Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

9/11 where were you?

Options
I had gotten underway a couple days before onboard the USS George Washington.  Believe we were intended to head south towards Florida, things changed. Picture below is of the ship on 12 September. That was a great ship with a great crew.  Provided air support for a couple days then headed south again and deployed to the Persian gulf shortly after to launch aircraft on the cowards who want to change our way of life.  Oddly I will never forget and continue to serve till this day but hardly have any memories of that day.  
VA Beach

Comments

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had just got home from work. Was watching news. Newscaster thought they were running a replay of first airplane when second plane hit. I knew what was going on then. I will not forgive or forget. If that sends me to hell it'll just give me a second shot at the moose limbs. I'm still pissed. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • VB_egger
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit that's awesome man!  
    VA Beach
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I was in Shungnak, Alaska working at Red Dog Mine when the planes hit the towers. I ended up stranded in Anchorage due to the airlines shutting down.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• tjosborne
    Options
    I was headed to Tulsa to sell candles for my school that morning. I was too young to realize what was really happening.
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Meeeshigan22
    Options
    Thank you for your service OP.

I was sitting in my cubicle at work and caught the tragedies on the web. What a sad day that was.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I was at work. Our daughter was actually due to be born that day, but she came 3 weeks early. My wife was home with my 2 year old son and new daughter, and she called to tell me about it. 

It made me both sad and angry at once. Senseless tragedy. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BrookieP
    Options
    8th grade, one town over from Arlington, VA. It was a scary day because a few of my classmates had parents who worked in the Pentagon. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • Teedoff
    Options
    I was writing a woman a speeding ticket.
    Decatur, AL
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I was at work. I'll never forget that day......like the world stood still. To this day I'll watch any show about it but still can't do it without tearing up. The 3-4 weeks following were the proudest I've ever been to be American. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Was on the way to work, best radio coverage I could find of what was going on was Howard Stern. When I got to work, the boss was setting up an old B&W TV in the break room so we could watch. None of us could believe what was happening. My wife of 3 months was visiting her parents in Arizona at the time. She ended up getting back a few days later than scheduled on a different airline than her ticket was booked from.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I was driving to a client's site and heard of a plane hitting the World Trade Center. I thought it was a small plane. Eventually got back to the office and was glued to the TV for hours.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I was at work at the same place that I retired from this year. We watched coverage in the conference room.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was driving to school.  Radio didn't know what to make of it.

Sat in class and watched the 2nd plane hit.  After that class was canceled.   Went to Old Chicago and just watched news in disbelief for the rest of the day.

Still doesn't seem real.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Besides the horrible footage that we all saw, the thing that impacted me most was watching the fighter jets patrol the skies of Phoenix while all other planes were grounded.  I think that went on for 2-3 days.  It was clear that things would never go back.  
    Phoenix 
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Waking up for school (college). Turned the news on. Sat. Watched. Late to class. Didn't matter. Students just hovered around tv and watched. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I was at work furiously typing to meet a huge deadline and weeping.
    Flint, Michigan
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I was playing golf at Royal Troon in Scotland, we had an Asian 4 ball ahead of us holding us up while they talked on a cell phone, we caught up to them and they said haven't you heard whats going on, they told us about the attack, the guy on the phone was talking to his wife who was stuck in the underground. We all packed up and headed back to the Hotel. We couldn't get back to the States as all the airlines were grounded. Eventually we were the first Trans Atlantic flight back. We ended up flying into Toronto where we spent a couple of days before they opened up the USA air space.. God Bless the United States of America.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options
    i was at work.....watched about an hour of it at work, became so emotional I took the rest of the day off and went home and watched from there.  i was so angry and upset about it.  

to those of you who have served our country in this thread, I want to say thank you for your service!
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    At work in Atlanta. Sales Meeting. Folks in from all over the country. HR had a TV in their office. Someone came into the conference room and said a plane has hit the World Trade Center. Everyone thought small plane, accident. Moments later the 2nd plane hit and reality set in. 

I saw the first tower fall on the HR TV. The Boss then closed the office and out of towners scrambled for rental cars to drive home all over the country.  A good buddy from Boston parked in the same deck at Logan as one of the hijackers - couldn't get his car back for about three weeks. .
    I got home about 1PM. Wife soon after and young daughter finally got home from school. We were to together and that's all the mattered.

The skies were so so quiet that evening. 

Mother@uckers
    New Albany, Ohio 

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was in a meeting in Pittsburgh and watched the attack on TV, They ended the meeting so we could get out of Pittsburgh. Drove past the the airport on the way home very eerie to not see planes taking off. 
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• NC_Egghead
    Options
    Was at work. Actually at a customers office about 10 minutes away. Will never forget. Was on board one of the first flights out of Charlotte to Portland Maine the very first morning the FAA opened the airspace back up. Lots of people told me I was crazy to fly so soon. I thought of it as the safest time to fly. Will also not forget how empty the planes and airports were. 

To to all of those who have served our nation - Thank You!

God Bless America!
    Charlotte, NC

XL BGE, WSM, Weber Genesis 2, Weber Kettle
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I was working like many other posters in an office building. They closed at noon and sent us home since no one knew what was really happening.  I just moved into my house and had no TV with reception, so I went over to my coworkers house to watch what was going on. Like @blasting said, I clearly remember how quiet the skies were except for fighter jets going by in 2, 3, and 4 man formations, as well as military helicopters of all types. (I am not overly far from the now shutdown Willow Grove Naval Air station).

However, the part that I remember most clearly were all the flags, buntings and red, white and blue ribbons everyone had on and around their houses.  I love our flag, and I loved how everyone showed how patriotic and unified we all were.  It is a shame that many eventually came down....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I was trucking on my way from NC to Calif. Stopped at weigh station in Ok City Ok to get the details. Sad day
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,189
    Options
    I was on top of an elevator surveying it for a renovation at Kindred Hospital in Greensboro. Went to the waiting room to watch.
    Folks are kidding themselves if they don't believe we are at war with radical islam. 
    God bless the families who lost loved ones that day. 

I WILL NEVER FORGET. 

• BikerBob
    Options
    At the Fannin County Sheriff's office. Somebody said, "A plane hit the towers in New York." We all went to the fire station next door to watch on TV. I thought it must have been a small private plane until I saw the TV. We all stayed there for a while, watching with unbelief this could happen in the US.
    I was surrounded by EMS, fire and law enforcement people.
    Cooking on the coast
  • steel_egg
    Options
    I was in the CV ICU at Shadyside Hospital in Pittsburgh. Watched most of it throughout the day in patient rooms. After the plane went down in Shanksville we were on alert and were not allowed to leave until they knew where any survivors would go. Most of my coworkers came in/called to see what they could do to help. Feels like yesterday. 
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    For some reason my mom was home, or maybe she was sent home later - I forget, but I was at home watching TV and it came on. Most channels had it on and it interrupted the normal broadcasts.

I don't remember the fighter jets patrolling, but I was told my later by a friend who was enlisted at that time that my squadron patrolled nonstop for a few days. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First day back at work @ FedEx in Austin TX after a week of travel. My sister was a flight attendant for United on a trip out of NY. My dad was on a flight on the way back to DC. My brother, airline pilot, was a flying a trip. Didn't know where anyone was. The 757 that hit the Pentagon crashed on the side of the building where I worked 6 years before 9/11. Lost friends in the Pentagon and New York. We got an email that he was safe. Found out later he died when he went back into one of the towers to help some other people get out. Later we went to a church service just to hear that we that this was "our fault". Walked out of the service and never went back.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Derek1234
    Options
    sitting in a 9th grade writing class. Never Forget! God Bless the USA
    Large BGE