Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oysters Rockefeller

Options
Noticed the grocery store had eastern shore oysters on sale and I've always wanted to try them on the egg. Once brought them home I got started on the Rockefeller mix which consisted of garlic butter, sauteed chopped spinach, chopped shallots, hot sauce, S&P as well as the bread crumb topping - italian breadcrumbs, olive oil, garlic butter, parm cheese.

I rinsed off each shell and placed the oysters on at 400 degrees until they popped open. I removed the oysters and took off the flat side of each shell while adding the "Rockefeller" mix to the deep side. Put them back on once the temp reached 450 degrees and cooked until golden brown, about 10 minutes. These were awesome! I will definitely try out some other ways to "egg" oysters.

Brandy Station, VA Egghead

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Sounds (and looks!) good, but you need some anise flavor in there - Pernod or Herbsaint (or Absinthe!), or some anise seed.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Party favorite. Nice!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Looks great. On my list.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • ncaito
    ncaito Posts: 30
    Options
    @buzd504 I agree... When I got back home and checked the recipe for Rockefeller I realized I was missing a couple things... Will definitely use that for the next batch.

Brandy Station, VA Egghead

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They look great!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I'm in for a dozen....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I tried oysters. I DO remember that whenever it was, that was when I swore I would never have them again!! Horrible!!

However...

You people keep drooling over them. And then there's my son who was on a business trip last week and called me - from a restaurant in New Orleans no less - RAVING about the oysters he had just finished off!

I suppose it's possible that I have been wrong all these years. It has happened before, once or twice. Maybe it's time to try oysters again. For now though, the sig block stays. :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Carolina_Q - Rockefellers are "dead" as are the Drago recipe versions you see here quite often.  Time to get back on a beaten dead horse  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Beautiful, love it
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Oh man do those look good.   I love oysters.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Nice cook. It's on my list now. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    love oysters, like them the best raw on the half shell with cocktail sauce and horse radish. your rockefellers sound awesome!!!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Here in Norwalk CT is arguably the home of the best oysters available. These oysters from Long Island Sound in the protected waters inside the Norwalk Islands are the source of the finest Bluepoints you can get. We cultivate Chesepeake oysters here as well. And the clams dug after the oyster bed is harvested are wonderful as well. Lobsters were once plentiful, but recent years they are in a decline. Most suspect pesticide spraying intended to curb Lyme disease, but it could be a natural cycle as well. I am lucky to belong to a social club where two oyster boat Captains are also members. Mine come to me straight from their decks within a couple hours! And when their Mom throws a party, we eat shellfish like there is no tomorrow!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @ncaito
    Oysters, truly one of the greatest gifts that the Thunder Gods bestowed upon mankind. And one of my personal favorites as well. The oysters look spectacular my friend. As you are well aware, oysters, along with lobsters, automatically earns:
    Great job my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I always want to make Oysters Rockfeller, but I fail every time...
    ...what happens is I open the oyster, and then I eat it.
    ....and then I open another oyster, and I eat that.  ?

I never seem to have any left to put butter, bread crumbs and cheese on.  :confused:
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bradleya123
    Options
    Damn!!  Excellent!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Been wanting to make this on minimax in mexico after visiting the osteria. At the las conchas estuary.   I dont know the species of oyster they harvest there bu theyve always been awesome raw with hot sauce and cold beer.   

What is the recipe youd use for the rockefeller ingredients?

I always thought it was spinach, bread crumbs and parmesean cheese and some lemon juice 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    CtTOPGUN said:
     Here in Norwalk CT is arguably the home of the best oysters available. These oysters from Long Island Sound in the protected waters inside the Norwalk Islands are the source of the finest Bluepoints you can get. We cultivate Chesepeake oysters here as well. And the clams dug after the oyster bed is harvested are wonderful as well. Lobsters were once plentiful, but recent years they are in a decline. Most suspect pesticide spraying intended to curb Lyme disease, but it could be a natural cycle as well. I am lucky to belong to a social club where two oyster boat Captains are also members. Mine come to me straight from their decks within a couple hours! And when their Mom throws a party, we eat shellfish like there is no tomorrow!

Jim
    I think Island Creek would have something to say about that ;-)
  • CtTOPGUN
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Been wanting to make this on minimax in mexico after visiting the osteria. At the las conchas estuary.   I dont know the species of oyster they harvest there bu theyve always been awesome raw with hot sauce and cold beer.   

What is the recipe youd use for the rockefeller ingredients?

I always thought it was spinach, bread crumbs and parmesean cheese and some lemon juice 

The original recipe did not use spinach. It is a later adaption with an ingrediant on hand in most freezers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbFf13j7ds

I have done them with spinach mixtures or by this "original" recipe with watercress, and most often substituting fresh chopped annise for the Perno that I usually do not have on hand for making the compound butter. That compound butter left in the shell with good crusty bread may be better than the oysters alone!

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

Jim
  • CtTOPGUN
    Options
    Phatchris said:
    CtTOPGUN said:

Jim
    I think Island Creek would have something to say about that ;-)

I know they are highly thought of. It is amazing how they are getting good yield where oysters are not indiginous! Our "farmers" had a great natural habitat to start off with. But they have enhanced yield and quality over the years with farming techniques.

Jim

Jim