Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Way OT - refrigeration question

Options
buzd504
buzd504 Posts: 3,824
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
I know we have a few refrigeration experts on here, so maybe y'all can point me in the right direction. 

I have a Danby Silhouette under-counter beverage cooler that's about a year and a half old.  It's lowest setting is 39 degrees, which it used to be able to hit, or at least 40-41.  Now, it won't usually get below 47, and after I have a few (not quite ice-cold) beers, it's at about 50.

It's definitely cooling, but not like it was before.  Most of the web troubleshooting points to things where it isn't cooling at all, which isn't the case here.  (Some have mentioned a new humidity controller but I don't know).  I did try to empty stuff out so air would circulate better, but that didn't seem to help.

One thing - when we lose power the setting resets to about 54, and I have to turn it down again, but I can't see how that might be relevant.

My level of handiness is pretty much limited to screwdrivers and pliers (and the occasional drill and miter saw), so hopefully there is a simple solution?

Thanks for any input.
NOLA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Paging @NPHuskerFL . The resident AC&R eggspert.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to my cooler, but within days - I took mine back to costco.
  • buzd504
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    I had the same thing happen to my cooler, but within days - I took mine back to costco.
    Damn.  Should have bought it at Costco.
    NOLA
  • CtTOPGUN
    Options
     I will assume it is a compressor/refrigerant type system rather than a thermocouple solid state refrigerator. My question will be, "is the compressor running constantly trying to achieve the set temp?"

If that answer is "yes" then you either have a poor flowing condenser or condenser fan innoperative. Or the worst case a lack of freon flow due to refrigerant leak or flow restriction.

If the compressor cycles off at a temp higher than the set temp it can be thermostat related or the same dreaded freon flow issue but this time over cooling part of the evap and leaving the rest of the evap without any cooling. That can trick the tstat sensing bulb or thermister.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Probably the fan
  • buzd504
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     I will assume it is a compressor/refrigerant type system rather than a thermocouple solid state refrigerator. My question will be, "is the compressor running constantly trying to achieve the set temp?"

If that answer is "yes" then you either have a poor flowing condenser or condenser fan innoperative. Or the worst case a lack of freon flow due to refrigerant leak or flow restriction.

If the compressor cycles off at a temp higher than the set temp it can be thermostat related or the same dreaded freon flow issue but this time over cooling part of the evap and leaving the rest of the evap without any cooling. That can trick the tstat sensing bulb or thermister.

Jim
    Thanks.  I have no idea how to fix that, but it's helpful.
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Their website shows a two year warranty.  You mentioned it is only 1.5 years old so I would look i to getting it repaired under warranty.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    Options
    Their website shows a two year warranty.  You mentioned it is only 1.5 years old so I would look i to getting it repaired under warranty.
    My next step was to call them anyway, although I didn't realize they have a two year warranty.

They are sending a repair guy out tomorrow. Woot!!

Thanks, y'all!!  Cheers!
    NOLA
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Hopefully, they take good care of you!  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    It's the flux capacitor. Gotta be the flux capacitor. :get_outta_here:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • buzd504
    edited September 2016
    Options
    BYS1981 said:
    Hopefully, they take good care of you!  
    New one on the way!!

The main problem seemed to be that the door was somehow warped and the gasket wasn't sealing.
    NOLA