Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking diary method?

Options
2»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Legume said:
    I have to be honest, I half expected a handcrafted wood binder.  Kinda disappointed.
    I don't document anything outside my cranium.  Probably should've.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    I develop a recipe using Pages and that way I can recall it on iPhone, iPad or computer.  Once a recipe is perfected then it is written into a 3 ring binder  have had since we got married.  The binder also contain many hand written recipes from his grandmother his father and recipes from my mother and her side of family.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    Were talking meat and fire. Like cave people. Thus, I chisel my notes into rocks and keep them in the garden
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    I use Evernote for everything. Syncs across all platforms so you have it anywhere anytime. 
    Evernote Pro is fantastic. Worth the upgrade.
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    @jeroldharter what is the major advantage of the pro version?
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    Evernote is great.  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow. Documenting cooks? You guys put a lot more effort into this than I do.  I fly by the seat of my pants. I have a few "best of the best" recipes in a 20 yr old envelope. That's it. 
    I don't do it nearly as much as I did when I was newer to the Egg, but it was hugely helpful to me.  I still have notes from "First Brisket" and exactly what I did and what the result was, "Second Brisket" and what I did and what the result was, etc..  It wasn't until my FIFTH pork butt that I see that I wrote, "I think this is 'my method' now, for this..."

There are so many variables you can change, and it's not like I cook any of these dishes every week.  I can't remember what I did last time.

Once I nail down what I think is the best way to cook something, I have much less interest in writing down anything about the cook.  But even when I have, but if I haven't cooked a particular type of dish in a long time, it's really handy to be able to look back and see what was the exact way I thought turned out the best.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    I cut and paste everything to word...can make notes or edit after cooks in another color....I'm also a "dropbox" user so I can see all my recipes at work, home or wherever....but don't ever think I'm as organized as some of the previous posts....ha
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Another vote for Evernote. 

I have a notebook in Evernote for recipes,  and each recipe title has tags that make it easy to search e.g. Appetizers - bacon - pig shots

I can access each recipe from my phone, tablet, or computer. Easy to make notes about changes, etc. so i know what worked (or didn't) the next time i use the recipe. Also, I have instant access to all of my recipes if I am visiting family and cooking with/for them. 

I have been using it for a few years now, and it works great. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    When I research, find and cook a recipe I want to save I'll send an email to myself with the subject i.e. "Short Ribs Big Green Egg."  Then it's a quick search in my email. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Theophan
    Options
    We've gotten into talking about two potentially different topics:

(1) what we're keeping a cooking log in, and
    (2) what we use to keep recipes.  

Some folks use Evernote for both.  I like Evernote for the cooking log, but I use Paprika for keeping recipes - it's available for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android, and more.  Among other things, it's just so darned easy to grab recipes from an online source and almost instantly they're in my recipe file in Paprika.  It's TOO easy, as a matter of fact: I now see that I have over 1200 recipes in my Paprika, most of which I haven't cooked, yet -- they just looked so yummy I put them in Paprika to try at some point!  :)

I have it on my computer, my phone, and an iPad, and they're all synced, so I have my entire recipe collection anywhere I am, I can do the "managing" of it on my computer where there's a keyboard, but I can use it in the kitchen (or even out with my Eggs, though I'm not sure I have) on my phone or iPad.

In case you're interested at all, here are a couple of screen shots:

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i just document it here and look for it in google images when i want to find it =) turns out im the only one using fishlessman as a handle that cooks. at home and camp i have a pile of loose copies and those written down, but i search fishlessmans google images at work when i put together food buying lists for the weekend. google is doing the work for me ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    CheeseheadinAZ Posts: 315
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Theophan thanks for the screenshots!  Never heard of Paprika I'll definitely give it a look.  I sometimes think of a recipe I'Ve seen but then forget where the hell I saw it.  Also would you mind doing a screen shot of Evernote?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @RRP, I was expecting a denim wrapped trapper keeper.  :lol:
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I will say Google Keep and Google Drive is where I save ideas, etc.  That way it's tied to your Google login.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    I have evernote but never use it as google drive is already free and accessible. Both are indeed great options.  
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Theophan
    Options
    @Theophan thanks for the screenshots!  Never heard of Paprika I'll definitely give it a look.  I sometimes think of a recipe I'Ve seen but then forget where the hell I saw it.  Also would you mind doing a screen shot of Evernote?
    Evernote is much more general purpose than Paprika, so it's a bit less capable specifically for recipes, making grocery lists from a recipe you're about to cook, etc., but very much more capable as a sort of general purpose collection of information.  Here are a few screen shots, but of course they're of what I do with Evernote -- what each other person does with it will be different.

Here's a shot from my "Big Green Egg Cooking Log," which is in a collection within Evernote I labeled "Cookbooks."

And here are the collections I've set up at the moment, which Evernote calls "Notebooks," of which "Cookbooks" was one:

Just to illustrate something different, here's one about some wines I tasted and wanted to remember whether I liked them or not for future purposes (I don't really keep up with it because I wound up drinking cocktails very much more frequently than wine).

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My recall is almost non existent. My sight is even worse. I have just a few recipes, mostly for sauces, that I keep, the rest of my cooks are prep, season cook. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My recall is almost non existent. My sight is even worse. I have just a few recipes, mostly for sauces, that I keep, the rest of my cooks are prep, season cook. 
    I get worried, sometimes, about how my memory is going.  My short term memory is non existent, like yours, I guess.  But I think that's why I love having so much information instantly available on my phone -- it's right there in my pocket, anywhere I go.  If I don't remember, which is more and more common, I can look it up!  :)
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I keep a running list of cooks (Microsoft Word and Dropbox) loosely filed under beef, pork,etc.. The cooks are numbered similar to Wings #1, Wings #2, etc.. Each cook has a section at the bottom that addresses what we thought about the final product and, most importantly, ideas for changes the next time that cook comes up.  If it's not written down it's too easily forgotten ... 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• kwdickert
    Options
    I keep a running list of cooks (Microsoft Word and Dropbox) loosely filed under beef, pork,etc.. The cooks are numbered similar to Wings #1, Wings #2, etc.. Each cook has a section at the bottom that addresses what we thought about the final product and, most importantly, ideas for changes the next time that cook comes up.  If it's not written down it's too easily forgotten ... 
    You can upload all those docs to google drive and be set!

• Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Except for price what would be the difference between Google Drive and Dropbox?
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • kwdickert
    Options
    That, I don't know. I don't use dropbox. I have google for everything so im already logged into it and my google drive becomes interactive with my gmail so i can attach stuff. I tried both dropbox and evernote but nothing seemed easier for sharing and multi-person editing like google drive. Google docs is the free version of microsoft word online that saves to google drive. you can upload .doc files direct to it.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Dropbox is a free service for the first two gigs.  If I give you a link and you use it to sign up than we both get an extra half gig.  You get some more free space if you add it to other computers and/or your smartphone.  Click on the setting to have your smart phone automatically up load pictures to Dropbox (when on wifi) and you get more storage, etc.. I'm just short of eight gigs right now.

I signed up when they were new, so through inertia have stayed with them.  There might be better options, but I'm too lazy to check them out.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have been using Microsoft OneNote.  I like it fine but I use Office all the time so I have already become used to the cumbersome "ribbon" UI.  I have played around with EverNote some as well and I think it might be a little easier to get up and running.  I also like the fact that EverNote is synced to the cloud automatically.  You can do this easy enough with OneNote but you have to sign up for a OneDrive account separately. 

I think the best advice is to just start using it to see how you like it.  You can sign up and start using it in your browser without installing any programs.  They have have programs you can download and install for both Windows and Mac desktops as well as apple/Android smartphones or tablets.  You can just start making notes and then you can move them around and reorganize later. I think the way I would use it is:
    • Create a new notebook called "Cooking". 
    • Add a new note to the cooking notebook for each cook.  
    • Use the tags to organize things.  You can have multiple tags per note if you are cooking multiple things or want multiple categories.  For example you could have tags for beef, chicken, pork, sides, appetizers. You could also use tags for different types of entries recipe, notes, etc.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I used to use Evernote, but moved everything over to OneNote.  You can access it on any device.  Save any post or recipe you see easily via "print to OneNote" , etc.  Love it!  I use it for many personal professional items..
    Here is a random screenshot of my recipes, most are printed from the internet using the above command:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I write up recipes in Word Perfect (still preferred to Word) and then save them as a PDF files to share with family.  Recipes I use often (ribs, Belgian waffles, etc.) are printed and put in a 3 ring binder.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)