Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perfect...then ruined

Options
Jeremiah
Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
edited May 2016 in EggHead Forum
So I figured I'd make wings tonight, and try out an idea I've had since I was eating solo: Publix greenwise wings, It's My Rub, Swamp Venom, and a mix of buffalo sauce, butter and lime juice. Damn if they weren't perfect, then I had the bright idea to give them a "little" char. Removed the platesetter, went to grab a plate and effing ruined. And that's how my weekend has went. 
Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 

Comments

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Ouch....  I have been there my friend.  We live and learn.  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    They sure were pretty! I'll bet the charred version is still salvageable though. It would be at my house anyway. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    I'd eat them anyway. Love the char. Gotta be some good meat under the char if that's not your thing. What indirect temp did you go with? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I would eat it.  Looks like 90% of what my dad took off his Weber kettle.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you can't say something nice....:rofl:
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I do my wings indirect always, and it is still possible to over do them.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    They still look great!  Nothing scraping with a butter knife can't take care of.  ;)  Love the sauce combo!!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Dude.......Lord have mercy.....you been hanging around that Craig Dyal guy with the experimenting thing... Get back on that horse soon.....looks like you are riding in the right direction.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I wouldn't even think twice--hammer down
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Yep, you F'ed that up.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Options
    mine was honest

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    Options
    Mine too
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I bet they will taste a lot better than you are thinking. 
    New Orleans LA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    mine was honest
    No I tried to eat them. Trust me. You wouldn't eat them. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    @DoubleEgger nope.  Dumbest move. Lol
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    If they don't taste great, you haven't had enough beer! 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Now that's honesty. Kudos for trying. Sorry you lost them. We have all done it. The worst is when you take a phone call.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You should have tried injecting with angry orchard... Wait. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    LOL, I did a whole chicken on my Weber rotisserie last week. Wasn't paying attention and the whole bird looked like your wangs. Blackened and overcooked. Ate every bit of it. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Angry Orchard would've made no difference. Nice honest post brother, the kind I like. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    You should have tried injecting with angry orchard... Wait. 
    Funny guy. Freaking halarious.  B)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,121
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I smoked a turkey breast for sandwich meat last weekend. Propped it up on a brick that, unbeknownst to me, was holding the dome open. Instead of 250, I was running 550. Skinned it, sliced it, sealed it. 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Sorry for your loss but it could've been an ending like you had a few too many, pulled the plate setter and.....
    I'll take a few burnt wings any day over one of those other stories. 
    Next time :)

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Jeremiah
    Options
    bigguy136 said:
    Sorry for your loss but it could've been an ending like you had a few too many, pulled the plate setter and.....
    I'll take a few burnt wings any day over one of those other stories. 
    Next time :)

What I didn't mention is that when I pulled the platesetter, I set it on the mulch (still driveway egging) and set the mulch on fire. I was too busy trying to salvage the wings, I figured, let it burn!
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Plate setter still has all 3 legs and no melted deck. All good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Look at it this way - you almost nailed @Mickey 's famous wings recipe :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.