Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aging...? Am I Ready ??

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
I've followed threads here for over 2-1/2 years on dry aging. I'm very blessed to have extra fridge space now (out of sight from SWMBO). I think I'm ready.....

Please advise and correct my misunderstanding...

I can just throw a couple of ribeyes on a wire wrack in the back of the fridge (with drip pan....is it needed?), forget about them for a couple of weeks (I'm not sure if I could wait any longer on the first attempt), carve off any green and blue that has formed and cook as normal.?.?

I honestly appreciate everyone's patience and generosity in helping me get started.

You've never failed me before !!!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not individual steaks.  You want to do the entire ribeye roast. But yes, throw it in the back of the fridge and forget about it for 30+ days.  Then you do not even have to trim.  When ready to your liking, cut the roast into steaks and enjoy.  You should not have any type of mold on the meat at all.  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited July 2016
    Options
    you haven't been reading much if you still are aiming to try individual steaks. ;)

whole ribeye subprimals only, or large roasts, etc.

you can age any chunk of meat (pork too) as long as it is big (roast or larger)
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• dldawes1
    Options
    Sorry....Darby_Crenshaw...reading and understanding can be easily confused. I have been reading....the understanding part is where I have a hard time  :}

With my aging brain and all of the abuse it took through the 70's -90's....I don't always comprehend what I read !!!

I appreciate the feedback! And I do understand your response !

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    How large of a roast is recommended? I'll probably try this the next time I buy meat, but don't know if I want to devote the whole thing to it. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

Contrary to others opinions, I do individual steaks.  There's just two of us.  I don't have a vacuum sealer and I'm not into buying a $100+ hunk of meat.

I buy 1 1/2"- 2" rib eyes or strips and put them on the wire rack in the garage fridge. I "age" them for 4-5 days and they're quite good.  This works for us.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    dimensionally at least as long as wide.

if you are drying something, anything, for as long as possible while also trying to not dry it out too much, you don't want to age anything thin, because you are exposing maximum area, minimum volume.

a ball of meat would be the perfect thing, but we don't have those.

ribeyes do well because they are fattier and have a lot of volume.  strip loins are also aged, but you'll see they get very thin after the same amount of time, because they are thinner to begin with and have a lot of surface with less volume.

you can age a three bone rib eye, but if you are a trimmer, you will be trimming away a lot of meat.

trimming is a recent phenomenon.  there is no need for trimming.  those of us who really enjoy this usually find the exterior to be the best part actually.

if you don't trim, you can do a three bone roast.  but that's still small.

and if you have never had dry aged to begin with, i would not recommend doing it yourself first.  you won't know what the heck to look for and you'll second guess the whole way (unless you just DO IT).

better to buy a dry aged steak, untrimmed, and cook the thing.  even if it costs you $50, it's still cheaper than buying a rib eye roast and aging it a month only to second guess yourself and toss it in the trash

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    How "dry" does the fridge need to be?  I have a beer fridge from a bar that is somewhat empty but it's pretty humid. Doesn't seem to have the humidity control of a regular fridge. Would a little dehumidifier help with this process?  I do get a little black mould in it from time to time so uncovered meat sort of scares me. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    As usual, I agree with Darby on the fact as long  as the length  >= width you can dry age it. The smallest I aged though was a pork roast.  Darby might remember that thread: 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185826/30-day-dry-aged-pork-for-mother-in-laws-birthday-dinner/p1

It was insanely good and now I dry age most of my beef,  and pork if I can find a good enough piece of pig to do it with.
    I think I remember @nolaegghead was going to do a pork roast as well.  Never saw the outcome though.
    Large and MiniMax

• Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Most butcher shops may cut down a chunk of meat fer ya so it's not too expensive.  My 1st attempt was hard to bite since I dropped some big change on a prime rib roast that was almost 20lbs.  I dry aged it in some UMAI bags. Darby_Crenshaw knows their stuff about this stuff...

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194601/39-day-dry-aged-prime-rib-1st-timer#latest
    Is my 1st attempt and next time based on Darby and a few others I will not cut off the crust!!!

Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You certainly can and should dry your individual steaks. Two days is sufficient but can go as long as you want. Simply trim the hardened edges off before cooking. This is after two days. Top shelf on a rack against the back. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bags aren't needed.  not to irritate anyone who does use them, but they are NOT required.

i stand by my oft-repeated assertion that the single greatest reason those bags are used is to 1.) assuage the wife, who already thinks you are nuts and doesn't feel comfortable with unwrapped meat in the fridge and 2.) because people think meat needs to be 'wrapped' for it not to go bad. 

go to any decent real butcher shop, and all the meat in their case is unwrapped.  that's why a butcher's chicken has great crispy skin,  air dried.

gmac said:
    How "dry" does the fridge need to be?  I have a beer fridge from a bar that is somewhat empty but it's pretty humid. Doesn't seem to have the humidity control of a regular fridge. Would a little dehumidifier help with this process?  I do get a little black mould in it from time to time so uncovered meat sort of scares me. 

the aging is the primary thing happening.  drying is secondary.  you DO NOT want to encourage drying, you merely want to allow it.  too much drying makes beef jerky.  expensive beef jerky

your home fridge isn't as humid as you think.  in fact, home fridges technically are too dry.

commercial dry aging adds a little humidity back into the system to allow extended aging without too much drying.

don't add a dehumidifier.

please people, this stuff is a fixed, known, documented, simple, ancient concept.  do not improvise.  don't add towels.  don't buy magic plastic open-sided stupid aging boxes.  don't be a pvssy. ;)

just please, for the love of god, try it once the way it has always been done. was your grandfather's butcher an idiot?

and if you don't like it that way, that's ok.  not everyone likes bleu cheese or espresso coffee or thousand year eggs or other aged stuff. you don't have to like this stuff.  in fact, if you trim this heavily, then i maintain you DON'T like this stuff, and are just following the crowd.

no one says they really like and appreciate cabernet sauvignon, and then adds "but it's a little to big for me so i add ice and a little soda water".  sure, you can do that, but it isn't what you are telling yourself it is.

if you are doing it because you love experimenting and trying food of all types, then by all means.  but if you prefer a pretty commercial looking bright red steak, and throw out cheese a day past the sell-by date, then this isn't for you.  seriously.

saying " man this sounds great i wanna do this and join the fad!" but then avoiding doing every step of it, doing a small hunk, or trying to do a steak, or trimming off the very aged stuff you made, or begging the wife to let you do it, or jumping through vacuum-bag hoops so she will let you (and you can't explain why you need them in the first place)... man.  just seems like a big waste of time.

[soapbox dismounted]

• andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Options
    great info as always Darby.
    One question - the benefit of using the main fridge vs a dedicated fridge. I have a fridge in the garage I don't use at the moment. It would be easy to use it for a dry aging experiment, but I think I have read previously that it is not ideal to use a fridge that is closed all the time. I.e. if using the main fridge in the kitchen the door will be constantly opened and thus the air and humidity will be circulated. If I use the garage fridge there is really no need to ever open the door, I could have it shut for 45 days, but should I?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    As usual, I agree with Darby on the fact as long  as the length  >= width you can dry age it. The smallest I aged though was a pork roast.  Darby might remember that thread: 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1185826/30-day-dry-aged-pork-for-mother-in-laws-birthday-dinner/p1

It was insanely good and now I dry age most of my beef,  and pork if I can find a good enough piece of pig to do it with.
    I think I remember @nolaegghead was going to do a pork roast as well.  Never saw the outcome though.
    We're at 200 plus days on that one.
    Options
    Darby_Crenshaw...

You said..."and if you have never had dry aged to begin with, i would not recommend doing it yourself first.  you won't know what the heck to look for and you'll second guess the whole way (unless you just DO IT).

better to buy a dry aged steak, untrimmed, and cook the thing.  even if it costs you $50, it's still cheaper than buying a rib eye roast and aging it a month only to second guess yourself and toss it in the trash"

I've never eaten anything I didn't like.....that said, I appreciate your watching out for me !!!  You're advice is taken with great appreciation. After reading these posts today...please consider why my reading past posts have challenged my confidence!!!!!

I will try it, I will buy a "hunk" of beef to age.  I'm sure I will not be disappointed !!!  I'll keep this thread alive to document my experience....

I'll be back in a few weeks (14-day aged)....is that sufficient for a first timer? Please confirm.

Thanks, as always,

DD

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I know you didn't ask me, but here's my opinion as I have been dry aging for several years now. 14 days isn't worth the bother!!! I prefer 45 days myself - and I'm serious!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    a dedicated fridge is better.  beer fridge is excellent, and a full blown humidity controlled commercial aging room is perfect. 

beer fridges are great precisely because you don't open the fridge very often, not despite it.

if you have teenagers, or cook a lot yourself, the kitchen fridge will be opened and closed a lot.  that lets room air in, which condenses on cold things.  cold things like big hunks of beef you are trying to age. this can permit mold, but even then it's not too likely.  mold is fine actually, just wipe/wash it off.

you can certainly age in the kitchen fridge.  but better to have real estate elsewhere.  this also eases the wife's concerns about looking at a hunk of beef for a month or more.  if it is in your beer fridge, all the better.

less likely for there to be off odors too.  after 45 days in the kitchen fridge, a hunk of beef may pick up garlicky fishy whatever smells, for example

• dldawes1
    Options
    RRP...not sure if I'm that patient !!!!!  How bout if I go halfway with you at 30 days???? 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    suit yourself - it's your meat
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    RRP...not sure if I'm that patient !!!!!  How bout if I go halfway with you at 30 days???? 
    cut off a steak at 27 days, then another at 42/45 days, then you will know. you will also find you eat smaller portions of dry aged beef so you can split a steak
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dldawes1
    Options
    I love this place !!!

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I have had dry aged beef and love it. You mention adding humidity in a commercial situation. Do you know what the ideal humidity is?  I can easily add a hygrometer to measure the beer cooler humidity and see how close I am before I jump straight in.

I'm just worried because as I said, I do see mould in there from time to time. Very unappealing black mould. I never throw out cheese etc, just cut it. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • andersa
    andersa Posts: 42
    Options
    very good, time to fire up the garage fridge and get a big Rib-eye roast. BTW, Prime vs Choice when dry aging, much difference?
    (apologies for the hijack dldawes) 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    edited July 2016
    Options
    gmac said:
    I have had dry aged beef and love it. You mention adding humidity in a commercial situation. Do you know what the ideal humidity is?  I can easily add a hygrometer to measure the beer cooler humidity and see how close I am before I jump straight in.

I'm just worried because as I said, I do see mould in there from time to time. Very unappealing black mould. I never throw out cheese etc, just cut it. 
    i haven't studied it because i haven't considered adding humidity and the beer fridge does fine for my needs.

basically i am sure it's similar to other aging situations, like prosciutto, sausage, etc., [EDIT: which i think is 55% or higher, approaching 65%? ]

even then, the only reason commercial applications control that stuff is so they can maintain uniform quality.  it isn't necessary, it just means the country ham they produce this year will be similar in quality to the one they make next year, rather than suffer from too dry or too humid a season.

molds can be washed off, per USDA.  some mold is actually encouraged in aging, but that's another level.  i don't bother with that either for aging.

i agree with RRP re 45 days, but the way i got there (aside from buying 45 days from a butcher) is in trying it myself the way fishless advocates: age a whole rib eye, and lop off a steak at 21., 28, 45, etc.

i've done a hundred, which i find too dry in a fridge.  umai bags i do believe can go a little longer with a little less water loss, but i am not sure.

essentially, the bags slow drying up front, being plastic.  but the open-air beef slows drying at the end, as the rind gets bigger (bigger than in the umai bags).

they supposedly end up around the same weight (water loss) around 65 days IIRC.

at 45 does it really doesn't enter into it, as far as my needs are concerned

• Sea2Ski
    Options
    Sorry for for the hijack........

@nolaegghead 200 days?   Fer realz? 
    Whats your plan for this thing? 
    Large and MiniMax

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Sea2Ski  kind of forgot about it.  Dunno.  Whatever I do I will post.
    Options

beer fridges are great precisely because you don't open the fridge very often, not despite it.

WHAAAAAT?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    If there are convenient dispenser handles on the door, then there is no need to open the door every time you get beer.  Only need to open when replenishing the source.
  • CanadianAnvil
    Options
    I have a question  as well. 
    Off oders have been brought up, I have bought a full rib roast to try this. Go down to the basement to our second fridge to make room by moving beer around and the case of water and find its on the fritz. Beer is not as cold, look in freezer where my wife puts her food coffins (Tupperware) and stuff is sort of slushy on the outside eighth inch. 
    So no way I'm putting this glorious hunk of cow it. 
    So long story short, new fridge is delivered tomorrow. We all know what a new fridge smells like sothe question is should I scrap this project for a while so the new plastic funk leaves or plow ahead?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    no idea.

might rinse the interior and see if there's a smell that remains.

i probably wouldn't think twice, but 45 days from now i wouldn't want you to be perceiving some smell or flavor (real or imagined) after having me toldja it was 'fine'.

there is an element of rancidity in the fat that will occur anyway.  rancidity (contrary to popular opinion) isn't necessarily a negative when aging.  it's a component in the flavors of prosciutto for example.

but if you have never done this, the first time you have a steak you may be wondering in the back of your head "is that how it is supposed to taste? and what's that other flavor? is that correct too?" etc.

can always age in the main fridge as a last resort. down low in the coldest part.  or a roast in the meat or deli drawer (if you have one).  those are typically colder