Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many racks can you cook at once on L-BGE? Adjustable rig questions.

Options
horoegg
horoegg Posts: 47
I am planning on cooking up some baby back ribs for my daughter's birthday party at our house this coming weekend and we have quite a few people coming.  I have the adjustable rig with the 13x17 Oval grid and was thinking about buying the rig extender and another 13x17 oval today.  With the rig extender can I fit 3 levels of ribs along with the oval stone and foil ring in place?  How many racks can I realistically pull off with this setup?  I was hoping to do at least 9 without negatively effecting cook time.  I've only ever done 3 racks at once, will loading up the egg with triple that change cook time?  Can you still use the 18'' round standard grill grate on top of the adjustable rig and put the grid extender on top of that?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can fit 2 racks of BB ribs on each level with the oval grids of an AR R&B combo (Ribs and Brisket setup) as shown in the video above. If you want to get 3 levels of ribs on and Adjustable rig you will need the spider and small pizza stone down low and the extender for the top level (the extender is shown shown in the video as well). i have a pic of that setup on here somewhere. Either way- it will not affect your cooking times.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    if you cook them vertical you can fit more, the record on the forum is about 24 racks done on one level

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd say take what you already have, get some of the vertical rib racks similar to fishlessman's picture, and you should be able to do 9 racks pretty easily. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    I've had 6 on my rig and that was using the lower level for the stone,  2 flat in the middle, 4 vertical on top. You don't have enough height to stack the middle rack vertically. With some trimming I don't see why you couldn't fit 9 on their. Mine weren't crowded on the lbge 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• horoegg
    Options
    Thanks everyone.  I bought one of those vertical rib racks and ordered the rig extender.  Hoping that with the rig extender on top I can fit a vertical rack in the middle and on top and have plenty of space to load up the egg to the max!  I will post pictures of the setup once it all come in and report back on how it all goes.  Can't wait for the weekend, I'm getting hungry thinking about it!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Six racks of ribs, one level.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Engine6
    Options
    You can fit 2 racks of BB ribs on each level with the oval grids of an AR R&B combo (Ribs and Brisket setup) as shown in the video above. If you want to get 3 levels of ribs on and Adjustable rig you will need the spider and small pizza stone down low and the extender for the top level (the extender is shown shown in the video as well). i have a pic of that setup on here somewhere. Either way- it will not affect your cooking times.

Do you have the pictures of the setup for 3 levels of ribs? Thx
  • Engine6
    Options

if you cook them vertical you can fit more, the record on the forum is about 24 racks done on one level

horoegg said:
    Thanks everyone.  I bought one of those vertical rib racks and ordered the rig extender.  Hoping that with the rig extender on top I can fit a vertical rack in the middle and on top and have plenty of space to load up the egg to the max!  I will post pictures of the setup once it all come in and report back on how it all goes.  Can't wait for the weekend, I'm getting hungry thinking about it!
    Which vertical rib racks did you buy? Thx 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    20 racks. No AR. No nuthin'. Direct cook.   

More info here...
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/20-racks-at-one-time

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut