Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

If you have an Indian market nearby...

Options
Check 'em out. Especially seasonings! I went to one yesterday and they have great prices on cumin, peppercorns, sesame seeds, mustard seed, turmeric, fenugreek, chili powder... lots of stuff, quite a variety and dirt cheap! I bought a 14 oz pouch of chili powder for $3.99. They had a hot version too, but I passed. Good thing as this stuff is pretty potent! It ain't your father's ancho, that's for sure. And no added salt, garlic, onion, etc. Just chili powder.

Picked up a few other things too, including an 8 oz jar of ghee for $5. Don't know if that's a good price or not. Or what I'll do with it. :) They have tons of other stuff I've never even heard of.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it. Good stuff, good prices.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    have one a tenth of a mile away.  but i begots no idea what to do with the stuff!
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    have one a tenth of a mile away.  but i begots no idea what to do with the stuff!
    I hope @Little Steven doesn't see that!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Asian markets in general are great.  I go to the Korean market every 2-3 weeks, great produce, huge meat and seafood, high quality and cheap spices and beans/legumes.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    I hope @Little Steven doesn't see that!
    Why? I seriously have no clue re indian food other than that i like it. 

Would be great to have a primer
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yup, amazing to see whole aisles with nothing but bulk spices. One near me has as many different kinds of beans/lentils as anyplace else, and mostly really inexpensive.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Do me a favour Michael. Open that bag up and take a good whiff. Ain't yo Mama's chili powder.It's chilli powder and it is NOT intended for chili!!!!!!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Try the red carrots, Indian zucchini and the bhindi(okra). All the squashes and melons are great too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Do me a favour Michael. Open that bag up and take a good whiff. Ain't yo Mama's chili powder.It's chilli powder and it is NOT intended for chili!!!!!!
    I know less about Indian food than stike. To the best of my knowledge, I've never eaten any! Chili vs chilli? What IS it intended for?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's used in most Indian recipes. Chili powder as we know it is mostly paprika with some other spices in it and a bit of chili heat. Chilli powder is the powder made (I think) from Indian long red peppers which are a level or two above serranos. The hot version you avoided is at least Thai bird chili and maybe into the realm of naga jolokia. point is there ain't no paprika in it. Just smell it hahahaha

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options

Here's a recipe for chili powder:

2 tablespoons paprika.2 teaspoons oregano.1 14 teaspoons cumin.1 14 teaspoons garlic powder.1 14 teaspoons cayenne pepper.34 teaspoon onion powder.Think about the cayenne as black pepper.Damn, I should have told you to go ahead and us it in any chili recipe

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Well, I have a LOT of it! Are you suggesting I make chili powder substituting the Indian stuff for cayenne? It's considerably hotter than cayenne. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Little Steven
    Options

I'm not suggesting anything. Just saying that they aren't the same thing. As an example I ground up some Indian dried chilis in the blendtec  last winter and we had to evacuate the house for half a day. I can take more heat than most. If you used the two tablespoonfuls of that like most recipes call for you would probably be hospitalized. I have a jar that I filled from a bag like that for ten years. Still half full.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    FWIW, the first ingredient in every chili powder I have in the cabinet is Ancho chile, not Paprika.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Oh well. Live and learn. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    So your place was like the episode of Man Vs. Food where the Indian Chef wore a true ventilated mask while preparing hot dish 12 of 14...they wouldn't serve him the top hot dishes.....and he suffered.....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Gunnar said:
    So your place was like the episode of Man Vs. Food where the Indian Chef wore a true ventilated mask while preparing hot dish 12 of 14...they wouldn't serve him the top hot dishes.....and he suffered.....

The dogs were yelping. All the windows open in the depth of a Canadian winter and our eyes were burning after five hours out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Norma must've LOVED that!! =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Carolina Q  to put it in perspective, I made 3 kg of beef curry few days ago, added very little water, most of the gravy came from carmelised onion and beef itself. The large CI dutch oven of end product needed just 6g of Indian chili powder and 3 dried chili (unbroken), had plenty of heat for most folks!  You can carry the chili for use as pepper spray in a pinch  =)
    canuckland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    nlovold said:
    FWIW, the first ingredient in every chili powder I have in the cabinet is Ancho chile, not Paprika.

I'm not going to get into this discussion

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Chili-Powder.htm

In any case ancho powder is made from poblanos which are only slightly higher on the scolville scale than green bell peppers. I was warning a guy about using Indian red chilli powder in place of McCormicks powder.

Cali or Canugghead help me here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Gunnar said:

The dogs were yelping. All the windows open in the depth of a Canadian winter and our eyes were burning after five hours out.
    Yep, I believe that's the episode I saw......wow....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    @Carolina Q  to put it in perspective, I made 3 kg of beef curry few days ago, added very little water, most of the gravy came from carmelised onion and beef itself. The large CI dutch oven of end product needed just 6g of Indian chili powder and 3 dried chili (unbroken), had plenty of heat for most folks!  You can carry the chili for use as pepper spray in a pinch  =)

Can we get those stinking Canadian measurements in English please

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Norma must've LOVED that!! =)

OOOOHH YA. I was in shiznet for a month

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,534
    Options
    @Little Steven haha, I got tired of measuring myriad of spices by the teaspoon, so much easier with a one tenth gram precision scale  ;)

canuckland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Great pic @Canugghead !
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead - if you have any beef curry left, I'll be right over. Thats a big pot of goodness right there :)

Yep, Indian/pakistani grocers have spices for much cheaper than regular grocery stores. We usually buy the whole spices and grind about a week's worth of cumin, coriander, etc at at time. Ground spices go stale after some time, so we tend not to buy large quantities of ground stuff. 

For anyone interested in Indian cooking, this is a great book, which I have recommended before. A very good mix of different recipes from the sub-continent. 

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Madhur-Jaffrey-Delectable-Bangladesh/dp/0307268241/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1473990382&sr=8-6&keywords=madhur+jaffrey

And we usually use 1 teaspoon or so of the chilli powder (the hotter one I think) when we cook recipes with 6 or so servings. E.g. when i cook chicken curry with about 4-5 lbs of chicken, 1 teaspoon usually does the trick. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    nlovold said:

I'm not going to get into this discussion

http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/glossary/g/Chili-Powder.htm

In any case ancho powder is made from poblanos which are only slightly higher on the scolville scale than green bell peppers. I was warning a guy about using Indian red chilli powder in place of McCormicks powder.

Cali or Canugghead help me here

I think you covered it quite well, my lil Canuckian friend :)

many Indian stores sell a couple of different kinds of chilli powder. Most North Indian recipes (the most well known to folks this side of the Atlantic) call for chilli powder made from cayenne ( I think). Some different types of red peppers are often  used in South Indian recipes, and those can be pretty damn HOT!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    For a more comfortable chili level, I like the whole Kashmiri dried red chilis. You can break one up to leave in, and take out the whole ones after cooking is done, so there's a little heat and a great flavor from them. From the Indian store.
    Judy in San Diego
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    @Little Steven haha, I got tired of measuring myriad of spices by the teaspoon, so much easier with a one tenth gram precision scale  ;)

Gary - the curry looks great! Where did you get the fresh curry leaves?
  • fljoemon
    Options
    @Carolina Q ... looks like you visited Patel Brothers. SWAD is their signature brand. Let me know if you need help with any Indian food that can be made on the BGE.

Good thing you got the normal chili powder .. got a little bit kick to it. Next time look for the Kashmir chili powder .. it is less potent and very colorful .. used for tandoori chicken without adding any additional food coloring.

If you like to spice it up .. look for this ...

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if its ground up birdseye pepper, i use it alot but i buy it whole, and i do use it in chili and stir frys both fresh and dried =)  if its ghost pepper and thats probably the hot one you didnt buy, i still remember the first time biting into one at a friends house, his mom made rice that would take you down.  i burned some birdseye in the wok indoors once and couldnt take a deep breath for days, probably similar to stevens blender incident.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it