Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've fallen in Love...again !!!

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
I inspected and examined the MiniMax Saturday at the Porkopolis Eggfest....I feel the fever !!!!!

Yeah, I've got the big guns, but I think the MM would be perfect for my deck and for my outdoor kitchen plans. Certainly I'd like to have the biggun in the kitchen, but I also use it at events....so if I had a MM I would not have to move the XL back and forth off the deck. I can always cook on the Xls at home from the trailer...no problem...but it's not like stepping in and out the back door only a step or two (yeah, I'm lazy).

Two advantages that I can think of...smaller table, much more mobile (at home), that's all I can think of in my situation....anyone have other convincing ideas why I need a MM ???

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Because it's there.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    A lot less lump, fires up and comes to temp fast. I use it for cooks during the week for just the two of us. Also a nice back up Egg for when I run out of room on the Medium.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    You need a MM because @caliking REALLY wants one.  So if you get one, you can rub his nose in it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dldawes1
    Options
    evie1370...I considered the less lump benefit....but I'm not convinced that a smaller egg uses less lump.....just my train of thought.

To reach a certain heat source temp (for direct cooking ) I'm not following how a XL can need (use) more lump than a smaller egg. For L&S, to saturate the ceramics to a desired temp may require more fuel....or more time...or both.

Not arguing or disputing, only trying to understand.

Thanks,

DD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    evie1370...I considered the less lump benefit....but I'm not convinced that a smaller egg uses less lump.....just my train of thought.

To reach a certain heat source temp (for direct cooking ) I'm not following how a XL can need (use) more lump than a smaller egg. For L&S, to saturate the ceramics to a desired temp may require more fuel....or more time...or both.

Thanks,

DD
    a smaller area of fire, 13 inch diameter verse 23 inches diameter or red lump for searing. my mini uses almost nothing. my mini mini uses almost less than nothing. heres a burger cooked on a quarter cup of lump =)

001-26jpg

003-11jpg

005-9jpg

006-16jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i put a mini on the deck, my large is down on the patio 12 feet below. (i tricked myself that the mini is safer on a deck). =)
    fukahwee maine

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Are you planning on taking the MM with you or will it just live on your back deck?  If you don't need the portability of the MM then I would be thinking medium because the price is not much different.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    I'm trying to convince my father in law that he needs an MM.  That way we can easily take something to the lake with us later this summer.  Also, he has no interest in long cooks, so he likes the idea of getting to temp faster and less lump.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I appreciate all the posts.

fishlessman...I've never cooked only 1 burger. Come to think of it, I've never cooked less than 4 burgers!!!! (one reason I'm looking at the MM).

I'm sure you and the others above are correct on the smaller egg using less lump. It just amazes me how efficient the XL is. For example, the small amount of lump needed to cook 4 burgers. I hope that explains why I questioned the MM using less lump than the XL for a direct cook.

SmokeyPitt ..yes, I do want the option for portability (more portability than an XL !!). .

Thanks again everyone.

• fishlessman
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    I appreciate all the posts.

fishlessman...I've never cooked only 1 burger. Come to think of it, I've never cooked less than 4 burgers!!!! (one reason I'm looking at the MM).

I'm sure you and the others above are correct on the smaller egg using less lump. It just amazes me how efficient the XL is. For example, the small amount of lump needed to cook 4 burgers. I hope that explains why I questioned the MM using less lump than the XL for a direct cook.

SmokeyPitt ..yes, I do want the option for portability (more portability than an XL !!). .

Thanks again everyone.

it really uses alot less, its a lump miser. when i had my small i once did a 4.5 hour riblet cook 220 direct using just enough lump, about 1 inch deep to cover the bottom grate and had half of it left when the ribs were done.
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I like the options that a minimax opens up - portable, bigger than a mini, smaller than a large, etc.

I have little love for my SBGE. My mini sees some action, especially for quick weekend lunches. After cookign on a MM recently, I would really like to sell the mini and SBGE and get a MiniMx instead. Then the guilt kicks in and I try to love my SBGE a little more, to give it another chance.

Its hard being me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    decisions, decisions, decisions....

But I do know where to look for advice...

Thanks, again !

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I like my MM. Wish I would have paid attention and made sure I got a second generation. I don't really like how the fire ring fits in mine. I think its perfect with a xl for smaller cooks. I bought it so I could not just cook,  but egg other places. But don't joke yourself at 90lbs it's no lightweight. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • dldawes1
    Options
    texaswig...Still lighter than 210 !!!!!

Thanks

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    My Mini Max compliments my XL perfectly. It even loves to spend weekends at the lake cooking for everyone. It's going to the beach in three weeks as well.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I bought mine shortly after buying my daughter and SIL a large with a table, etc for Christmas. Never ate off an egg till SIL and daughter had me over for New years dinner and I realized I HAD to have one. So I went with the Max then bought a medium a month ago. Now the Max goes RVing with daughter and SIL alot and is often out on road trips. In Vermont as I type this. So I may buy another one. Wife would probably have a melt down if I brought home a large. I like to do baked mac and cheese and sides on the Max [when its actually here] and main course on medium. It opens up alot of cooking options but wasn't enough as my only egg. But apparently does real well on camping trips lol.....  
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Thanks,

DD
    a smaller area of fire, 13 inch diameter verse 23 inches diameter or red lump for searing. my mini uses almost nothing. my mini mini uses almost less than nothing. heres a burger cooked on a quarter cup of lump =)

001-26jpg

003-11jpg

005-9jpg

006-16jpg

That's a cute little joker....

I bought a MM fer camping and boating.  I used it when we went to NC to camp and was able to treat folks to the wonders that came off of it hopefully starting a new found BGE family here and there!!!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    dldawes1 said:

Thanks,

DD

001-26jpg

003-11jpg

005-9jpg

006-16jpg

What is that and where does one find such a device? Thats pretty cool....
  • thatguy662
    thatguy662 Posts: 24
    Options
    I've got a MM and a large. I don't use the MM like I thought I would really. Honestly only ever use it for steaks and small portions of chicken or pork chops. When I cook it's usually on weekends so I like a feast for friends or to eat on later. But I can vouch that it uses much less charcoal and will run just as long as the large on a full firebox. I've smoked 8+ hours on it before.
  • dldawes1
    Options
    thatguy662 ...A whole lot of my cooking is on weekends, as well. But I think that is partially due to not wanting to go out in the yard, get the XL ready and then anticipating running back on and off the deck to tend to the cook. Especially if it is raining and the grass is wet, (and if freshly cut SWMBO doesn't like grass tracked in the house).

It is somewhat of a hassle moving an XL on and off the deck!!  I have been cooking alot at fundraisers to raise money for my ministry and I keep the XLs on a trailer for that purpose.

It has cut down on my week night cooks somewhat.

I think I Reeeaaaly neeeed a MM !!!!!!

• jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    thatguy662 ...A whole lot of my cooking is on weekends, as well. But I think that is partially due to not wanting to go out in the yard, get the XL ready and then anticipating running back on and off the deck to tend to the cook. Especially if it is raining and the grass is wet, (and if freshly cut SWMBO doesn't like grass tracked in the house).

It is somewhat of a hassle moving an XL on and off the deck!!  I have been cooking alot at fundraisers to raise money for my ministry and I keep the XLs on a trailer for that purpose.

It has cut down on my week night cooks somewhat.

I think I Reeeaaaly neeeed a MM !!!!!!
    @dldawes1 sounds like you've made your decision.  May as well head over to your dealer and get it done with.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yljkt said:
    dldawes1 said:

Thanks,

DD

001-26jpg

003-11jpg

005-9jpg

006-16jpg

What is that and where does one find such a device? Thats pretty cool....
    its a hachi grill i found years ago, i made the top so it functions better in the wind. heres some sausage cooking and some mini crab cakes. i use it for icefishing, its stored on the 4wheeler

fukahwee maine

• Renaud
    Renaud Posts: 11
    Options
    I want a MM that I can use for searing or to do sides while I'm doing a smoke. Right now I use a Websr kettle for that. Also like the idea of bringing the MM on camping trips and the Eggfests I travel to. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I have a MiniMax and if it was to do over again, I'd get a medium.

Options
    @paqman....Do you think a medium would be better, even though I have the XL as my second egg?  I pictured,,,if I need to cook more than the MM can handle...then I would resort to the XL.

I'll have the XLs here, just not up on the deck close to the back door.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I like my MiniMax but the main reason I purchased it was to be able to transport it.  The thing is heavier than you can think and the handle (or hinge) will poke you while moving it.  If I knew what I know now, I would get a medium with a pot lifter and a nest.  I suggest that you find a dealer that has it in stock to handle it first and see if it suits your needs.  Besides transportability, I find that the grid is too close to the coals for direct grilling.  You constantly need to look at the food and flip it to avoid burning it; not a problem with the medium.

@dldawes1: I am with you. Like you, I am jonesing for a MM right now. Half things I may run to get one this Sat, despite the high prices in Canada.

For me, the appeal of the MM is mostly about portability at home. I want to be able to take my Egg poolside, place in on my LBGE table for sides and, most importantly, uses it on a front covered porch in bad weather. A side benefit for me would be to have the option of taking it to friends' places and also taking it on the occasional trip (e.g., camping, etc). Having previously owned a medium, which I can compare to my current Large, I also believe less lump consumption and fast heat-ups are other benefits.

Did I mention the high prices in Canada?  ;)
  • dldawes1
    Options
    @paqman...As with everyone providing feedback, I greatly appreciate your post. Right now, I am leaning toward going again to compare the MM and Medium. 

I don't picture building an outdoor kitchen or table for my deck for my XL...that said, I think a Medium might better suit my cooking characteristics than the MM. I'm a big eater and I'd hate for the wife to not get to eat because I didn't cook enough on the MM.!

I guess the gamebreaker is that:

(1). I don't want to move the XL on and off the deck
    (2). I want to cook on the deck for only a couple of people, fast meals, not L&S.
    (3). I have the XLs for larger gatherings.
    (4). I'm not worried about lump consumption...more on the line of quick            lighting and shorter time to the table during the week. I'm not complaining about the XL, but would take faster meal prep times (if the MM and/or Medium would offer that benefit).

Yeah, of course I overthink...I'm an analyzer technician !!!! I've been trained for almost 40 years to overthink !!!!!1

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    caliking said:
    I like the options that a minimax opens up - portable, bigger than a mini, smaller than a large, etc.

I have little love for my SBGE. My mini sees some action, especially for quick weekend lunches. After cookign on a MM recently, I would really like to sell the mini and SBGE and get a MiniMx instead. Then the guilt kicks in and I try to love my SBGE a little more, to give it another chance.

Its hard being me. 
    What is wrong with the SBGE? I have one in the Motor Home and have no problem with it. I haven't used my Mini since I won the Mini Max, I feel that a small & nest is just as portable as the MM, they are within a few pounds of the same weight and the small & nest can be rolled around.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• dldawes1
    Options