Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Mini Max or KJ "JR"?

Options
Looking into purchasing a small kamado cooker for camping and tailgates and want to maximize the space for cook with the lightest weight for ease of transport. Based on specs, looks like the KJ "JR" is slightly larger in grill space and lighter than the Mini Max. What are everyone's opinion on this matter? 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Really like my MM. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    i looked at both and went with kj jr for value.  quality wise its every bit as good as a mini max and quite a bit cheaper.  i have no regrets
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Depends on the price (was for me at least).  MM goes for $520-600+.  Got my Jr. at Costco for $399 and everything you need to cook direct or indirect.  It appears to come up to temp better than MM from what I've read.  I like the hinged grate and their indirect setup.  Warranty is just as good.  

If I could have bought a MM for low $400s, I would have considered going green.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tjsp
    tjsp Posts: 48
    Options
    Can you move the KJ JR by yourself? I know the MM is not recommended. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    yes, but im a big ol boy

its much easier with 2 though
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    If you remove the innards from the Jr, it is easy for one person to move.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I think in your mind you already know which one you want.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• WyBBQer
    WyBBQer Posts: 66
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    A picture is worth a thousand words on this topic.
    1 LBGE & 1 MMBGE
    Lingle, WY
  • tjsp
    Options
    The height situation concerns me with the Jr. for easy storage. 
  • bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Egghead community vs Kj i think was the deciding factor for me.
    Austin, Tx
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    If MM was delayed by another few mos when released, and i got the fourth one delivered to bbq island in tempe, az, then i would own a kj jr now.  I would have purchased it at CostCo roadshow for a great consumer favorable deal

Now, on the MM, i got mine the wednesday before thanksgiving 2014 and i am very happy with it.   Higher price than. Kj kr, but i am willing to pay more for a bge product, if i am able.   but my biggest frustration with mm was the constant teasing of future hopeful delivery dates.   BGE needs to have product release dates. Able to be met BEFORE telling us of the product.  But it is because of this flaw i didnt shell out 5k for xxl, and at the time i had the money to do it.  Im glad i didnt buy the xxl
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I have a Lg &  Mini, I remember when the MM was getting alot of play here on the forum, oh I just had to have one.

Well, I didn't get the MM, instead I went in a different direction. I bought a small Santa Maria Grill to my collection. Best thing I ever did as it adds a different dimension to my cooks.

As for my fixation on the MM, best thing I never bought.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    tjsp said:
    Can you move the KJ JR by yourself? I know the MM is not recommended. 
    I move the medium around , so the Jr. is no biggie. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I do have a KJ Jr, along with my Large Egg.   While it's a bit heavy to be real portable for my ancient back, I do like it a lot.  A great size when cooking just for the wife and I. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • tjsp
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their input, sorry if this came as a lame topic for some, I just like other people's perspective on this sort of deal even if I have a good grasp of the scenario ;)
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    If it's about the money - and just for a "few days a year" to tailgate and maybe vacation... I'm looking at this one:
    Charcoal Smoker  Grill Finish Red

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    I have a Jr. No problem moving it while hot by myself. Then again I could be dumb...

i think it weighs about 60 lbs. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Mini Max is about 90 lbs. KJ a lot lighter. I have a Max only because I have an old friend who sells BGE. I was gonna go KJ. But I do have to wonder how one can weigh so much less than the other. Over built / under built / lesser material / better material / IDK. Looks like the handles on the KJ wont fall apart tho, so they got that going for them.  =)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Please get the KJ. I would trade my MM with woo and plate setter for a KJ Jr in a second. 
  • Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    I stumbled upon a great CL deal for a Jr. and I've used it quite a few times in the last month or so. The only gripe I have with it is the lack of a screen on the damper door. Outside of that, she comes up to temp quickly, is easy to move (although a little heavy), cools quickly and cooks smaller meals just as well as my egg does. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    bgeaddikt said:
    Egghead community vs Kj i think was the deciding factor for me.
    Everyone is welcome here, even KJ users...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Dat KJ stand tho......MM wins,
    Seattle, WA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have a LBGE, MBGE, and a KJ Jr. I honestly can't tell the difference between the two brands as far as cooking. I would have bought the MM but they were not available at the time due to production issues and the KJ Jr was 100.00 less. As for the warranty, I broke the base on KJ and had a free replacement within 48 hrs....NO QUESTIONS ASKED. BGE also has a great warranty, so, as I said, I can't honestly tell the difference. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Buckeye79
    Buckeye79 Posts: 46
    Options
    I recently was lucky enough to score the Costco Kamado Joe Roadshow Demo Deal. Brought home a Big Joe and Joe Jr. this past weekend. Got a couple of cooks in on the Big Joe but haven't had time to fire the Jr. up yet. It appears to be very well constructed and is easy for me to move on my own. I am confident it will cook great.
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    Options
    Do a google search.  Find your closest dealers for both products.  Buy the one closer to your house.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Lit said:
    Please get the KJ. I would trade my MM with woo and plate setter for a KJ Jr in a second. 
    Why? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YEMTrey said:

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    Why? 
    The MM is slow to come to temp. The platesetter is so close when you go indirect the radiant heat from the platesetter can overcook the side of the food facing it. It doesn't react like other eggs at all where I would do pizzas in the large or XL at 500-550 at those temps my crusts burn on the MM and my toppings are not done. The only thing the shrinked design like the MM is good for is searing and with the air flow issues it takes forever to get it hot enough to sear. I had a small egg and a KJ Jr before the MM and would take either over the MM. I walked by the JR at roadshows in my local Costco and at the Costco in the town over in the last couple weeks and it was hard not getting the KJ and putting the MM on CL. I consider the MM one of my worst egg related purchases ever.