Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Way to Empty Bag of Lump

Options
HofstraJet
HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
edited July 2016 in EggHead Forum
The RW discussion prompted me to post this question which I have had for a while:

I empty my lump into plastic storage bins to make it easy to move around and stack. Whenever I empty the bags though, all of the dust in the bags kicks up and makes a bit of a mess. I have tried standing the closed bag in the bin and cutting at the bottom to slowly empty, but same issue. Any ideas on the best way to do this?

Here's the bin:

Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cut one end off the bag and slide it in the bin sideways (on it's side).  Then tilt the bin up gently. 
    Options
    Use a pair of tongs to move the lump from the bag to the bin.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That's not the container I expected.  I vote for tongs. 
    Options
    I use tongs and then place each piece into egg carton sections because that is the special treatment that Rockwood deserves. 

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Open bag, dump charcoal, be a man (or dirty woman-which had a whole other thread potential for Friday) 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    Seriously - make yourself a frame and nail on a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth. When getting near the bottom of the sack dump the rest in there, shake and dump the remaining into your box.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    Options
    I use gravity to help.  Cut hole on bag.  Tilt such that gravity pulls the pieces out of the hole.

In general, pointing the hole towards the ground will result in satisfactory results.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I use gravity to help.  Cut hole on bag.  Tilt such that gravity pulls the pieces out of the hole.

In general, pointing the hole towards the ground will result in satisfactory results.

Options
    I dump until it gets small then I roll up the bag and stuff that in as well
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Jstroke said:
    I dump until it gets small then I roll up the bag and stuff that in as well
    Golf clap.....
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I lay the bag on the egg mate and pull lump into the egg with the ash tool. I dump my fines and dust into various low spots in my yard...dog dig....armadillo hole under the fence or deck ...ect :-)
    More meat please !! :-)
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Ron I love your idea of the screen.  Very easy and effective.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

Isn't that the quack who talks $$$$hit about global cooling, global warmer no, errrr climate change????  What....ever
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    thetrim said:

Isn't that the quack who talks $$$$hit about global cooling, global warmer no, errrr climate change????  What....ever
    That's a scientist 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Don't understand why, if you're cooking outside, you just don't dump it in your egg.  Yes there's dust but you're outside.  My degree is not in lump management but keeping it simple seems simple.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Don't understand why, if you're cooking outside, you just don't dump it in your egg.  Yes there's dust but you're outside.  My degree is not in lump management but keeping it simple seems simple.
    You would think you Kentucky guys would understand coal dust. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Black lung. 
    Not in a coal mine Jason, simple diffusion math.  You going up to Rons shindig?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'm in the just dump it in camp
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I'm in the just dump it in camp
    Smart man.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Black lung. 
    Working on logistics. Our anniversary is in September so we may turn it into a celebratory trip. Last year was brisket camp.  =)
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Black lung. 
    Working on logistics. Our anniversary is in September so we may turn it into a celebratory trip. Last year was brisket camp.  =)
    Hear you brother.  Our anniversary is also in September.  Will spend it at Ron's.  Hope to see you there my friend!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sift through carefully.
    Then inspect each piece under a microscope. 
    Next classify according to size and clarity. 
    Oh my bad. Thought we were talking about blood diamonds. 
    Lump Charcoal?  Pffft....Open bag. Dump into egg. Light fire. Cook. 
    Or I guess you could hook up with Ron and pretend you panning for gold. :rofl:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Use a pair of tongs to move the lump from the bag to the bin.

+1 for thongs.  Wait - you said tongs.  I still vote for thongs.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I like it simple and hate messing with the bag.  I pour into a bucket - it's easy to pour from, and it's waterproof.

Phoenix 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    thetrim said:

That's a scientist 
    A scientist can also be a quack. Of course, not this guy. He is a god (small g of course). If he says global warming is real, then it is real. The debate is over. The science is settled.  Of course, isn't it experts like this that had Al Gore preaching to us that Manhattan was going to be under water by 2015, gasoline was going to be $9 a gallon, etc. Please tell me more, Neil DeGrasse Tyson.