Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prosciutto Go Bad?

Options
Sorry to post another is it safe or not safe thread....

The prosciutto was obviously cured and not so much worried about spoilage since is cured but it's been in cryovac the last month and half in the beer fridge. I've meant to get one of the slicers I picked up running weeks ago but been busy with house projects. Finally close to have a functioning slicer but just double checking that the prosciutto (from Restaurant Depot) wouldn't be super funky. My guess would be that it's good for years in my fridge but have to ask the dumb question. I apologize already @Darby_Crenshaw
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If it ain't green put the hammer down. If it is green, slice off the green first. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    If it ain't green put the hammer down. If it is green, slice off the green first. 
    @Jstroke My wife already wanted to throw it. I said no way. At least I have proof that it's just fine. I was 99% sure it was good. Thanks buddy!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It may get some mold on the outside that needs to be cut off.  As long as it tastes good you should be fine.  I have had some that we bought in December last year.  Sat on the counter for 6 months, cut it up and vacuum packed it (stored in fridge) and we routinely eat it.   I'm still alive.
    Options
    At your service. If she throws a fit send it to me. I will pay shipping
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited September 2016
    Options
    just remind your wife that it is already a couple years old, and it does not need to even be refrigerated. a month in a fridge has zero negative effect. 

the package is so that it doesn't get handled or dusty or dirty or pick up smells during transit.  it has nothing to do with food safety.

in fact, if you took it out of the package and hung it in your living room for another couple years, it would be better off really. except for the ONLY issue might be that it would dry out too much.  or age past the point where you get a different prosciutto than you had hoped for.

it will still be safe and edible about a hundred years after you die.  just the QUALITY may suffer. frankly, it's edible indefinitely.  like, if you find a roman prosciutto under the Pantheon, hanging in the basement, it would be safe to eat

but the quality might be off (oxidized, too dry, too 'aged')

prosciutto existed a couple thousand years before your fridge, and was invented because they had no fridges.

EDIT: fwiw, this goes for your home made bacon too. and pancetta, etc.  ...heck, I have a couple chunks of guanciale in the fridge that are probably 18 months old.

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    green mold good, maggots not so good =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The only way to reduce the life span really is to slice it up.  I did that because it was convenient to pull out the meat slicer and do it all at once.  To mitigate the effects of exposing all that surface area, I vacuum sealed in small batches. 

I was curious to see how long that would last and so far it's been a few months and it tastes the same as the day I cut it, and no mold.  There's little O2 in the packages...that must help.
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It may get some mold on the outside that needs to be cut off. 

Jstroke said:
     If it is green, slice off the green first. 

you should actually just wash the mold off.  no need to cut it and expose the internal flesh.  it often gets mold on it anyway, during production (like a true country ham).  trimming the mold off would create a different problem.

some producers wash with white whine or vinegar...  water is fine really, but that introduces surface water too (encouraging mold after you just washed off the mold).

brush, water, pat dry.  good to go.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    It may get some mold on the outside that needs to be cut off. 

Jstroke said:
     If it is green, slice off the green first. 

you should actually just wash the mold off.  no need to cut it and expose the internal flesh.  it often gets mold on it anyway, during production (like a true country ham).  trimming the mold off would create a different problem.

some producers wash with white whine or vinegar...  water is fine really, but that introduces surface water too (encouraging mold after you just washed off the mold).

brush, water, pat dry.  good to go.

salted vinegar seems to stop the mold growth, just a light wipe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    After I unwrapped and trimmed the leg of skin and yellow fat, I did a vinegar wash.  Seems to have worked.
    Options
    It may get some mold on the outside that needs to be cut off.  As long as it tastes good you should be fine.  I have had some that we bought in December last year.  Sat on the counter for 6 months, cut it up and vacuum packed it (stored in fridge) and we routinely eat it.   I'm still alive.
    Thanks @nolaegghead So after you sliced it you vacuum sealed the slices and stored in the fridge? Any benefit of storing in the freezer?

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    At your service. If she throws a fit send it to me. I will pay shipping
    Haha @Jstroke I wasn't going to let her throw $30+ of meat. She didn't believe me it was still good. Now I can prove that others agree with me to some of my questionable decisions in life! =)

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    just remind your wife that it is already a couple years old, and it does not need to even be refrigerated. a month in a fridge has zero negative effect. 

the package is so that it doesn't get handled or dusty or dirty or pick up smells during transit.  it has nothing to do with food safety.

in fact, if you took it out of the package and hung it in your living room for another couple years, it would be better off really. except for the ONLY issue might be that it would dry out too much.  or age past the point where you get a different prosciutto than you had hoped for.

it will still be safe and edible about a hundred years after you die.  just the QUALITY may suffer. frankly, it's edible indefinitely.  like, if you find a roman prosciutto under the Pantheon, hanging in the basement, it would be safe to eat

but the quality might be off (oxidized, too dry, too 'aged')

prosciutto existed a couple thousand years before your fridge, and was invented because they had no fridges.

EDIT: fwiw, this goes for your home made bacon too. and pancetta, etc.  ...heck, I have a couple chunks of guanciale in the fridge that are probably 18 months old.

Thanks @Darby_Crenshaw We were in Spain a few years ago and saw dead animals hanging from ceilings. We ate dead animals hanging from ceilings. She was convinced it was old in the fridge. :o I assumed it would be good for years in the fridge. At least I won't be a eating pounds of prosciutto by myself. Well, maybe that's not so bad after all

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Thanks @nolaegghead So after you sliced it you vacuum sealed the slices and stored in the fridge? Any benefit of storing in the freezer?
    Never tried it after being frozen.  Freeze some and try it.   It would last indefinitely frozen.  And you put a shelf life on it after you slice it.  You're "supposed to" cut off it as needed.
    WeberWho said:
    Never tried it after being frozen.  Freeze some and try it.   It would last indefinitely frozen.  And you put a shelf life on it after you slice it.  You're "supposed to" cut off it as needed.
    Not a good idea to freeze cured meats of any kind.  Maybe bacon or pancetta but anything you plan on eating as is will lose the texture that makes it great. 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• WeberWho
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Not a good idea to freeze cured meats of any kind.  Maybe bacon or pancetta but anything you plan on eating as is will lose the texture that makes it great. 
    @Little Steven Hey thanks for the tip for nixing the freezer

Minnesota