Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking wood

Options
I'm about to smoke meatloaf and got to thinking about all the different types of wood. Do you guys recomend a certain brand or company that you order from online, or do you just buy local. I hit a BBQ galore and made a massive purchase about 4 months ago and I'm due to restock. Thanks

Mesa AZ 

Comments

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Fruitawood.com

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If you have a firewood supplier in your city you can save a pile of money, as opposed to the pre-bagged commercial stuff.

Also, get to know your local landscapers.  I just got a truck load of mesquite last week for free.  Yes, I know a lot of people don't like mesquite, but I quite like the flavor on certain things.

Phoenix 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    EvenFlow said:
    I'm about to smoke meatloaf and got to thinking about all the different types of wood. Do you guys recomend a certain brand or company that you order from online, or do you just buy local. I hit a BBQ galore and made a massive purchase about 4 months ago and I'm due to restock. Thanks

Where are you located?  You should consider updating your signature to include your location so people can recommend places near you.

I also use fruitawood since it is really quality stuff.  If you live near Grand Junction, Colorado, you can stop in there and save a lot of money.  for more info go to http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,120
    Options
    Neighbors trees.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I mostly use white oak or maple. Deadfall from my yard or Mom's. Hickory, I have to buy but everyone sells hickory. Don't use a lot of fruit wood, but what I do use, I scrounge. I'm not picky... wood is wood. Have never ordered wood from anyone.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EvenFlow
    EvenFlow Posts: 21
    Options
    We have a pecan grove between Phoenix and Tucson and they pile it up by the highway for anyone to take, so I load up on that when ever I drive down there.
    Mesa AZ 
  • EvenFlow
    Options
    Blasting, I have used Berry Bros on Washington St, by the airport, they are a little pricey tho
    Mesa AZ 
  • Meeeshigan22
    Meeeshigan22 Posts: 306
    Options
    Another vote for fruita, part of the fun is trying the various options. Big fan of the bourbon barrell and California red oak for beef, although been using a bunch of hickory for reverse sear. Apple and peach for poultry and pork.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    EvenFlow said:
    We have a pecan grove between Phoenix and Tucson and they pile it up by the highway for anyone to take, so I load up on that when ever I drive down there.

Pecan is a favorite of mine.  Do you by chance have directions or coordinates for this free pecan?  Thanks @EvenFlow

Phoenix 
  • EvenFlow
    Options
    blasting , It's south of Eloy on the I-10 just before Picacho peak. Groves are on the east and west side of 10. Bring a battery powered cutting tool and go to town. I still have cuts from 4 years ago
    Mesa AZ 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Fruita. I have ordered peach from them before, and it was, by far, the best smoking peach wood I have ever used in my life. I ordered pecan Saturday, and if it is 1/2 as good as the peach, I will be extremely happy. Peach, pecan, sugar maple, cherry, and oak are my go to, with pecan and peach carrying the work load.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Here's a new one that I've heard some good things about:  http://bbqhardwood.com/

And here's one in Missouri that I use:  http://www.vaughnwoodproducts.com/

The shipping is killer on this stuff, so best to find one that has the best rates where you are.  There is Carolina Smoking Woods and Baxters Originals over in the Georgia area.

Or you could always go with http://www.mojobricks.com/  Lot of smoke packed in those little cubes.  I use the "Mapple"