing to compare it with. Then again, I don't really care all that much. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Ghee is great stuff! Really good for searing. Doesn't brown like butter. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Little Steven
    Options
    How? I have one jar. Nothing to compare it with. Then again, I don't really care all that much. =)

If it's vegetable ghee it will say it on the label. The other comparison would be butter. Damn I wish I could use emoticons.

Steve 

Caledon, ON