Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remote Thermometer: Maverick ET732 or another?

Options
I've had a Maverick ET732 for 4-5 years and it's always been reliable.    Today, it died.   It keeps reading LLL on the temp gauge, no matter the temp.    Can't find a way to reset it.  I want another that does all the same things:   Dual probe for meat and grill, alarms for waking me up during overnight cooks if temp gets off, etc.   Would you buy another Maverick or have you found another brand you find better?
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I've really liked my Maverick. I guess if/when it dies I'll get another Maverick 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Booder34
    Booder34 Posts: 14
    Options
    Anyone anyone have the ThermoPro TP08?  That one doesn't look bad and has decent reviews on Amazon. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
      It keeps reading LLL on the temp gauge, no matter the temp.    
    I had this happen to mine early on, bought new probes and it has worked for several years since....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • XLentEGG
    XLentEGG Posts: 436
    Options
    wife just bought me an grill 2 with four probes for $69.00 on the Bay. I currently use an grill mini for food ,with one half of my maverick for dome temp. caveat emptor ....igrill is bluetooth only...

More meat please !! :-)
  • KeithEGG
    KeithEGG Posts: 10
    Options
    I have an idevices blue tooth and 4 probes it is really nice and accurate it's worth looking at.
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    After reading the rave reviews of Maverick products I bought one. What a pile of crap. In a cup of ice one probe read 21* other read 53*. And never read the same. In boiling water one read 207* the other 216*. Contacted them was told you don't cook ice so who cares. And was told that 5* at boiling temperature is acceptable. While I will agree we don't cook water this things are fairly simple devices. No reason for it not to be accurate across the board...not that 5* either side of boiling is accurate. I tossed this thing in the trash and bought a ThermoWorks handheld.  Ice water....both read 34*....boiling water both read 210*...everytime.....
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I think the ideal wireless thermometer is yet to be built. Meater holds promise but I don't know if they will ever deliver. Igrill would be interesting if there was some sort of Bluetooth-to-wifi converter to extend range. My Maverick 732 works fine but I can certainly imagine something better. 
    New Orleans LA
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    After reading the rave reviews of Maverick products I bought one. What a pile of crap. In a cup of ice one probe read 21* other read 53*. And never read the same. In boiling water one read 207* the other 216*. Contacted them was told you don't cook ice so who cares. And was told that 5* at boiling temperature is acceptable. While I will agree we don't cook water this things are fairly simple devices. No reason for it not to be accurate across the board...not that 5* either side of boiling is accurate. I tossed this thing in the trash and bought a ThermoWorks handheld.  Ice water....both read 34*....boiling water both read 210*...everytime.....

If someone that represents the manufacturer of thermometers told me "who cares, you don't cook ice" I would return it to them. If it's not accurate at ice temperatures, and it's not accurate at steam temperatures, then it is absolutely worthless to me for any temperature, can't be trusted.

That's what benchmark temperatures are for. I have a thermapen, & an iGrill2. They both read the same thing at the same time.

If what @dougcrann said is true, I would never buy a Maverick.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I'm using my flame boss 200 is a wireless thermometer today.  I was getting so much leakeage due to my gasket being shot that I had to close the draft door to almost nothing.  Anyway, it is nice to see the temps on the phone.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Mayberry said:
    I've had a Maverick ET732 for 4-5 years and it's always been reliable.    Today, it died.   It keeps reading LLL on the temp gauge, no matter the temp.    Can't find a way to reset it.  I want another that does all the same things:   Dual probe for meat and grill, alarms for waking me up during overnight cooks if temp gets off, etc.   Would you buy another Maverick or have you found another brand you find better?
    You just have a bad probe. Order a new set. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Dondgc
    Options
    My Maverick reads within a degree or two at actual 212. Accuracy has not been an issue. I don't know if @dougcrann got a bad unit or I just got a good one. It's the only Maverick I've owned so I can't vouch for quality. I can only say that mine works fine. Clearly not everyone has had the same experience. 
    New Orleans LA
  • Dondgc
    Options
    Just read some reviews on Igrill 2. The OP might want to take a look before going in that direction:

http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/igrill-products/1640

New Orleans LA
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Like Dondgc, I only have experience with Maverick. I don't have any complaints with its accuracy or reliability. I would purchase again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have always been very happy with my Guru2. However, yesterday's long brisket cook the CPU overheated and locked up, at a crucial point of the cook. It was in 90*F+ and in the direct sun. 
    I disconnected it from the probes and the AC converter, and placed it in the fridge. After about 20 mins I reinstalled the unit, and although functioning, I did notice it struggled with temp control throughout the rest of the cook. IT food probe worked, read to within +- 2 degrees of my thermapen. I was using a KAB, and I had just completed a thorough cleaning of the XL. I used my temp gun to check grate (pit) temps, and the readings were again good, but although reading 225F on the guru2 there would be sudden down spikes in temp and the CPU did not respond with air acceleration, unless I manually adjusted the temp setting about 5F.
    I may be in the market if I can't get this operating to my satisfaction.
    I will be reading this and and asking questions as well. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    +1 with what @Cen-Tex says.  Get a set of new probes.  You should be good to go.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon