Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First BGE

Options
Hi All,

Purchased my first BGE a week ago.  Decided on a medium.  I'm new to anything charcoal, but this egg and forum has made learning and trying fun.  Here's my set-up:
L, M - Kansas City

Comments

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Welcome and nice setup!!  Enjoy!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Very nice and welcome!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Nice setup! You will have some fun times. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Welcome aboard and nice setup.  This forum will most definitely take care of helping you with cooks and spending your money.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And very perceptive with "First BGE".  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I like it. Tell me more about that table if you don't mind. Looks just like what im.looking for
  • KC_Steve
    KC_Steve Posts: 56
    Options
    It is the "Hindo" cabinet from Ikea.  Galvanized steel.  $70.  My medium plate setter fits just fine on the shelf.  Very happy with it. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10290278/
    L, M - Kansas City
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I see you understand "grasshopper" many eggs makes happy life. The medium was also my first egg and is an awesome cooking machine. Enjoy the crazy train and don't ask "should I buy" because we are professional wallet moths.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    Options
    Nice cabinet. Next time I get drug to ikea I'll have to check it out. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome brother! 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Welcome!  
    (a fellow Medium BGEer)
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    @YukonRon you are so correct. I'm only a free months into this, and we already had a landscape architect start working on an estimate for a new patio. Which will include an outdoor kitchen. Designed around my LBGE. 

Just spent $100 on books, and $70 on a KAB. And way too much on various meats and rubs.

G*d help me (and my poor wife!)

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @YukonRon isn't lying. I started with this:

Now a short year later I'm pouring the slab for the outdoor kitchen:

Have fun. Enjoy the ride. Post lots of cooks. Ask lots of questions. Only talk about lump of Friday while drinking. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • KC_Steve
    KC_Steve Posts: 56
    Options
    Yes, first BGE, first outdoor cooking device that is not fueled by gas or electricity.  Yes, the egg is just the start. So far, it's been the nest, plate setter, charcoal, chips, thermometers, sittin-chicken thingy, etc.  This is almost as bad as my bicycle and motorcycle parts habit!
    L, M - Kansas City
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    LOL, I will also include in aforementioned articles that a home equity loan, an addiction therapist who works pro-bono and exploring local butchers is on the to-do list but I see you understand so without further ado--Welcome
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Abter
    Abter Posts: 125
    Options
    Glad to see another newbie with a Medium.  I got mine in December, and it has been well loved and used since then.  One thing that may help protect you from at least part of the budget-busting tendencies of being an Egg Head; some of the many equipment for Eggs are not available for Mediums.  L and XL appear to be the market some accessory companies seem to target.  It can be frustrating at times, cut it sure helps the budget.

BUY MORE MEAT...NOT EGG accessories.
    Stay Calm and Egg On
    1 lonely medium in Rockville, MD
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Welcome, and I'm sure you can see that much of what you've been "threatened" with has been tongue-in-cheek.  It's true that many people here have multiple Eggs, tons of accessories, etc., but it's also true that many people have been Egging for years and having a ball without most of that.

I have a Medium and a Large, and I LOVE my Medium, and it's the one I use by far the most often.  It's just a perfect size for most of my cooks, doesn't use much charcoal, it's just great.  I love it, and I'm sure you will too!
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Welcome, and I'm sure you can see that much of what you've been "threatened" with has been tongue-in-cheek.  It's true that many people here have multiple Eggs, tons of accessories, etc., but it's also true that many people have been Egging for years and having a ball without most of that.

I have a Medium and a Large, and I LOVE my Medium, and it's the one I use by far the most often.  It's just a perfect size for most of my cooks, doesn't use much charcoal, it's just great.  I love it, and I'm sure you will too!
    Well since you say that the Medium is so good, it must be time for me to buy one.  I've heard the same thing said about the Mini and the MiniMax, I should buy those too.

Wait, didn't you guys say you were wallet moths?

Welcome & enjoy the ride - looking forward to seeing some food pics.
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

welcome! not sure what your deck material is made out of, if it's flammable be careful of little bits of burning ember coming out of the bottom.

@jacksdad funny you mention that.  we had a backyard person over to make plans for us too - doesn't look like a remodel is in the cards, though

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!  I have a medium egg as well that partners with my large.  It looks like you are set to start off, but as others pointed out watch your wallet!  I do recommend you look into getting something that you can raise the grid for direct cooks.  This is good for chicken, salmon, fruits, etc.  I started off using 5/8" bolts to raise the grid, then graduated to the Woo from Ceramic Grill Store.  Also look into a good instant read thermometer.  Have fun and post your results please.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Cooking without a thermometer is like driving without a speedometer. You can do it, but you're just guessing.

I thought I was "pretty good" at the feel the meat thing, but nothing works better than a good instant read digital thermometer.

After that, you'll be needing a cast iron grill (Ka-Ching) and a Kick Ash Basket (Ka-Ching) and an adjustable rig (Ka-ka-ka-Ching) and when you start reading on Friday nights about why the lump you buy sucks the big one and you need to try lump made by forest elves $100 minimum for free shipping (Ka-Ching)

You've been warned

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Hahaha. I was given a LBGE 3 weeks ago. Already planning on taking it to my lake house and replacing with an XL and a mini for steaks and chops. I only cooked on charcoal for years, got gas about 5 years ago and got lazy. The Egg has recharged me. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Cooking without a thermometer is like driving without a speedometer. You can do it, but you're just guessing.

I thought I was "pretty good" at the feel the meat thing, but nothing works better than a good instant read digital thermometer.

After that, you'll be needing a cast iron grill (Ka-Ching) and a Kick Ash Basket (Ka-Ching) and an adjustable rig (Ka-ka-ka-Ching) and when you start reading on Friday nights about why the lump you buy sucks the big one and you need to try lump made by forest elves $100 minimum for free shipping (Ka-Ching)

You've been warned
    See what I mean? Are you bailing the hay I am cutting? This is crazy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

@yukonron --

Hey Ron, I recently drained my Jefferson's Very Old.  Can you recommend something new to try?  (Since he's helping spend money, I might as well jump in here with my own request)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    All that said it's cheaper than owning a boat....except for SciAggie and a few others....
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Cue The Carpenters..........

I've only just begun........to live..............
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I went even smaller, my first egg was a mini.

enjoy it!
    Seattle, WA