Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hatch Chiles Roasted on BGE

Options
Hatch chiles roasted on bge in joetisserie. Green Chile sauce for sour cream and chicken enchiladas. Yum

BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

Comments

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Outstanding!! Did you leave your cast iron grid in place on purpose?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    @Hub.  Yes.  If I needed to use the grates, they were there.  Next time won't need the training wheels.  ;)

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    eggnewtoy said:
    @Hub.  Yes.  If I needed to use the grates, they were there.  Next time won't need the training wheels.  ;)
    I was overthinking it.  I thought maybe you were using it as a partial heat shield or something similar.  :D
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Hub. Hahahahaha.  

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yum!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Nice! :plus_one:
    4-5 bushels to roast in a week or so. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Getting some from Albuquerque next week - can't wait! Those look amazing!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• dogoffo
    dogoffo Posts: 52
    Options
    Looks excellent!  I make the trip out to Hatch every other year and that town smells amazing.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Love us some Hatch chiles. They add intriguing flavor to a lot of dishes. I have never seen them available here locally. Have to depend on the canned version and we buy them by the case from Amazon. Don't you just love that Joetisserie? =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • breadbasket
    Options
    Great, love those chilies.  Great job.  AZ
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Dredger-love Joe for almost everything.  was so happy when I thought about spinning chiles.  Every summer, the stores up here bring in hatch chiles and love them.  Went to college at UNM so I have a special love for them.

• Golfguy77
    Options
    Wow!  Very nice.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    A mexican restaurant in SLC (about 40 minutes away) would roast chiles for you, but last summer I noticed my local "farmer's market" stand was roasting them too, so I'll go there (five minutes away) this year, yay!  
    I'm a chilehead and use a bushel every year (stationed at Kirtland AFB NM five years), that would get kinda tedious on the Egg; glad I have other options nearby.  Like @dogoffo and @eggnewtoy said above, the smell is intoxicating!  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• eggnewtoy
    Options
    @Botch.  it was really ok--got about 2 cups out of did a mix of hot and milds. Roasted them, put them in a covered bowl to sweat, peeled. Chopped, and cooked.  The smell was fanatastic and so were the enchiladas.  Leftovers for dinner tonight.   Hatches are being roasted at the grocery store here this weekend so will get some supplies for the winter.  I went to UNM and loved the food.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/06/new-mexican-food_n_4391381.html

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Green chiles are one of the best things you can add to pork, fish, chicken and beef, either as a sauce, a topping or add to a taco or even to a burger

Plus they are incredibly good for you.  Every late summer we get tons here in az from new mex, although i admitthink they grow here as well, and the stores give them away.  Sort of like all the citrus we get in winter around here.  I will usually roast a batch and freeze to keep on hand for cold winter nights when we need some of that smoked pork green chile stew.  Ridiculous how good it is
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Love the hatch. Adds so much to my white bean chicken chili.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love it!  I will see if Central Market still has them this weekend.  They were roasting them last weekend.  Gotta try this!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275
    Options

Threw a few on my MM last night.  Fresh Market in Coconut Grove has them and they are roasting next weekend.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Those look like candy....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I'll post later, but here's some chilis I roasted this afternoon for enchiladas. I like to cook them caveman style.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Yum.  I am making hatch bbq sauce now.  

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Here is my cook today!

Hell yeah, now we're talkin.
    The garlic raft is a nice touch as well.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    They were giving out samples of green chili apple pie at United yesterday. I guess you can put them in anything. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Everytime i see post about Hatch Green Chile it makes me glad i live in Albuquerque :)   and it smells so good around town till the end of October :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited August 2016
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    They were giving out samples of green chili apple pie at United yesterday. I guess you can put them in anything. 
    Thats an understatement  lol  NM State moto is Red or Green referring to what chile you want on your meal
    Burgers are awesome, love them on my eggs , baked into bread , smothering a steak

if you want any idea  just shoot me a message

Man i miss Market Street in Lubbock all we have here is smiths and albertsons and of course walmart and they all suck
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • miniscus
    miniscus Posts: 27
    Options
    Roasting Hatch chiles almost the most beautiful aroma there is!!!
    Bill
    Ft worth, TX

"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who never asks a question is a fool forever."

-Dr. D. Tartar
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I love me some Hatch Valley Chile. Very nicely done.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • eggnewtoy
    Options
    Hatch green bbq sauce with chiles from the recent spin. Vacuum packed 12 packages for the winter, spinning ribs now and will sauce with the hatch bbq sauce for last 5 minutes of cook.  Yum

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Can't wait for 9/2. I just hope Wegmans does the roasting outside this year.