Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you get your Chunks?

Options
I've been buying most of my wood chunks at Home Depot, but wanted to check with you guys to see if there's a better option out there ...   I could get smaller bags at one of my local BGE dealers, but for larger quantities and/or better quality what have you found to be the best source?

Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I use HD for my RO because they put the entire pallet in the bin, so the individual bags aren't tossed around.  Always good product.  For other woods, can't really comment.  They do have a small variety of smoking woods there too, but not really what I do.  Anyway, sic 'em
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I usually buy from here:  http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Most of mine is local deadfall. Hickory, oak, maple etc. 

broken up branches, twigs. 

Shagbark hickory

lilac, rosemary, grapevine from the garden

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Amazon has a pretty good selection and reasonable is you have Prime.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Acn said:
    I usually buy from here:  http://www.mainegrillingwoods.com

This, and Fruita wood. Local Orchard as well for apple and peach.
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Woodpile, I cut it by the cord. Honestly most firewood guy will let you hand pick a trunkful cheap. Or have it delivered.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Thanks guys - I figured chunk brands might be a safer thread than lump!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    If you're remotely close to northeast Metro Atlanta, I can turn you on to somebody. PM me if interested. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you're remotely close to northeast Metro Atlanta, I can turn you on to somebody. PM me if interested. 
    He is by mall of GA but will meet you in the area
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Only stuff I have ever seen here in Eastern Washington is Western....and have to hunt for it normally 
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    My local HD has 16lb bags of Kingsford Apple, cherry, hickory and mesquite. Must be new this year. Never found chunks in bags that size. $20. 
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Deadfall for for maple and oak. I have a lilac that needs pruning too - I just never think of it for smoke wood. I don't even know what it's good for; fish and chicken? Will try to remember tomorrow. Hickory comes from Home Depot because I haven't found a source. Picked up a bunch of untreated cherry lumber (free) a few years ago. Still have about half of it left. Bought a few bags of various woods (apple, hickory, mesquite, pecan I think) last year when HD was changing vendors and nearly giving stuff way. Mostly I use white oak of late. Tastes good, smells good, free's good. =)

Mostly, I'm not picky. Can't imagine paying to ship the stuff. Too much free/cheap wood around.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Walmart has big bags of Western most popular flavors (hickory, mesquite, pecan, maple, apple and cherry) 7$per bag pretty cheap. I also know a farmer who had a peach tree blow over in a severe thunderstorm he is going to cut a bunch of it up for me. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Deadfall for for maple and oak. I have a lilac that needs pruning too - I just never think of it for smoke wood. I don't even know what it's good for; fish and chicken? Will try to remember tomorrow.
    good with lamb roast.  i use it to (lightly) smoke my fenalar too. a;ong with grapevine

Mostly, I'm not picky. Can't imagine paying to ship the stuff. Too much free/cheap wood around.

yep

another one for people who don't want to buy chunks...  just buy furniture grade hardwood.  cherry, maple, etc.  no.  it isn't treated
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hickory is very plentiful in our neck of the woods which happens to be known as Hickory Grove! Both white and red oak are also readily available but I have never developed a taste. I just was given 3 lengths of wild cherry from @Jeepster47 and it is still curing in my garage. I know it needs not be cured but when cured fast it splits naturally meaning it is easier to further split by hand and chunk out. Why get chain saw bar oil on the wood when not necessary? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Options
    All these chunks you buy from stores are kiln dried they don't give near as much flavor as the woods with a little moisture left in them.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Have you checked if there is a firewood guy in your locale?

For anyone looking in the PHX area, there is this guy:

http://www.bbfw.com/Bagged_Wood.html

I'm heading down this week to get a load for the stick burner.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    For the local varieties, I drive around in my pickup truck with a chainsaw after a tropical storm or hurricane.  You can, in a few hours, accumulate a few years supply of smoke wood.  And I can cherry pick it, unless it's cherry, because that doesn't grow here.  I buy that at a store.
    Options
    As @Carolina Q mentioned. I stocked up at HD last year when they were changing brands and were practically giving it away. I snagged all the pecan and a couple bags of apple that they had. 
    I got some oak from a friend of mine that was clearing his property and some cherry from a coworker whose grandpop had cut down a cherry tree that had died.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I get most all of mine in the woods at my house . 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    My local Academy Sports usually has chips, chunks,  and logs of various smoking woods.
    More meat please !! :-)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Jeff, thanks for the lamb suggestion. Going out to prune some lilac now. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I get mine from http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/ 

Their quality is excellent and if you happen to be in their area (Grand Junction, CO) you can go to their store and pick it up at an even better price.  They have lots of varieties of wood and the owner is great to deal with.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used to call Bert at Fruita, but now I call Michael Baxter in Georgia....

http://www.baxtersoriginal.com/our-woods.html

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited June 2016
    Options
    chop down a sugar maple and carve a drinking spoon =) enough sugar maple for life. and since folks on this forum try to get you to spend, buy a svante viking ax =)
    it slices limes well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Deadfall for for maple and oak. I have a lilac that needs pruning too - I just never think of it for smoke wood. I don't even know what it's good for; fish and chicken? Will try to remember tomorrow. Hickory comes from Home Depot because I haven't found a source. Picked up a bunch of untreated cherry lumber (free) a few years ago. Still have about half of it left. Bought a few bags of various woods (apple, hickory, mesquite, pecan I think) last year when HD was changing vendors and nearly giving stuff way. Mostly I use white oak of late. Tastes good, smells good, free's good. =)

on those long bike rides watch the road for the green nut husks and shells, easiest way to find the shag bark hickory. mid to late fall down your way
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Lit said:
    He is by mall of GA but will meet you in the area
    Seriously, give this guy a call. You won't find a better deal unless you cut it yourself. High quality product. Much better than bagged chunks. 
  • Lit
    Options
    billt01 said:

You really should check out the guy I posted above. Looking at the link you posted Joe charges half or less than that guy.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    My cherry and apple chunks are from individuals that took down trees and posted on Craigslist for free. I than cut down into chunks. My pear from a local guy that brings it up from Georgia. The oak came from my parents tree they dropped. Might be worth checking around and with a little elbow grease you can get basic smoke woods next to nothing and get a large supply of it. Ordering online will save you a bunch of time and effort but will be limited on goods until the next shipment 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Lit said:
    billt01 said:

You really should check out the guy I posted above. Looking at the link you posted Joe charges half or less than that guy.
     I have met Michael and seen his set up down there. I'm sure Joe is great as well, but I will continue to support who has done me right for 5+ years....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga