Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Gas Ranges

Options

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I haven't sent the down payment on the appliance quote yet, so i am keeping an eye on this thread.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @DoubleEgger
    That looks great.  Do you simmer with yours?  We were going to just get a wolf range top and get Kitchen Aid wall ovens, but it was going to be cheaper just to get the Wolf 48" 8 burner with double ovens.  

My wife does a decent amount of canning and with four large stock pots going on our current 4 burner stove, none of the pots are centered.  Plus those big red knobs have to be worth 2 grand, right!?!?
    Yeah I simmer with it. It doesn't really seem like it goes lower than other units. It's got a dual eye. When simmering, the smaller eye just directs the heat at the center of the pot creating a hot spot. 

One other thing to note. They require at least a 3/4" gas line to the unit. That's larger than most standard lines and could add costs to your project. 

I'm hoping the knobs are worth $2k+. My rationale is that the housing market is fiercely competitive in Metro Atlanta. I'm hoping that the range and other upscale appliances (GE Advantium oven etc) will be a differentiator in appealing to the females. Might not get the money back but if the house sells faster, that's money in the bank. 
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 235
    Options
    We built our retirement home in '13 & '14. I did a lot of research into the built-in appliances and ultimately selected Bluestar for the rangetop and Wolf for the wall ovens. I've really enjoyed the BS rangetop - 2 25K Btu burners and a little simmer burner that actually simmers.  We got a 48" model which is 8 burners, with 2 convertible to either a griddle or a grill (have only used the grill once - PIA to clean).  I kind of wish we'd gone BS for the wall oven, but was put off by the side opening doors - not something I'm familiar with. But the Wolf's door opening down means your leaning over a hot surface to baste, and getting a roasting pan out can be challenging.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @tarheelmatt Matt I have an Italian Oven / range made by a company Bertazzoni. Give them a look. They are not as pricey as commercial brands...but certainly north of you GE's if you will. I absolutely love mine. Wife is not a big fan of the oven as the cavity is not as large as most US ovens. It also (oven) heats up differently than what we are use to here in the US. The gas range......love it. Give them a look.  http://us.bertazzoni.com/ 

How does it heat up differently? Always looking for better ways to do things.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks all!  I think the wife is opposed to getting a higher end stove, but I told her it'll be the stove we have for a long time.  I'll talk her into it soon.  
    Unless I move to a place without gas....mine will be going with me....and I will replace the stove.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @DoubleEgger
    Thanks for the tip on 3/4 gas line.  I will pass this info on to my builder and he will then pass the cost on to me.  It seems everything is adding costs to my project.  :anguished:

Any idea or concept that has been thought of has added cost.  You never hear "oh that will save you thousands and and it increases your homes value!"

Grand Rapids MI
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

i've had viking, thermador, wolf.  My favorite has been a Thermador. Check out the 36" gas cooktop.  Things I liked: 1 big burner for big pots.  Ability to simmer at low temps.  Controls face up, not out, handy for keeping small children from messing with them.  I also like having continuous grates across the top, it makes it easy to slide pots around.

I'd pick the features you want then look and see who has the best bang for the buck.  If it's GE, fantastic - I know they make a similar configuration.

@doubleegger I've got that unit.  Wife hates it.  It's got some issues with burners staying lit when the oven is roaring, may be due to gas line size or just poor design - apparently they've changed things since ours was made.  does yours do that?  it's a beast.  if we are under attack i plan to hide in that thing.

if i were redoing, i'd have a gas rangetop, and electric double ovens in the wall.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @blind99 it's a gas line issue. I bet you've got a 1/2" gas line. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    blind99 said:

if i were redoing, i'd have a gas rangetop, and electric double ovens in the wall.

The Verona I linked earlier has a gas cooktop and electric oven that has a convection feature as well.  Best of both worlds.  We added a Bosch electric wall oven, rather than going with a dual oven range.  I'm really happy we did that.
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited June 2016
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Legume said:
    I thought everyone cooked everything in their eggs?
    We had a stove that didn't work for 4.5 years. No point to fix it since we had the egg and the stove top still functioned. Finally replaced the oven 6 months ago but now I just refuse to use it. Everything I cook is based for the egg so the oven doesn't even cross my mind. My wife likes a functioning oven though.
    I like my Eggs, but I gotta go with what puts food on the table the best way possible.  
    I hear you. I should have replaced it long ago. With good lump and a weed burner I could get the large fired up almost as fast as the oven temp. When we bought the house the stove never worked so we kind of made what we had work. It was also a time where I was able to get 30+ bags of Ozark Oak at a time for $0.60 lb. I didn't feel bad firing up the large for a cardboard pizza. Now paying $1 lb. for similar lump has me thinking twice what should be tossed in. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    Options
    @DoubleEgger
    Thanks!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    How do you feel about sinks?
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Matt not sure if you have chosen the cabinetry but @Thatgrimguy might be onto something here... A little South African flair...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I want to make sure I do that right too.  I was going to hit you up on that.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Matt not sure if you have chosen the cabinetry but @Thatgrimguy might be onto something here... A little South African flair...
    Pretty cool there John!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    blind99 said:

i've had viking, thermador, wolf.  My favorite has been a Thermador. Check out the 36" gas cooktop.  Things I liked: 1 big burner for big pots.  Ability to simmer at low temps.  Controls face up, not out, handy for keeping small children from messing with them.  I also like having continuous grates across the top, it makes it easy to slide pots around.

I'd pick the features you want then look and see who has the best bang for the buck.  If it's GE, fantastic - I know they make a similar configuration.

@doubleegger I've got that unit.  Wife hates it.  It's got some issues with burners staying lit when the oven is roaring, may be due to gas line size or just poor design - apparently they've changed things since ours was made.  does yours do that?  it's a beast.  if we are under attack i plan to hide in that thing.

@blind99, I never thought about going that route.  I like that option a lot, honestly.  There's one that is pretty neat, has 5 burners though, which would probably be enough.   

http://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-specs/CGP650SETSS
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've had a Wolf and loved it!  When we upgrade our kitchen it'll be Wolf again.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
    We recently updated our kitchen cooktop.  We went with the 30" Blue Star due to the high btu burners
  • kl8ton
    Options
    New thread!  Although i don't really care too much about them.  I just want a big sink to easily wash big pans.

@johnmitchell  sweet rig

I would suspect that my family is in the minority here but we go microwave-less.  Not even planning a spot for one in the new kitchen.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Apparently my attempt at humor went down the drain...
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dang, my thread is sinking.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I do really like our sink though.  =)
  • kl8ton
    Options
    to much mention of other cooking devices
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Okay, I get it.. Sinks and sinking.  Duh!

I do want to know about sinks. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Apparently my attempt at humor went down the drain...
    i DO see what you did there. . ..  =)
    Grand Rapids MI
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Someone can post about fishing in the rain, in the main section, and that's all good. I post about OT , in OT and they sink my stuff.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Depending on how you configure your kitchen, I'd look at a higher end range top and double wall ovens. 

Here's the six burner Wolf range top 

http://www.subzero-wolf.com/wolf/cooktops-and-rangetops/range-top/36-inch-sealed-burner-rangetop-6-burners
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Yep Matt, that's it. To be honest low heat is more important to me than high. Water will boil eventually, and really high heat is for your egg/wok combo. But if you can't simmer a sauce without burning it that's a bummer. 

@DoubleEgger someday I'll pull out the range (when I get a tow truck into my kitchen) and find out. Doubt I'll run new gas pipe though!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    @blind99 You should have a shutoff accessible without having to remove your range. It's probably if your basement or crawl space if you have one. You'll be able to tell the size there.