Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Identity Theft

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Back in around 1980 or so some body take a loan out in my wife's name somewhere in Mississippi and of course never paid it back.
    To this day I still get a$$hole credit companies calling wanting money!! They just resale the debt over and over again.
    I keep telling them "Send me a certified copy of original loan paper work to verify her signiture!" If not F?CK OFF!!

http://youtu.be/hxUAntt1z2c
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hotch- you may appreciate this one
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Hotch- you may appreciate this one
    That may have been some of the best tv I have ever seen.  My wife had me watch that as soon as she saw it a few weeks back.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Seems to happen to me a lot- but I travel a ton and credit card goes a lot of places.  Bet it's happened at least 5-6 times over the last 11 years. Credit card companies are good about reversing charges and sending new card.  Luckily only been credit cards sounds like the identity theft would be quite a different issue. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Looks like this thread took two directions and we all learned something by sharing. The OP title implied identity theft, but was really about credit card fraud.

Years ago elsewhere an avid egger who owns a dead beat tracking service addressed issues like LifeLoc and other credit monitoring services along with fraudulent cc charges etc. By law the three major credit bureaus must provide an annual FREE report on inquiries, and any updates to your credit record. Additionally they must share the information with each other. I then proceeded to lock down my record at each giving further assurance that any requests for credit would trigger an immediate alert to me and would require my written authorization to supply the information to the requestor. I also then sat up a schedule that every 4 months I would inquire an activity report from one of them in case there was slippage. By doing the rotation my inquiries were FREE. Maybe that sounds like too much trouble, but really it wasn't especially for the peace of mind it has given me for like 15 years now! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I was hit in the Target breach. Someone tried to by 354 dollars worth of groceries at a Meijers in Michigan after a small charge in Indiana at a gas station. Now, if I ever travel out-of-state, I need to call or Capital One blocks my card.
  • RRP
    Options
    I was hit in the Target breach. Someone tried to by 354 dollars worth of groceries at a Meijers in Michigan after a small charge in Indiana at a gas station. Now, if I ever travel out-of-state, I need to call or Capital One blocks my card.
    That sounds awfully restrictive - was that by your request or did Capital One require it? How lenient are they on internet purchases? 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:
    That sounds awfully restrictive - was that by your request or did Capital One require it? How lenient are they on internet purchases? 
    Their fraud unit marked me "high risk". It's getting a bit easier. I've never had an issue with Internet purchases but I wonder if they can see where that's generated from since I typically order from my phone or 1 computer.
  • 1move
    1move Posts: 516
    Options
    Big green egg stole my credit card and identity! Now I identify as an egghead!!!

In all seriousness I had it happen to me as well someone tried buying a $4000 Home theatre setup at Best Buy and they stopped them in their tracks. 

Biggest piece of advice for anyone out there is to inform your bank of your travel plans as on all three occasions it happened when .... Drum roll.... I was traveling
    XLBGE, MMBGE, CyberQ
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Back in around 1980 or so some body take a loan out in my wife's name somewhere in Mississippi and of course never paid it back.
    To this day I still get a$$hole credit companies calling wanting money!! They just resale the debt over and over again.
    I keep telling them "Send me a certified copy of original loan paper work to verify her signiture!" If not F?CK OFF!!

http://youtu.be/hxUAntt1z2c
    "F- You Oprah!" I crack up every time...
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Their fraud unit marked me "high risk". It's getting a bit easier. I've never had an issue with Internet purchases but I wonder if they can see where that's generated from since I typically order from my phone or 1 computer.
    Good point! And as I posted before I do believe my CC issuer monitors my activity which probably seems strange for all the small charges I make using it.

BTW - since I really only use my CC for convenience purchases I keep my limit to a small dollar amount rather than the repeated "free upgrades" to like $10K. I just don't need those high levels and believe higher the limit then higher the risk. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    RRP said:
    capital one is the card that always shuts down on me out of state as well, was so bad i ended up getting another card for out of state =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited June 2016
    Options
    i have done security at a rather large financial institution for the past decade and here is my advice for you to take or leave.

get rid of your checkbook.  its one of the top places your identity gets thefted.  it has a lot of personal info on each check and goes through a lot of hands before it gets back to you.  yes, i know some places process them electronically now but its just not worth the risk having one.  most if not all financial institutions offer electronic bill pay service.  if yours doesnt it might be time to find a new one.  ever wonder why mail box theft is still an issue?  this is why.  and it does happen to secure mail boxes as well.  and on the subject of mail, opt out of bulk mail.  this will eliminate the majority of your credit card offers.  however, if you have done business with a company or are doing business with them they can ignore this but you can contact them to opt you out of offers

as for card theft always look for skimmers and be wary of letting your card leave your sight.  unfortunately this is how some vendors are forced to do business (restaurants)

ron nailed it on the FREE credit reports.  each (3) bureau offers 1 free one per calendar year.  the trick is to stagger them so that you will have a free one every 4 months or so and not all at once.  there is different info reported on each one and they will almost never be the same but this is still a great proactive approach.  the website to request this service is the same for all 3 bureaus and is HERE

if you have been hit or are a high risk you should have a fraud alert on all 3 credit bureaus.  this will alert anyone opening an account in your name to possible fraud and hopefully the institution requesting the info will take additional safeguards

if you are at risk (spouse or kids on your account, etc.) or have been hit before then maybe a credit monitoring service is right for you.  i am not a fan of lifelock but it beats nothing and if you are happy with it i am happy for you.  a lot of us here have costco accounts and they offer very affordable accounts ($9/month for executive members + $3 for kids).  thats about the price of a fast food meal.  creditkarma is actually not bad for a free one either.  i actually use both the costco service and creditkarma 

last but not least make sure  you have good antivirus and keep it updated and make sure you keep all of your software on your computer updated (especially the operating system).  there are some NASTY things out there.  this one specifically lays dormant until you are typing in financial info and then pops up a window looking like a legit verification for attempted fraud on your account.  once typed in it then encrypts the data and sends it to the controller.  i have seen single losses in the tens of thousands of dollars to this one.  on this subject never ever ever open an attachment that you werent expecting and never click on a link in an email unless you 110% trust it.  just open a browser window and type in the address yourself.  they are preying on laziness (and it works)

the best advice i can give you is educate yourself.  if you are being reactive and only consider identity and card theft after the fact then it will just keep happening to you unfortunately.  you HAVE to be proactive!

here is some FREE online security training for you to peruse if you should chose to do so

sorry for the longevity but if you have specific questions let me know.  hopefully this will help at least one person
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Billy Grill Eggster Posts: 404
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was on vacation a couple of years ago, driving along to pick-up some groceries. Got a phone message to contact American Express on my mobile. Pulled over to a parking lot, called Amex with the number on the back of the card (that way I knew it was Amex). Gave them the code they left on message. Conversation went like this:

Amex: "William, do you have control of your card?"
    Me: "Yes."
    Amex: "Are you in Rome Italy ?"
    Me: "No."
    Amex: "Someone just tried to purchase train tickets in Rome for $385. We rejected the transaction."
    Me: "Okay now what ?"
    Amex: "We will continue to monitor your card"

By the time I got back to my vacation place, they tried four more transactions. I contacted Amex again and my card was cancelled by Amex, luckily it was the last day on my vacation. They sent a new card to my home in two business days.

Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• acmoser76
    acmoser76 Posts: 42
    Options
    I'm bad about consistently monitoring my credit card transactions. I generally only use my Amex. Now that I have Apple Pay, an alert pops up on my iPhone whenever something is charged on the Amex. It lets me monitor it in real time instead of relying on my self-discipline (or lack thereof) to sit down and look over multiple charges at once. Obviously this doesn't help with identify fraud, but it at least it's one less thing I have to worry about.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    I've had cards compromised thanks to the Target, Home Depot and Schnucks (local grocery) breaches.  The issuers caught the fraudulent activity before it hit my bills; the typical pattern is a small charge (<$10) at a gas station or convenience store, then shortly thereafter a large charge at a big box retailer.

I suggest taking advantage of the online account settings.  With Citi, you can provide a number for them to text you with fraud alerts, and you can respond as to whether the charge was authorized - this has worked well, when checking into a hotel my card was initially denied, as the clerk was telling me the bad news I got a text from Citi, responded, then the card was accepted all within 1 minute.  Chase allows you to set up email alerts for charges over a minimum amount (set by you) as well as for international charges.  Both also allow you to notify them about upcoming travel, so charges in those areas are less likely to raise fraud flags.

Be careful out there.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • tonyled
    Options
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Sunk by the SS Buffalo!

Flint, Michigan
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    CU I deal with had to issue me 3 new cards in a 7 month window few years ago. That was after an inmate used some sort on number generator and got lucky...this guy was charging $50-60 every few hours. Took several months before it got resolved. 
    Bastards..  
  • tonyled
    Options
    why would they tank this?

moderation here is a joke!