Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini max fail

Options
texaswig
texaswig Posts: 2,682
I'm on vacation at a freinds in Corpus Christi. Brought my MM to share the egg love. Yesterday I started a couple of chuck roasts to make pepper Stout beef. I got going and temp set up where I wanted it. Then we needed to run a few errands. So being in no hurry I choked it almost all the way down so there would be no problems. It took about a hour and a half once we got back. The hard wind blowing had got my temp to over 450 and the chucks were toast. Im not sure if it was all the winds fault or the super loose fitting vent door that I've not really been happy with. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    Scott, that is a tough call. The door is loose on them for sure, however, high winds, for me, have been more of the culprit than the loose fitting hatch. Certainly a combination effect will not help it, but I have been able to control the temp, pretty well, with mine. Sorry about the chucks. Hope you have better luck next time.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sucks man but it happens to the best of us.  The draft door on my small is a little sloppy and loose as well.  Did you have the daisy wheel and closed as well?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    Sloppy loose vent door is an easy fix. Just take a small block of wood and using a light weight hammer carefully tap on both tracks to tighten. If you over do it, just take a slotted screwdriver and carefully twist it in the track and it will loosen up.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Like @RRP I chose to modify a bit. I bent part of the vent cover top and bottom to tighten it in the track. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Mine is solid. thats odd.
    Austin, Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder Scott. Just took mine off of the Minimax.
    Cleaned off the original silicone, tightened the center and sealing ends of both the top and bottom slide tracks.
    Then applied silicone full circle around the opening on the backside of the lower vent. Should be air tight now.
    And FYI the original silicone was only applied to the top and bottom of the lower vent after they install the vent. So I was getting a fair amount of leakage around the ends where the screws are.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Have done the same thing with a HD fan blowing on the patio toward the MM. 
    Had no idea that wind would do that much to the output so fast.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    Options
     @SmokeyPitt had I had the daisy vents 3/4 closed. The wind was blowing from the side. I guess I'm gonna get some silicone, a wood block, a hammer and get to work. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,920
    Options
    texaswig said:
     @SmokeyPitt had I had the daisy vents 3/4 closed. The wind was blowing from the side. I guess I'm gonna get some silicone, a wood block, a hammer and get to work. 

You don't need a big hammer - in fact even just using 2 blocks of wood will do the trick!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:

You don't need a big hammer - in fact even just using 2 blocks of wood will do the trick!
    @SGH - any comment?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,794
    Options
    DMW said:
    RRP said:
    texaswig said:

@SGH - any comment?
    I better just let that one slide brother D. The buffalo has been running wild as of late. However the strain is just about more than I can stand =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    This is a 180 for a max thread. Usually its about how they take forever to get to temp. Very refreshing.   
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Yep.  I used the mod suggested above and bent the corners of my vent.  Easy and works like a charm.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm guessing your friends aren't instant egg converts?

Little Rock, AR

• texaswig
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist Haha true! If I lived there I would have to build a wind brake. Crazy even with wind blowing how humid it is. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx